Who are Gods Chosen, the Israel of God?

Hobie

BANNED
Banned
Everyone always tries to argue who are God's people, the 'chosen', the 'remnant', the 'true believers', 'spiritual Israel', and we hear some say this and some say that, but what does God say.

It is God who decides who are His people and who will be saved, those who say "I have accepted Christ" but dont really mean it or follow as He asks will be set aside, those who say I follow all the laws but do not love God or see the true meaning of the law will be set aside, those who use "cheap grace" to cover their sin will be set aside, and those who did all the works helping the poor and needy not from love but to gain favor of man and God will be set aside.....

Man cannot declare 'I am saved' or take eternal life as a prize from their own works or labors, it is a gift through Jesus Christ and it is God not man who decides whether you accepted it and are His people when He judges:

Romans 9:4-8
4 Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises;
5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.
6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

Romans 9:30-33
30 What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.
31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.
32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;
33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Many who 'say' they are saved and declare that they are 'righteous' but dont believe that God has the final say, will stumbled over the "stumbling stone" as they depend not on God but on themselves or on man's desire or effort to gain eternal life and have no faith. So who are the Israel of God, lets look at Galatians 6:

Galatians 6:14-16
14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.
15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.
16 And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.

Here is very interesting study on the issue..."The proper interpretation and translation of the last phrase in Galatians 6:16 has become a matter of controversy in the past century or so. Formerly, "The Israel of God" was understood as a name for the Church. The καὶ ("and") which precedes the phrase upon the Israel of God, was understood as an explicative καὶ. This understanding of the grammar is reflected in the Revised Standard Version's Peace and mercy be upon all who walk by this rule, upon the Israel of God, and in the New International Version's: even to the Israel of God. It is not necessary, to understand the καὶ as an explicative in order to get substantially the same sense. If it be regarded as an ordinary connective καὶ, the all who take this principal, correctly refers to the individual Christians, Jewish and Gentile, and Israel of God to the same Christians, regarded collectively; being the entire messianic community."

So the rendering "and upon the Israel of God" (KJV and others) is acceptable enough, provided it is not misapplied. In any case, it is clear that in this verse Paul cannot be pronouncing a benediction upon persons who are not included in: All who keep the Christian rule….The entire argument of the epistle contradicts any idea that here in 6:16 he would give a blessing to those who are not Christians.

The phrase has become controversial because the traditional interpretation conflicts with principles of interpretation associated with Dispensationalism. Dispensationalists, those who believe in a ‘rapture to heaven’, insist on maintaining a sharp distinction between "Israel" and "the Church".
They refute the idea that here Paul is using the phrase "Israel of God" in a sense that includes Gentiles, because this undermines their contention that "the Church" is distinguished from "Israel" in Scripture. This major tenet of dispensationalist hermeneutics, is a false teaching.

The dispensationalist explanation of the meaning of "The Israel of God" in Galatians 6:16 is contrary to Paul’s main point, in which it is said that: in Christ Jesus ... there is neither Jew nor Greek. This central idea of the epistle, is expressed in the third chapter: "you are all one in Christ Jesus ... if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's offspring" Galatians 3:26-29

The fascination with the secular state of Israel which is so characteristic of dispensationalists today has led many of them to think that the restoration of the Jews as "God's people" has already occurred, despite the fact that their rapture has not yet happened and the Jews continue to reject Christ. Dispensationalists insist that this unbelieving Israel according to the flesh must be blessed by everyone. But of course this premise is totally wrong, because there is no blessing for anyone who rejects Christ.

The attempt to limit the meaning of "Israel of God" to the carnal sons of Judah betrays a fundamentally wrong approach to biblical interpretation, and to New Testament theology in particular. I give below some excerpts from writers who are more accurately express the meaning of Galatians 6:16. Even in these authors I find, however, an insufficient appreciation of Paul's teaching. Peace be ... upon the Israel of God, is a positive blessing and affirmation of true Christian believers as the spiritual Israel of God. " http://www.bible-researcher.com/gal6-16.html

DAN P

Everyone always tries to argue who are God's people, the 'chosen', the 'remnant', the 'true believers', 'spiritual Israel', and we hear some say this and some say that, but what does God say.

It is God who decides who are His people and who will be saved, those who say "I have accepted Christ" but dont really mean it or follow as He asks will be set aside, those who say I follow all the laws but do not love God or see the true meaning of the law will be set aside, those who use "cheap grace" to cover their sin will be set aside, and those who did all the works helping the poor and needy not from love but to gain favor of man and God will be set aside.....

Man cannot declare 'I am saved' or take eternal life as a prize from their own works or labors, it is a gift through Jesus Christ and it is God not man who decides whether you accepted it and are His people when He judges:

Romans 9:4-8
4 Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises;
5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.
6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

Romans 9:30-33
30 What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.
31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.
32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;
33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Many who 'say' they are saved and declare that they are 'righteous' but dont believe that God has the final say, will stumbled over the "stumbling stone" as they depend not on God but on themselves or on man's desire or effort to gain eternal life and have no faith. So who are the Israel of God, lets look at Galatians 6:

Galatians 6:14-16
14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.
15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.
16 And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.

Here is very interesting study on the issue..."The proper interpretation and translation of the last phrase in Galatians 6:16 has become a matter of controversy in the past century or so. Formerly, "The Israel of God" was understood as a name for the Church. The καὶ ("and") which precedes the phrase upon the Israel of God, was understood as an explicative καὶ. This understanding of the grammar is reflected in the Revised Standard Version's Peace and mercy be upon all who walk by this rule, upon the Israel of God, and in the New International Version's: even to the Israel of God. It is not necessary, to understand the καὶ as an explicative in order to get substantially the same sense. If it be regarded as an ordinary connective καὶ, the all who take this principal, correctly refers to the individual Christians, Jewish and Gentile, and Israel of God to the same Christians, regarded collectively; being the entire messianic community."

So the rendering "and upon the Israel of God" (KJV and others) is acceptable enough, provided it is not misapplied. In any case, it is clear that in this verse Paul cannot be pronouncing a benediction upon persons who are not included in: All who keep the Christian rule….The entire argument of the epistle contradicts any idea that here in 6:16 he would give a blessing to those who are not Christians.

The phrase has become controversial because the traditional interpretation conflicts with principles of interpretation associated with Dispensationalism. Dispensationalists, those who believe in a ‘rapture to heaven’, insist on maintaining a sharp distinction between "Israel" and "the Church".
They refute the idea that here Paul is using the phrase "Israel of God" in a sense that includes Gentiles, because this undermines their contention that "the Church" is distinguished from "Israel" in Scripture. This major tenet of dispensationalist hermeneutics, is a false teaching.

The dispensationalist explanation of the meaning of "The Israel of God" in Galatians 6:16 is contrary to Paul’s main point, in which it is said that: in Christ Jesus ... there is neither Jew nor Greek. This central idea of the epistle, is expressed in the third chapter: "you are all one in Christ Jesus ... if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's offspring" Galatians 3:26-29

The fascination with the secular state of Israel which is so characteristic of dispensationalists today has led many of them to think that the restoration of the Jews as "God's people" has already occurred, despite the fact that their rapture has not yet happened and the Jews continue to reject Christ. Dispensationalists insist that this unbelieving Israel according to the flesh must be blessed by everyone. But of course this premise is totally wrong, because there is no blessing for anyone who rejects Christ.

The attempt to limit the meaning of "Israel of God" to the carnal sons of Judah betrays a fundamentally wrong approach to biblical interpretation, and to New Testament theology in particular. I give below some excerpts from writers who are more accurately express the meaning of Galatians 6:16. Even in these authors I find, however, an insufficient appreciation of Paul's teaching. Peace be ... upon the Israel of God, is a positive blessing and affirmation of true Christian believers as the spiritual Israel of God. " http://www.bible-researcher.com/gal6-16.html

Hi and Gal 3:28 says that in the B O C THERE ARE NO JEWS nor GREEKS !!

And Gal 6:15 says that For " in CHRIST " NEITHER Circumcision is of any force , NOR UNCIRCUMCISION , but a NEW CREATION and there is no the Israel of God !!

There is no such thing as a RAPTURE for Israel and you should no that there is NO Greek word for RAPTURE so what are you TALKING ABOUT !!

And in Gal 6:15 the Greek word FORCE / AVAILETH / ISCHYO ismin the Greek PRESENT TENSE and speaks to ONLY the B O C !!

And the Greek word ANYTHING / TIS is in the ACCUSATIVE CASE and it LIMITS it to a NEW CREATION !!

In verse 16 there are 2 THOUGHTS here , #1 is And as many as walk by this STANDARD , peace be upon them and MERCY , makes more sense and then the second one is and then MERCY UPON THE ISRAEL OF GOD !!

dan p