Easter, the great feast of the Paschal Mystery,

WYRose

BANNED
Banned
I think all true Christians ie not pagan Catholics or Jews etc are freed from Old Testament laws by Acts 15:28
28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.'

God's Truth

I think all true Christians ie not pagan Catholics or Jews etc are freed from Old Testament laws by Acts 15:28
28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.'

They are NOT freed from it if they are still doing those things.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
https://www.facebook.com/Dr.ScottHah...28195920534831

Every year, as we prepare to celebrate Easter, the great feast of the Paschal Mystery, we undergo purification through forty days of desert: the “forty days” of Lent. Lent is the season that begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Holy Saturday, the day before Easter. When we exclude Sundays (the ancient Fathers forbade fasting on Sundays), that usually makes for a total of forty days.

The number forty is primarily symbolic—and it is richly symbolic. The earliest reference we have to a forty-day preparation for Easter is in the canons of the Council of Nicaea (a.d. 325). One of the most compact expressions of its meaning, however, appears in the work of St. John Cassian in the fifth century. He describes Lent as “the tithes of the year,” because it is roughly a tenth of the days in a year. We give those days to the Lord as a special offering; and, in doing so, we imitate his own fast, as he intended us to do. Cassian also notes the Old Testament models of Israel in the wilderness, and of Moses and Elijah, who also underwent fortyday fasts.

If we are lay people living in the world, we need not take on a monastic fast of bread and water. In my country, we follow the Lenten custom of fasting by “giving something up,” preferably a favorite food or pastime to which we are unduly attached. We may also stop eating between meals, or skip dessert, or forgo second helpings. We return it all to God for forty days, not because any of it is “bad,” but because it is indeed very good. Only good things should be offered in sacrifice to God; only the best of the harvest could be offered as a tithe. We give them to God so that we learn not to put anything in God’s place in our lives.

—I hope you enjoyed this excerpt from my book “Signs of Life.” Learn more at https://stpaulcenter.com/product/sig...biblical-roots

Scott Hahn

The Paschal Mystery in Everyday Life
https://www.loyolapress.com/our-cath...-everyday-life

The liturgy of the Church, the celebration of the sacraments, and the seasons of Lent and Easter are particular times when we pay attention to what Jesus Christ has done for us through his passion, death, Resurrection, and Ascension. Yet these are not the only times when we experience the Paschal Mystery. It is a part of our everyday life; it is the undercurrent of all that we do and all that we are.

What does this mean? How do I experience the Paschal Mystery? How does it affect me on a day-to-day basis? How do I become aware of its presence in my life in a real way and not just something I know about?

First, let’s look at the Paschal Mystery in general terms, without any religious lingo. The Paschal Mystery is basically the process of dying and rising, death and new life. We see this all around us and in our own lives.

For example, we experience the process of dying and rising each year as we go through the different seasons. Summer is a time of vibrancy and life, which then gives way to fall, when leaves on the trees die and fall away and many plants seem to die. Winter comes and with it the frost and chill that seem to halt all growth and life. But after winter, when it seemed as if everything had died away, spring arrives. New life surrounds us. Daffodils and crocuses begin to push through the once-frozen ground. The bare branches of trees begin to show signs of new leaves.

Another example within nature is a process that many park rangers use—a controlled burn. Certain areas are purposefully set on fire in order to improve the habitat for plants and wildlife. It’s hard to believe that from the charred tree trunks and withered, blackened brush can come a healthy ecosystem with stronger trees and plants. But that’s exactly what happens.

We are a part of nature too. Not only do we experience the seasons and see the process of dying and rising, we also have our own dyings and risings. Sometimes these are obvious—for example, a grandparent dies or a baby is born. But other dyings and risings are less obvious. An experience of dying might be when you have an argument with a friend that leaves you feeling upset, or you see a homeless mother and child and don’t know what to do to help. An experience of rising might be reconciling with someone you hurt or who hurt you, talking with your family about the homeless mother and child and discovering that an organization like the St. Vincent de Paul Society has the people and the resources to care for people who are homeless. These are some of the dyings and risings that we experience every day.

Now when we look at the Paschal Mystery in the context of our religious beliefs and the life of Jesus Christ, we come to a deeper meaning of dying and rising. Jesus Christ’s passion, death, Resurrection, and Ascension are the ultimate event of dying and rising, of death and new life. We learn from Jesus that new life can come from death, that we can find meaning in tough times, that there really is light in the darkness. We learn that all life has this rhythm of dying and rising and that God is with us in good times and in bad. Christ’s experience of suffering, death, and new life has forever changed us and given us a different way of living. Death no longer has the last word. Plus, when we encounter tough times, we have the comfort of knowing that God has “been there, done that” and the power of hope that new life will come from death. Becoming conscious of our own dyings and risings helps us have a greater sense of compassion for others and a greater willingness to reach out.

Think about your own life. What is a dying or rising that you have experienced today, this week, this year? Reflect on that experience in light of the event of Jesus Christ’s passion, death, Resurrection, and Ascension.

WYRose

BANNED
Banned
You are a stupid idiot. Crawl back under your rock.

Oh dear. Should I be praying to that dead woman Mary in her grave while I crawl into the darkness with all you doomed Catholics?

Burn that perverted Catholic bible and get a good Christian Bible like a NKJV and read it.

God's Truth

Everything I have posted is the truth, including the part about you being a liar. You are obviously a born liar. Live with it and own it. It is you.

I could see you maybe talking like that to a family member of yours out of anger, but you really want to talk like that to someone online?

You can't defend your doctrines with truth, so you defend it with verbal abuse and lies.

WYRose

BANNED
Banned
Catholics is pagans.
The subheading of this forum is: 'This forum is exclusively for those who consider themselves Christian and consider the Bible to be the inspired word of God.'
Bible says people who worship idols and speak to the dead will be slaughtered.
Catholics and Muslims worship idols and speak to the dead..
They will be slaughtered.
Saying this is Preaching the Gospel.

God's Truth

Catholics is pagans.
The subheading of this forum is: 'This forum is exclusively for those who consider themselves Christian and consider the Bible to be the inspired word of God.'
Bible says people who worship idols and speak to the dead will be slaughtered.
Catholics and Muslims worship idols and speak to the dead..
They will be slaughtered.
Saying this is Preaching the Gospel.

My parents and many relatives are Catholics, as far back as Catholicism goes. I think that most are not condemned for it, since most could not have learned anything different.

However, times have changed not too long ago, and we all have access to a Bible now, and there are no excuses as there once was.

WYRose

BANNED
Banned
All living Catholics are condemned while the dead one will have to wait until Judgment Day to discover if GOD is willing to accept they were led astray from lack of knowldege.
That is the meaning of Jesus's words at Matthew 10:15 15 Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.

I take that verse to mean some of the people of the 5 cities will be pardoned. While all who refuse the Gospel have no hope.

WYRose

BANNED
Banned
All living Catholics are condemned while the dead one will have to wait until Judgment Day to discover if GOD is willing to accept they were led astray from lack of knowldege.
That is the meaning of Jesus's words at Matthew 10:15 15 Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.

I take that verse to mean some of the people of the 5 cities will be pardoned. While all who refuse the Gospel have no hope.

ttruscott

The greatest mystery of all: The almighty God who became man and let himself be nailed to a cross so men could be saved and be with God.

Curious...in my theology none of this is mysterious but is plainly talked about and clearly accepted as truth.