ECT water baptism

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This is from one of our respected members that has not been active here for a while, but used to be very active.
Randy (aka Chickenman).
He is a published author and wrote the following:

Modern Church: Where Tradition Trumps Truth. Toss it, use it, or otherwise do what you like with it (including critique it, if needed).

Water baptism
Baptism is one of the most emotional doctrines that exists in the church today. There is no majority opinion on the subject. Some believe you have to be immersed under water to be saved, and they usually appeal to Acts 2:38 or maybe also to John’s baptism in the early part of the gospel accounts (to support immersing as opposed to sprinkling). Others believe that it is not required for salvation, but it is a symbol of one’s decision to follow Christ. And some would take this position so far as to say that if one is not baptized, then he was never actually saved. Ironically, they do not shy away from Acts 2:38. Often in the manner of a preemptive strike, many in that camp will go straight for the seemingly contradictory Acts 2:38 but will appeal to a manufactured Greek rendering of it for support, since the actual wording of the text itself hurts their position. The passage says:
“Repent and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” Acts 2:38

The message to the intended audience appears clear enough: repentance and baptism are required for the remission of sins. But those whose doctrine is jeopardized by this passage say intelligent-sounding things like:
“The verb translated ‘be baptized’ is in the indirect passive imperative of ‘Baptizmo’ which does not give it the same direct command implied in ‘repent.’…the preposition ‘for’ in the phrase ‘for the remission of your sins’ in Greek is ‘eis’, ‘unto.’ It means ‘for the purpose of identifying you with the remission of sins.’” (Spiros Zodhiates, The Hebrew Greek Key Study Bible (Chatanooga, TN: AMG Publishers, 1984), 1438.)

In other words, the commentator does not support the idea of baptism being a requirement for the remission of sins. So he attempts to convince others that the Greek text really says that baptism was not required at all, it was merely a visual representation of the individual’s repentance. My response to arguments like this is: If that revised Greek rendering is correct, then why have the Greek translators of every single Bible version translated it to read that baptism was indeed a requirement, along with repentance, for the audience’s remission of sins? Could not they have easily translated it differently? See the outcome of several different bible translation committees:

“Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” (NIV)

“Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” (NAS)

“Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.” (KJV)

“Reform, and be baptized each of you on the name of Jesus Christ, to remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit,” (Young’s Literal)

"Repent," Peter said to them, "and be baptized, each of you, in the name of Jesus the Messiah for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (Holman)

“Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” (NKJV)​

Even devotional paraphrases like The Message and The New Living Translation managed to keep it consistent:
Peter said, "Change your life. Turn to God and be baptized, each of you, in the name of Jesus Christ, so your sins are forgiven. (The Message)

Peter replied, “Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (The New Living Translation)

Some believe water baptism is a required step of obedience before one can fully realize his potential in Christ. The phrase, “baptism is an outward sign of an inward change”, is commonly used. Supporting evidence here is more philosophical, noting that Jesus’ ministry began with His baptism. So a believer should follow Jesus’ example if he wants to be completely effective in ministry.

Some immerse completely. Others sprinkle. Some sprinkle babies. And very few others believe that water baptism has no place in the church today.

All cannot be right. Most, therefore, must be wrong.

Baptism was a very important component of the Law for Israel. Hebrew’s author, in referring to the duties of Israel’s priests, commented on “foods and drinks, various washings, and fleshly ordinances” (Heb. 9:10). While washing was required to cleanse oneself and one’s clothes after touching a carcass (Lev. 11:25), from leprosy (Lev. 13 & 14), and after eating what has died naturally or what was torn by beasts (Lev. 17:15), the most recorded purpose of washing was for purification of priests before entering the tabernacle. That is the washing to which the author of Hebrews referred.

“And Aaron and his sons you shall bring to the door of the tabernacle of meeting, and you shall wash them with water.” Ex. 29:4

“Then you shall bring Aaron and his sons to the door of the tabernacle of meeting and wash them with water.” Ex. 40:12​

And Moses said to the congregation, “This is what the LORD commanded to be done.” Then Moses brought Aaron and his sons and washed them with water. Lev. 8:5-6

“Thus Aaron shall come into the Holy Place: with the blood of a young bull as a sin offering, and of a ram as a burnt offering. He shall put the holy linen tunic and the linen trousers on his body; he shall be girded with a linen sash, and with the linen turban he shall be attired. These are holy garments. Therefore he shall wash his body in water, and put them on.” Lev. 16:3-4

Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying: “Take the Levites from among the children of Israel and cleanse them ceremonially. Thus you shall do to them to cleanse them: Sprinkle water of purification on them, and let them shave all their body, and let them wash their clothes, and so make themselves clean. Num. 8:5-7​

This act of cleansing was more than simply a removal of dirt. It was part of the purification process of the priesthood (Lev. 8). Even in the case of the man who ate “what has died naturally” (Lev. 17:15), the cleansing had much greater significance than simply washing the filth off his body. It was required to remove his guilt (v. 16). But aside from the requirement for priests to be consecrated through washing, and the few instances requiring a native or a sojourner to be washed according to the Law, it was not a general requirement for remission of sins in the Old Testament text.

But an interesting development occurred as Daniel’s prophetic period of 69 weeks approached its end. Just a few years before Pentecost and the beginning of the 70th week, John the Baptist came preaching, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!” And in conjunction with his message, he baptized the masses into the waters of the Jordan River. His baptism was one “of repentance for the remission of sins” (Mark 1:4). Israelites from all over Judea went out to him and were baptized by him, confessing their sins (Mark 1:5).

What does John’s baptism have to do with the priestly washings? You should recall the following passage concerning God’s plan for Israel.

“’Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people; for all the earth is Mine. And you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words which you shall speak to the children of Israel.” Ex. 19:5-6​

In the gospel accounts, God’s program was still on track and heading toward the long-awaited kingdom. Therefore, in preparation for the time of the prophesied 70th week, Israel was reminded of the coming kingdom and commanded to repent. For God would have them be an entire nation of priests through which the Gentile world would come to God. And consistent with the teachings of the Law, priests were required to be consecrated and cleansed through the washing of water referred to in Hebrews and translated in the gospels as…“baptism.” It should therefore be no surprise that Jesus Himself was baptized, for He too was an Israelite. Though He would be the Savior of the nation and world, He still upheld the requirement of the Law.

The idea of baptism in the gospel accounts being a priestly baptism is further supported by the fact that a dispute arose between some of John’s disciples and some of the other Jews about purification. When Jesus and His disciples went into the land of Judea, they began baptizing. John was also baptizing in Aenon near Salim. And the scriptures tell us:

Then there arose a dispute between some of John’s disciples and the Jews about purification. John 3:25​

John’s disciples questioned why anyone other than their Rabbi (John) would be administering the rite. And that they referred to it as purification showed that they understood its purpose as a cleansing ritual, just as it had been for the previous 1500 years.

This priestly purpose was why Jesus included baptism in His commission to His chosen apostles (Matt. 28:19). The nation would need to be washed for the remission of their sins in order to be included in the priesthood. Otherwise, they would be baptized not with water, but with judgment.

“I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.” Matt. 3:11-12

“The Son of Man will send out His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who practice lawlessness, and will cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.” Matt. 13:41-42​

Peter, in keeping with his commission and consistent with the requirement for priesthood, preached water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38). And as promised by Jesus, believers would be filled with the Spirit Who would empower them to perform miraculous works as a sign of the end being imminent . Philip baptized those who believed “the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ” (Acts 8:12), and he baptized the Ethiopian who was on his way back to Egypt after worshipping in Jerusalem (Acts 8:27), both acts consistent with the kingdom commission. Peter, unaware of God’s change in His program (He only knew that God has now cleansed that which was formerly unclean. (Acts 10:9-16)) , required the house of Cornelius to be baptized AFTER the Holy Spirit fell on them (Acts 10:44-48)*. And Ananias, according to the knowledge he had under the New Covenant dispensation, had Paul baptized following his calling (Acts 22:16 cf. Acts 9:17-18).

There lies the answer to the debate. Water baptism was for chosen Israel. Nowhere is it demanded in the writings of Paul for the Body of Christ. Instead, we are baptized by the Spirit into Christ.

“For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.” I Cor. 12:13​

While Israel had several baptisms (priestly, touching a dead animal, remission of sins, etc.), Paul proclaims that there is…

“one Lord, one faith, one baptism” Eph. 4:5​

So we should not insert the word “water” into such passages as:

“Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?” Rom. 6:3

“For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.” Gal. 3:27

“…buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.” Col. 2:12​

For he tells us clearly that our one baptism is Spirit baptism into Christ. And being in Christ, therefore, we assume the attributes of Christ – His crucifixion (Rom. 6:3), His resurrection (Col. 2:12), His holiness and blamelessness (Eph. 1:4), and sonship (Eph. 1:5).

For those who reject this presentation of baptism, consideration should be taken of the fact that Jesus, in His “Great Commission” of Matthew 28:18-20, commanded that His followers go into the world and baptize all men everywhere (among other things). He sent them to baptize, just as God sent John the Baptist to baptize.

“I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me…” John 1:33​

Ironically, however, Paul said he was not sent to baptize.

“For Christ did not send me to baptize…” I Cor. 1:17a​

If Paul and the Body of Christ were and are under the “Great Commission” and were and are, therefore, sent to baptize others, how could Paul say he was not sent to do that? Would he not be rebelling against a God-given commission in saying such?

Though he was not sent to baptize, Paul apparently utilized water baptism on certain occasions (thanking God that he did not baptize more, I Cor. 1:14). Though Paul taught freedom from the Law (I Cor. 9:1), he also taught compromise on trivial matters (Rom. 14; I Cor. 8 and 9). He therefore agreed to ask Gentile believers who worshipped in cities where law-abiding Jews lived to uphold certain aspects of the Law (Acts 15:28-29) so as not to offend the Jews. And he willingly abided by the Law as a Jew in order to reach his countrymen (I Cor. 9:20). So it should be no surprise that he also baptized Gaius (a Corinthian Jew), Crispus (the chief ruler of the synagogue in Corinth), or anyone else in order to comply with their law and to avoid needlessly offending the other Jews (“…to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews…”).

Israel under the Old Covenant and New Covenant had water baptism as a requirement. Paul taught that we, however, are spiritually baptized into Christ. Understanding the distinction between the writings for Israel and the writings for the Body of Christ raises other thought-provoking questions , but it resolves the debate on water baptism in the church today.

*Peter preached that baptism would be required before one could receive the gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38). This act of God dispensing the Spirit upon the house of Cornelius before Peter completed his message was indicative of His change of plans.

turbosixx

Excellent write up but here are 4 problems I see off the top of my head. Sorry it’s long but I wanted to present evidence from scripture to support my claims.

1) "Spiritual" baptism
Nowhere is it demanded in the writings of Paul for the Body of Christ. Instead, we are baptized by the Spirit into Christ.
“For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.” I Cor. 12:13
So we should not insert the word “water” into such passages as:
Rom. 6:3 Gal. 3:27 Col. 2:12
For he tells us clearly that our one baptism is Spirit baptism into Christ.

This one scripture is used to skew all the others that mention baptism. Looking at 1 Cor. 12:13, the 1st Century readers would see it as “when I was water baptized the spirit added me into the body”.
Consider this, in 1 Cor. 1 when Paul says he baptized, the readers understood it was water.
In chapter 10 Paul is warning the readers to avoid Israel’s mistakes. He therefore draws as close a parallel with the Israelites to his readers as he can. He tells them they were “baptized into Moses” and he shows it as a water baptism by tell them TWICE “under the cloud and in the sea”. He then tells them they “ate the same spiritual food and drank the same spiritual drink” - Christ. The readers would see it as “I was baptized (in water) into Christ and I spiritually eat and drink Christ when I take communion.

There are other passages that support the view that when we are water baptized the Spirit adds us and that baptism isn’t just an outward showing.
Acts 2:41 So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls. Who added them when they were "water" baptized?
It’s an appeal to God.
1 Pt. 3:21 ..-not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience-

2) In the name of
People are overlooking one small but very important detail. We know there is one name under Heaven which saves man. How do we call upon his name? By being baptized “in the name of” Jesus.
Acts 8:16 For He had not yet fallen upon any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
Acts 10:47 "Surely no one can refuse the water for these to be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did, can he?" 48 And he ordered them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.
Acts 22:16 Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name.'
Acts 19:1-7 If we are to believe that we are spiritually baptized at belief, then Paul would never have asked this question, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?"
If we are to believe that the Holy Spirit baptizes us into the body at belief, when Paul finds out they hadn’t heard of the HS, why does he ask them “Into what were you baptized?” Does the Spirit not know what to baptize into? Shouldn’t he question the gospel they heard or did they believe?
When he finds out they received John’s baptism he baptizes them “in the name of” the Lord Jesus, v5.

3) Spiritual Israel
When we look at things spiritually and not physically it makes sense. What makes one a physical Israelite? Being born a descendant of Abraham and circumcision. Paul said we meet those requirements spiritually.
Phil. 3:2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the mutilation! 3 For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the Spirit, rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh,
Col. 2: 11 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12 buried with Him in baptism,
Gal. 3:29 And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.
Rom. 9:8 That is, those who are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God; but the children of the promise are counted as the seed.
Gal. 4:28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are children of promise.

4) 1 Cor. 1:17 is taken out of context.
I’ve asked multiple times for someone from the mad camp to explain Paul’s point based on context but no one has so I will give my understanding based on context.
If we look at the context, people are being divided based on WHO baptized them. Paul asks “13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? The answer is no. The men who baptize are just that, men. Christ is the one who died for us and who’s name we call upon. It’s not important WHO baptizes. When Paul says “was not sent to baptize” what he means is that if he preaches to 1,000 people and 500 believe, he is not obligated to baptize all 500 personally. Any believer can baptize them but he is obligated to preach the gospel.

So we have a claim that Paul wasn’t sent to baptize. If he wasn’t sent to, then why did he?
The reason given that Paul did baptize is
he also taught compromise on trivial matters…..So it should be no surprise that he also baptized Gaius,…. or anyone else in order to comply with their law and to avoid needlessly offending the other Jews.

I agree Paul does “become all things to all men” but he does not compromise when it comes to the truth of the gospel and baptism isn't a trivial matter.

Baptizing everyone wasn’t part of the Jewish law but from God.
Matt. 21:25 The baptism of John—where was it from? From heaven or from men?” And they reasoned among themselves, saying, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ He will say to us, ‘Why then did you not believe him?’

Baptism “in the name of Jesus” was from Christ, not the law.
Matt. 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

The main thing that offended Jews was not keeping circumcision and we can see much debate about it. On one occasion Paul did “become as a Jew” and circumcised Timothy to not hinder the Jews from listening to him, but we are clearly told why he compromised. We are never told why Paul baptized if he was “not commissioned” to do so.
Since circumcision isn’t part of the gospel, we see Paul standing against it for the “truth” of the gospel.
Gal. 2:5 to whom we did not yield submission even for an hour, that the truth of the gospel might continue with you.
We never see Paul standing against baptism and even baptizing non-Jews like the jailer with no explanation why he "compromised".

Last edited:

DAN P

turbosixx;4849784 4) [B said:
1 Cor. 1:17 is taken out of context.[/B]
I’ve asked multiple times for someone from the mad camp to explain Paul’s point based on context but no one has so I will give my understanding based on context./QUOTE]

Hi and you want Context !!

Here it is , For Christ did not SEND me to BAPTIZE but to preach the gospel , not with wisdom of word , in order that the cross of Christ should not made EMPTY !!

#1 There is a verb SENT /APOSTELLO is in the AORIST TENSE at when Paul was saved and in the ACTIVE VOICE which means he was sent bt Christ , who is the subject here and in the INDICATIVE MOOD that Christ did send Paul !!

#2 , The second verb is TO PREACH and is in the PRESENT TENSE action in the dispensation of the Grace of God Acts 20:24 and the MIDDLE VOICE means that Paul is participating with Christ !!

#3 The next verb is MADE OF NONE EFFECT /KENOO means that from the beginning of Paul's being sent is in the AORIST or Past tense and in the PASSIVE VOICE and that is Christ producing the results

Also notice that are 3 NEGATIVES here NOT SENT , , NOT WITH WISDOM and NOT to be of None Effect or Empty !!

The Greek word BAPTIZO / BAPTISM is Greek translitered word and has many meaning , like Placed , Identity , Water ,
Baptized like in Eph 4:5 , Washing in Heb 10:9 !!
This is why Gal 2:18 is very handy as Paul as a PHARISEE and build again what Paul was destroying the MESSIANNIC ASSEMBL or the 12 apostles ministry and that meant BAPTISM !!

dan p

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hi and read Rom 6:3 and 4 eplains it all !!

So what does BAPTIZO / BAPTISM means in these verses ??

We know by biblical examples that baptism in the NT means immersion in water to symbolize burial.

In Romans 6:4 NET Paul said, "Therefore we have been buried with him through baptism into death, in order that just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too may live a new life."

We know from 1 Corinthians 12:13 NET that each of us is baptized into the body of Christ by the one Spirit.

DAN P

We know by biblical examples that baptism in the NT means immersion in water to symbolize burial.

In Romans 6:4 NET Paul said, "Therefore we have been buried with him through baptism into death, in order that just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too may live a new life."

We know from 1 Corinthians 12:13 NET that each of us is baptized into the body of Christ by the one Spirit.

Hi and I have to clean up and go home and will explain BAPTIZO in Rom 6:L3 and 4 !!

dan p

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
There's only one type of baptism, in which one is immersed in water and receives the Spirit.

MADists have switched this up entirely, believing in essentially a prayer baptism as opposed to an actual baptism- they simply call it a 'spiritual baptism'. Anyone can see the madness in that, it needs no more rebuke.

And why would somebody have qualms with baptizing others in the first place? Easy- it makes 'evangelizing' as simple as singing a bit of poetry- that is the only reason MADism is 70 million strong compared to other cults, which altogether comprise of roughly 20 million.

And yes, it is a cult. It's primary function is to get people 'rapture ready', and rationalizes the rejection of a universal interpretation and covenant. These are definitively cultist activities by the very demand of Catholic and Reformed principles.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hi and just where is the Greek word for IMMERSION found ??

In 1 John 5:6-8 NET: Jesus Christ is the one who came by water and blood - not by the water only, but by the water and the blood. And the Spirit is the one who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth. For there are three that testify, the Spirit and the water and the blood, and these three are in agreement.

The Spirit, the water, and the blood agree.

dodge

Hi and just where is the Greek word for IMMERSION found ??

dan p

The NAS New Testament Greek Lexicon
Strong's Number: 907 Browse Lexicon
Original Word Word Origin
baptizo from a derivative of (911)
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Baptizo 1:529,92
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
bap-tid'-zo
Definition
to dip repeatedly, to immerse, to submerge (of vessels sunk)
to cleanse by dipping or submerging, to wash, to make clean with water, to wash one's self, bathe
to overwhelm
Not to be confused with 911, bapto. The clearest example that showsthe meaning of baptizo is a text from the Greek poet and physicianNicander, who lived about 200 B.C. It is a recipe for making picklesand is helpful because it uses both words. Nicander says that inorder to make a pickle, the vegetable should first be 'dipped'(bapto) into boiling water and then 'baptised' (baptizo) in thevinegar solution. Both verbs concern the immersing of vegetables in asolution. But the first is temporary. The second, the act ofbaptising the vegetable, produces a permanent change. When used in the New Testament, this word more often refers to ourunion and identification with Christ than to our water baptism. e.g.Mark 16:16. 'He that believes and is baptised shall be saved'.Christ is saying that mere intellectual assent is not enough. Theremust be a union with him, a real change, like the vegetable to thepickle! Bible Study Magazine, James Montgomery Boice, May 1989.
NAS Word Usage - Total: 76

http://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/greek/nas/baptizo.html

SimpleMan77

water baptism

There's only one type of baptism, in which one is immersed in water and receives the Spirit.

MADists have switched this up entirely, believing in essentially a prayer baptism as opposed to an actual baptism- they simply call it a 'spiritual baptism'. Anyone can see the madness in that, it needs no more rebuke.

And why would somebody have qualms with baptizing others in the first place? Easy- it makes 'evangelizing' as simple as singing a bit of poetry- that is the only reason MADism is 70 million strong compared to other cults, which altogether comprise of roughly 20 million.

And yes, it is a cult. It's primary function is to get people 'rapture ready', and rationalizes the rejection of a universal interpretation and covenant. These are definitively cultist activities by the very demand of Catholic and Reformed principles.

Actually the reason they do it is because they want so desperately to prove that no obedience is required in order to be saved, and no amount of disobedience can amount to walking away from God (i.e. being lost).

It makes living for God a matter of thinking the thought "I believe", after which time you can live any way you wish. It totally "turns the grace of God into lasciviousness (license to sin)", but of course that scripture was written by Jude, therefore only being applicable to Jews in their view.

They turn any obedience to God into a "work to earn salvation" so they can convince themselves that anything that is easy on their flesh is perfectly ok, and anything that is a "living sacrifice" is poison (lest we try to earn God's grace).

If course they have to also twist Paul's words because he says a lot that doesn't agree with their doctrine, but they are ok with that I guess.

I hate to put it that bluntly, but it is the truth

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Last edited:

SimpleMan77

water baptism

I'll add that some have been deceived honestly, but "flesh" is the underlying driver behind it.

Truly honest people will understand that we can't earn God's grace, but it teaches and enables us to "deny ungodliness and worldly lusts, and live soberly, righteously and godly in this present world".

Obedience in light of grace is Paul's way of putting it. Romans 12:1-2. Grace renews our minds, and teaches us how to prove what is the good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God.

Last edited:

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Actually the reason they do it is because they want so desperately to prove that no obedience is required in order to be saved, and no amount of disobedience can amount to walking away from God (i.e. being lost).

It makes living for God a matter of thinking the thought "I believe", after which time you can live any way you wish. It totally "turns the grace of God into lasciviousness (license to sin)", but of course that scripture was written by Jude, therefore only being applicable to Jews in their view.

They turn any obedience to God into a "work to earn salvation" so they can convince themselves that anything that is easy on their flesh is perfectly ok, and anything that is a "living sacrifice" is poison (lest we try to earn God's grace).

If course they have to also twist Paul's words because he says a lot that doesn't agree with their doctrine, but they are ok with that I guess.

I hate to put it that bluntly, but it is the truth

There is a common, worldly kind of 'Christianity' in this day, which many people have- a cheap Christianity which offends nobody, and requires no sacrifice- which costs nothing, and is worth nothing.
~JC Ryle

SimpleMan77

There is a common, worldly kind of 'Christianity' in this day, which many people have- a cheap Christianity which offends nobody, and requires no sacrifice- which costs nothing, and is worth nothing.
~JC Ryle

David understood much about grace far before the time. Here's what he said:

1 Chronicles 21:24
And king David said to Ornan, Nay; but I will verily buy it for the full price: for I will not take that which is thine for the Lord, nor offer burnt offerings without cost.

An offering that doesn't cost something is no offering at all. Paul's "living sacrifice", by much modern theology, is not "sacrifice". To sacrifice is to give until it hurts. That's not "earning salvation".

turbosixx

Hi and you want Context !!

Here it is , For Christ did not SEND me to BAPTIZE but to preach the gospel

dan p

You have to be kidding.

That is not how one determines context. Keeping a verse in context with the point of the passage is not found within the single verse in question.

Are you really searching for truth or proof of your viewpoint?

Here's a clue as to the point of the passage. He starts with 10 Now I beseech you, brethren, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfected together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Last edited:

turbosixx

How does spiritual baptism picture death?

I've wondered the same thing. Water baptism is clearly in the likeness of Christ's death, burial and resurrection. I believe that is why he said to "make disciples baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit."

DAN P

The NAS New Testament Greek Lexicon
Strong's Number: 907 Browse Lexicon
Original Word Word Origin
baptizo from a derivative of (911)
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Baptizo 1:529,92
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
bap-tid'-zo
Definition
to dip repeatedly, to immerse, to submerge (of vessels sunk)
to cleanse by dipping or submerging, to wash, to make clean with water, to wash one's self, bathe
to overwhelm
Not to be confused with 911, bapto. The clearest example that showsthe meaning of baptizo is a text from the Greek poet and physicianNicander, who lived about 200 B.C. It is a recipe for making picklesand is helpful because it uses both words. Nicander says that inorder to make a pickle, the vegetable should first be 'dipped'(bapto) into boiling water and then 'baptised' (baptizo) in thevinegar solution. Both verbs concern the immersing of vegetables in asolution. But the first is temporary. The second, the act ofbaptising the vegetable, produces a permanent change. When used in the New Testament, this word more often refers to ourunion and identification with Christ than to our water baptism. e.g.Mark 16:16. 'He that believes and is baptised shall be saved'.Christ is saying that mere intellectual assent is not enough. Theremust be a union with him, a real change, like the vegetable to thepickle! Bible Study Magazine, James Montgomery Boice, May 1989.
NAS Word Usage - Total: 76

http://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/greek/nas/baptizo.html

Hi and I just looked at G 907 and it does not says it is a translitered word at all 1

And just where do you say that the word IMMERSTION is used ??

dan p