Good Master, what must I do to inherit eternal life?

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
In the space between zero and one on a number line exist an infinite number of numbers. In the space between zero and one second on a clock exist a similar infinite amount of moments.

A dying breath can be like eternal life when time as we reckon it ceases. And in that moment of dying as the body ceases and the soul or spirit is revealed....there may not be time as we measure it. So, eternal life can be viewed in many different ways besides singing in Heaven forever with the angels as a lifetime, or a thousand lifetimes may be experienced in one’s dying breath. FWIW.

TrevorL

Greetings Right Divider,
Do tell me, let me guess.... you think that there is only one "good news" in the Bible.
Yes, the Gospel was revealed in Eden Genesis 3:15, and more detail was added in the promises to Abraham and David, including the land and the Kingdom, and the prophets gave more detail of the Things concerning the Kingdom of God and when Jesus came he more fully revealed the Things concerning the Name of Jesus Christ, then the Apostles and faithful preached the Gospel which included The Things concerning the Kingdom of God and the Name of Jesus Christ and the believers responded by being baptised Acts 8:5-6,12. Yes there is only one Gospel Galatians 1:6-9,3:8-9.

Kind regards
Trevor

Right Divider

Body part
“No intelligent student of the Scriptures believes, or teaches, that there is only one gospel in the Scriptures…” – J.C. O’Hair (a long long time ago in the 20th century)

Hobie

BANNED
Banned
Greetings Hobie, I suggest that Jesus was taking the Young Rich Ruler on one step to break his conviction and mind-set that eternal life could be achieved by obedience to the Law, including obedience to the 10 Commandments. I notice that you say Jesus “started quoting the 10 commandments”. I suggest that Jesus deliberately stopped short of quoting the 10th Commandment “Thou shalt not covet”, because any sincere believer would have to admit the problem that they have encountered with this Law. Jesus left this to Paul to elaborate in Romans 7 the difficulty that any Jew had with this Law:
Romans 7:7–11 (ASV 1901): 7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Howbeit, I had not known sin, except through the law: for I had not known coveting, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet: 8 but sin, finding occasion, wrought in me through the commandment all manner of coveting: for apart from the law sin is dead. 9 And I was alive apart from the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died; 10 and the commandment, which was unto life, this I found to be unto death: 11 for sin, finding occasion, through the commandment beguiled me, and through it slew me.
Justification is and has always been by faith, from the Garden of Eden, including Abraham, and for those under the Law of Moses. An example for us is the following, where the Samaritans believed the Gospel and were baptised into the death and resurrection of Jesus.
Acts 8:5–6,12 (KJV): 5 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them. 6 And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. 12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

Kind regards
Trevor

My brother, lets look at Romans 6:14, 15. "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid."

We see that Paul gives his own explanation of his statement. After stating that we are not under the law but under grace, he asks, "What then?" or how are we to understand this? Then notice his answer, he says, "Shall we sin (break the law) because we are not under the law but under grace? God forbid." In the strongest possible language Paul states that being under grace does not give a license to break the law.

TrevorL

Greetings again Hobie,
My brother, lets look at Romans 6:14, 15. "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid."

We see that Paul gives his own explanation of his statement. After stating that we are not under the law but under grace, he asks, "What then?" or how are we to understand this? Then notice his answer, he says, "Shall we sin (break the law) because we are not under the law but under grace? God forbid." In the strongest possible language Paul states that being under grace does not give a license to break the law.
I agree that we do not have a licence to sin because we are not under The Law. Actually those who are true disciples become very conscious of their sins and falling short of the glory of God. Jesus in his teaching expanded such Laws as "Thou shalt not kill" to nearly every aspect of dealing with people in Matthew 5:17-20, 21-26. Thus we are under these instructions and need to see that even these are typical examples of building upon the foundation of Jesus' words and keeping them Matthew 7:24-27. Thus we are not under the limited Law, but under a whole way of life. Actually Jesus did deal with the rich young ruler's covetousness, and he also invited him to be a disciple.

Kind regards
Trevor

Hobie

BANNED
Banned
Greetings again Hobie,I agree that we do not have a licence to sin because we are not under The Law. Actually those who are true disciples become very conscious of their sins and falling short of the glory of God. Jesus in his teaching expanded such Laws as "Thou shalt not kill" to nearly every aspect of dealing with people in Matthew 5:17-20, 21-26. Thus we are under these instructions and need to see that even these are typical examples of building upon the foundation of Jesus' words and keeping them Matthew 7:24-27. Thus we are not under the limited Law, but under a whole way of life. Actually Jesus did deal with the rich young ruler's covetousness, and he also invited him to be a disciple.

Kind regards
Trevor

My brother, and yet he went away sad because he could not give up his riches. We cannot throw the law away and keep in sin and say we have eternal life, that's what is happening today.

TrevorL

Greetings again Hobie,
My brother, and yet he went away sad because he could not give up his riches. We cannot throw the law away and keep in sin and say we have eternal life, that's what is happening today.
I agree with what you say, except we are not under The Law

The life in Christ is much more comprehensive than being under The Law, and obedience to the Law mindset as I explained from Matthew 5 and the expanded teaching of Jesus concerning “Thou shalt not kill”. The Law failed to produce obedience as illustrated by Paul in Romans 7:7-11 where he considers his experience with the Commandment “Thou shalt not covet”.

Looking again at Jesus’ instruction to the young rich ruler:
Mark 10:21 (KJV): Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

The phrases “come, take up the cross, and follow me” seem to be similar to Jesus’ invitation:
Matthew 11:28–30 (KJV): 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
We find the true rest by service in Christ, and this replaces the Sabbath Law.

And Jesus prefigured his own death when he said “take up the cross” because he was the pre-eminent example of crucifying the flesh and living unto God. Paul also speaks of this crucified / resurrected life and such a life excludes continuing in sin.
Galatians 2:20 (KJV): I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Such a life “the obedience of faith” Romans 16:26 and “a faith working though love” Galatians 5:6 also replaces the obedience to Law mindset that was shown by the rich young ruler.

Kind regards
Trevor

Hobie

BANNED
Banned
Greetings again Hobie, I agree with what you say, except we are not under The Law

The life in Christ is much more comprehensive than being under The Law, and obedience to the Law mindset as I explained from Matthew 5 and the expanded teaching of Jesus concerning “Thou shalt not kill”. The Law failed to produce obedience as illustrated by Paul in Romans 7:7-11 where he considers his experience with the Commandment “Thou shalt not covet”.

Looking again at Jesus’ instruction to the young rich ruler:
Mark 10:21 (KJV): Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

The phrases “come, take up the cross, and follow me” seem to be similar to Jesus’ invitation:
Matthew 11:28–30 (KJV): 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
We find the true rest by service in Christ, and this replaces the Sabbath Law.

And Jesus prefigured his own death when he said “take up the cross” because he was the pre-eminent example of crucifying the flesh and living unto God. Paul also speaks of this crucified / resurrected life and such a life excludes continuing in sin.
Galatians 2:20 (KJV): I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Such a life “the obedience of faith” Romans 16:26 and “a faith working though love” Galatians 5:6 also replaces the obedience to Law mindset that was shown by the rich young ruler.

Kind regards
Trevor
My brother, so is it ok to covet, steal, take others wifes in a adulterous relationship, of course not. You have to have the Law written in the fleshy parts of your heart, so its still there in the new covenant, as long as God exists.

TrevorL

Greetings again Hobie,
My brother, so is it ok to covet, steal, take others wifes in a adulterous relationship, of course not. You have to have the Law written in the fleshy parts of your heart, so its still there in the new covenant, as long as God exists.
The fullness of the life in Christ supplants the negative thinking of those under The Law and this seems to be your mindset, possibly as a SDA. Romans 6:1-14 clearly teaches why we must not continue in a life of sin because we are not under law but grace, but you insist on law again, rather than the lesson of the crucified / resurrected life in Christ. And Romans 6:15-23 speaks about the temptation or contemplation of committing one sin, and again Paul does not appeal to The Law but to the life in Christ and servitude to Christ and not Sin. This is the basis then of Romans 7 of the struggle against Sin in Romans 7, for those under the Law and even unto us who are not under The Law, but the mindset is partly with us. This then leads into Romans 8 where we are encouraged by the victory of Christ over Sin, and our sharing of this victory over Sin now,and the freedom from the mindset of those under The Law.

Your agenda ultimately could be the insistence on keeping the Sabbath, rather than accepting the True Rest in Christ. An example of the SDA mindset was discussed with me by a SDA workmate concerning some of his SDA friends at Coorangbong, the heart of EGW territory. They had a serious discussion on whether it was lawful if on a Saturday morning they were about to drive their car to Church, and then realised that the windscreen was dirty. Was it Lawful to wash and clean the windscreen on the Sabbath?

Kind regards
Trevor

Cntrysner

Men struggle with the idea of a free gift. They claim it but have to add to it by their very nature...thus it is no longer a gift. What must I do?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
John 3:3 King James Version (KJV)
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Romans 10:9-13 King James Version (KJV)
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

marke

One day a young ruler came to Jesus and fell on his knees before him. He said, "Good Master, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

Jesus told him 'if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments' and started quoting the 10 commandments; "Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother."

The young man said he had kept them from the time he was a boy. He had lived a good life. But the Bible says that Jesus looked into the man's heart and saw something that was keeping him from becoming a follower.

Jesus told him that he still lacked one thing, he must sell the things he owned and give the money to the poor. Then he would have treasure in heaven, and he could follow Jesus. The young man's face fell and he went away sad because he had great riches that he would not part with.

So what does this mean to us today, what must I do to inherit eternal life?
You must hate anything and everything which comes between you and God and be willing to do anything God demands of you to do.