1 JOHN 2:2 THE SINS OF THE WHOLE WORLD

DougE

1 John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for our's only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

John spoke of Jesus as being the propitiation or the appeasement for the sins of the world.

John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

John the baptist identified Jesus as the Lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world. God promised to provide the sacrificial lamb to Abraham (Genesis 22:7-8).

Jesus told the twelve disciples that the prophets spoke of his death and resurrection (Luke 18:31-33) but the meaning was hid from them and they did not understand it (Luke 18:34).

How God could take away the sin of the world and remain just was not yet made known.

All that the death and resurrection of Christ would accomplish was not known until revealed to Paul (1 Corinthians 2:8).

2 Corinthians 5:19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

Jesus revealed to Paul that by the cross sin was not being imputed or reckoned to the world.

The word of this reconciliation that is preached must be believed. The gospel that Christ died for our sins and rose for our justification must be believed (Romans 4:25).

By the cross God could be just and the justifier of those who trust in Christ Jesus and his blood (Romans 3:24-26).

Bradley D

Another example of salvation by works.

I disagree! I BELIEVE in God, His Son, and the Holy Spirit. I am sorry for my sins. And I want my life to be as Christ would have me live. I do not deserve His Forgiveness. Nothing I do is worthy nor gains any points.

DougE

I disagree! I BELIEVE in God, His Son, and the Holy Spirit. I am sorry for my sins. And I want my life to be as Christ would have me live. I do not deserve His Forgiveness. Nothing I do is worthy nor gains any points.

You are right that in you there is nothing that merits salvation.
Being sorry for sin is not salvation.
To be justified unto eternal life one must believe in the redemption Jesus has provided by his shed blood, and his death as payment for our sins and his resurrection for our justification unto eternal life.

Bradley D

You are right that in you there is nothing that merits salvation.
To be justified unto eternal life one must believe in the redemption Jesus has provided by his shed blood, and his death as payment for our sins and his resurrection for our justification unto eternal life.

I disagree.

"... For the kind of sorrow God wants us to experience leads us away from sin and results
in salvation. There's no regret for that kind of sorrow. ..." (2 Cor. 7:10).

DougE

I disagree.

"... For the kind of sorrow God wants us to experience leads us away from sin and results

Romans 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness

It is not the godly that are saved because there is none righteous Romans 3:10

Bradley D

Right Divider

Body part
If one truly believes, repents, and amends their life in this world will be saved.
That is works salvation Bradley... quite wrong.

Paul makes that very clear right here:

Eph 2:8-9 KJV For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: (9) Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Bradley D

That is works salvation Bradley... quite wrong.

Paul makes that very clear right here:

Eph 2:8-9 KJV For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: (9) Not of works, lest any man should boast.

What about this scripture?

Right Divider

Body part

What about it?

Don't be a Bible hopper when you don't understand the plain things.

Learn about Paul and the Corinthians before you try to cherry-pick from those books.

DougE

2 Corinthians 7:10 is speaking of repentance from sin to those who are in Christ (2 Corinthians 7:1). Salvation can be used in different ways and does not always mean to be saved unto eternal life; you need to look at context. Look at the following verse:

1 Timothy 2:15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

This verse says she shall be saved but it can not possibly be saying she is going to heaven by having children.

Bradley D

What about it?

Don't be a Bible hopper when you don't understand the plain things.

Learn about Paul and the Corinthians before you try to cherry-pick from those books.

I have studied the epistles of Paul. Paul was sent out to the Gentiles to bring them to Christ. The espitles are to help the new churches maintain right doctrines. As for plain things. Scripture that does not appear to support each other must be thoroughly studied. I have been studying the word for many years now and plan to continue for as long as I can.

beloved57

1 John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for our's only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

John spoke of Jesus as being the propitiation or the appeasement for the sins of the world.

John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

John the baptist identified Jesus as the Lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world. God promised to provide the sacrificial lamb to Abraham (Genesis 22:7-8).

Jesus told the twelve disciples that the prophets spoke of his death and resurrection (Luke 18:31-33) but the meaning was hid from them and they did not understand it (Luke 18:34).

How God could take away the sin of the world and remain just was not yet made known.

All that the death and resurrection of Christ would accomplish was not known until revealed to Paul (1 Corinthians 2:8).

2 Corinthians 5:19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

Jesus revealed to Paul that by the cross sin was not being imputed or reckoned to the world.

The word of this reconciliation that is preached must be believed. The gospel that Christ died for our sins and rose for our justification must be believed (Romans 4:25).

By the cross God could be just and the justifier of those who trust in Christ Jesus and his blood (Romans 3:24-26).

The word world in those verses apply to the Sheep or the Church of God, not all mankind without exception !

Right Divider

Body part
I have studied the epistles of Paul. Paul was sent out to the Gentiles to bring them to Christ. The espitles are to help the new churches maintain right doctrines. As for plain things. Scripture that does not appear to support each other must be thoroughly studied. I have been studying the word for many years now and plan to continue for as long as I can.
Is this scripture not plain enough?

Or this one?

Rom 6:23 KJV For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

If "amending your life in this world" is required for salvation, why is that never mentioned by Paul?

Do you not know what a "gift" is?