Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why was it necessary for God to test the faith of Abraham?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECT: Why was it necessary for God to test the faith of Abraham?

+/- 13 years, God tested Abraham's faith, the final test being the command to sacrifice his son Isaac.

Why do you think God handled Abraham in such a way to prove him __ and over such a long period of time?
    "That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;" Philippians 2:15 (KJV)

great question

in that you would actually suggest that faith must be tested

abraham was chosen
    he is one of the few
    this from a passage often misquoted

I think abraham flunked the test
    he should have tested the spirit

what spirit would ask us to kill our child?
    a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

Comment

[QUOTE=chrysostom;4288366]
      great question

in that you would actually suggest that faith must be tested
      Was not the faith Jesus also tested? __ and He was indwelt by the Word of God.

abraham was chosen
      he is one of the few
      this from a passage often misquoted

I think abraham flunked the test
      he should have tested the spirit

One in whom I have abandoned my life.

God called Abraham His friend. Would it not be reasonable to believe the voice of a friend as God, would be discernable?
      "That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;" Philippians 2:15 (KJV)

Comment

delete

Comment

[QUOTE=Cross Reference;4288369]
          Originally posted by chrysostom View Post

Was not the faith Jesus also tested?
          does not compute

I couldn't ask a question like that

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Reference View Post

God called Abraham His friend. Would it not be reasonable to believe the voice of a friend as God, would be discernable?
            they make movies about those hearing the voice of God

Comment

It was a type. What Spirit would ordain the sacrifice of his own Son?

Comment

[QUOTE=chrysostom;4288381]

does not compute

I couldn't ask a question like that
                Let go your man-creed for a more complete understanding, why don't you?

Two issues involved when asking about the faith of both individuals that have a great bearing on denominational beliefs.

1. Jesus was God, so why the need to test Him?

2. Abraham was gifted faith so why the need to test him?

In either case there is a "supposed" absolute involved that has to be dealt with __ and can be, unless one worships an irrational denominational belief.

Comment

genesis 22:12 He said, “Do not stretch out your hand against the lad, and do nothing to him; for now I know that you [b]fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.

sounds like a test to me..
                  for an ultimate end of (for now I know that you fear God)

It is also a point of The Word having limited his own foreknowledge in order to have true relationship with His children. Not robotic programming.

Comment

Originally posted by jamie View Post
                    It was a type. What Spirit would ordain the sacrifice of his own Son?
                    Great Gifts only come through great trials...

Arsenios
                    Arsenios

Comment

1. Jesus was God, so why the need to test Him?

2. Abraham was gifted faith so why the need to test him?
                      abraham was not God
                      and
                      just because he was chosen does not mean he wasn't tested

Comment

Originally posted by Word based mystic View Post
                        genesis 22:12 He said, “Do not stretch out your hand against the lad, and do nothing to him; for now I know that you [b]fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.

sounds like a test to me..
                        Either with Abraham or Jesus, why would God have to test the faith He gifts to anyone unless to see if has taken root; to see if it is enough, maybe He needs to gift more?

Comment

Either with Abraham or Jesus, why would God have to test the faith He gifts to anyone unless to see if has taken root; to see if it is enough, maybe He needs to gift more?
                          so this is just a clever argument for free will

nice going

Comment

so this is just a clever argument for free will

nice going
                            Indeed. So was Jesus God at that point in time?

2. Was Abraham totally depraved and needed gifted faith?

Comment

a portion of faith is all that is needed. even as small as a mustard seed.

ephesians 3:16-19 shows how to activate that faith and grow it.

by comprehending and growing/embracing Gods fullness of love
                              we become trustworthy to

(be able to be filled with all the fullness of God)

assessments of trustworthiness is throughout the OT. and NT.

If love is the motivating factor for what we do in Faith then we become trustworthy.

To be able to fulfill the more of Gods plans.

i.e. abraham becomes trustworthy to produce seed that will be as numerous than the stars.

Comment

Working...
                              X