Is Jesus God?

betsy123

Greetings again betsy123, You are aligning yourself again with their false accusation. Jesus applies the same language to us:
John 17:11,21-23 (KJV): 11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are. 21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. 22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: 23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

That actually supports the Trinity:
that all disciples of Christ become one - united - (by being with Christ/God),
thru the indwelling of the Holy Spirit (Jesus/God).

Just see how these verses (from Old and New Testament) are intricately
inter-connected.....reinforcing John 17!
I'm telling you - you can't just pick and choose!

Ezekiel 36:27
"I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances.

Isaiah 63:11
Then His people remembered the days of old, of Moses Where is He who brought them up out of the sea with the shepherds of His flock? Where is He who put His Holy Spirit in the midst of them,

Romans 8:9
However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.

Galatians 4:6
Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!"

1 Corinthians 3:16
Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?

1 Corinthians 6:19
Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?

2 Corinthians 6:16
Or what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; just as God said, "I WILL DWELL IN THEM AND WALK AMONG THEM; AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE.

Galatians 2:20
"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

Ephesians 3:17-19
so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God.

Ezekiel 36:27
"I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances.

Romans 8:10
If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness.

1 John 3:24
The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

(***Take note of the last 3 - Ezekiel, Romans, and John, how they are consistent too,
about RIGHTEOUSNESS!

Why? Because of God/Christ in us!)

Please reconsider John 10:30-36 and especially John 10:30 and John 10:36 where Jesus equates these two phrases.

Read the given verses above. Jesus is God.

You have not understood why the Judges were called Elohim.

Why don't you explain to us. Why were the judges called "elohim?"

Btw, do you know that Elohim is grammatically plural?

What about Trinitarianism? Does the fact that Elohim is plural suggest the triune nature of God? It is best to understand the word construction as a plural of majesty; that is, writing “Elohim” is a stylistic way of emphasizing greatness, power, and prestige. With that said, and in light of the overall teaching of the Bible, the plural form of Elohim certainly allows for the further revelation of God’s triune nature; the Old Testament hints at the Trinity in order to prepare people for the Messiah who would be much more than a human prophet.
When Jesus appeared, He more fully revealed mysteries hinted at in the Old Testament. At Jesus’ baptism we have all three Persons of Elohim present: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (Matthew 3:16–17).

https://www.gotquestions.org/meaning-of-Elohim.html

Btw, I stumbled onto this that says Yahweh and the Father are the same.

Colossians 1
3 We give thanks to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,

betsy123
We're talking about Thomas' exclamation, "My Lord and my God!"
There is only ONE GOD!
Being the "Son of God" does not qualify Jesus to be called GOD!

Your response isn't an answer to the issue of Thomas.:)

Your argument can't win, Trevor. You know why?
Because, you're debating with the Scriptures.

Last edited:

betsy123

Who's glory is it to that we bend the knee to Jesus according to Phil 2:8-11, the Fathers or Jesus?

Did you fail to see the preceding lines in Phil 2?

Phil 2
5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

6 Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;

7 rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.

8 And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!

Lol.
If Jesus is in very nature, God - and He is EQUAL with God - who else can He be?

TrevorL

Greetings again betsy123,
Please reconsider John 10:30-36 and especially John 10:30 and John 10:36 where Jesus equates these two phrases.
Read the given verses above. Jesus is God.
Jesus says in John 10:36 as an answer to their false accusation that He is The Son of God.
You have not understood why the Judges were called Elohim.
Why don't you explain to us. Why were the judges called "elohim?"
The Judges were called “Elohim” because they represented God in their role of faithfully administering the word of God in their responsibility of judgement.
Btw, do you know that Elohim is grammatically plural?
Yes. In some contexts the word “Elohim” speaks of the One God working through various agents such as Angels and Judges.

Kind regards
Trevor

betsy123

Greetings again betsy123,Jesus says in John 10:36 as an answer to their false accusation that He is The Son of God.

Still, He did not refute them - as explained in my previous post.
His response was to give His point as a question - referring to Psalm 82:6.

John 10
34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your law, ‘I said, “You are gods” ’?
35 If He called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken),
36 do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?

Psalm 82
God stands in the congregation of the mighty;
He judges among the gods.

2 How long will you judge unjustly,
And show partiality to the wicked? Selah

3 Defend the poor and fatherless;
Do justice to the afflicted and needy.

4 Deliver the poor and needy;
Free them from the hand of the wicked.

5 They do not know, nor do they understand;
They walk about in darkness;
All the foundations of the earth are unstable.

6 I said, “You are gods,
And all of you are children of the Most High.

But you shall die like men,
And fall like one of the princes.”

His point is:
if mere men (judges or men with power over other men) are called "gods," why would it be blasphemy for Him to say He is the Son of God? How much more for the One sent by God?

The Jews' anger was stirred by His claim:

John 10.

28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.

30 I and the Father are one.

31 Again his Jewish opponents picked up stones to stone him,
32 but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?”

33 “We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.

He repeated that same claim in the end with this:

John 10
38 But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.”

39 Again they tried to seize him, but he escaped their grasp.

TrevorL

Still, He did not refute them - as explained in my previous post.
His response was to give His point as a question - referring to Psalm 82:6.
John 10 34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your law, ‘I said, “You are gods” ’? 35 If He called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), 36 do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?
His point is:
if mere men (judges or men with power over other men) are called "gods," why would it be blasphemy for Him to say He is the Son of God? How much more for the One sent by God?
But he is claiming to be The Son of God, not God. If he is sent by God he is not God.
The Jews' anger was stirred by His claim:
John 10. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.
30 I and the Father are one.
31 Again his Jewish opponents picked up stones to stone him,
32 but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?”
33 “We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.
But now you are jumping back to their false accusation, before his answer to their accusation.
He repeated that same claim in the end with this:
John 10 38 But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.” 39 Again they tried to seize him, but he escaped their grasp.
It is not claiming to be the Second Person of the Trinity. The same language is in John 17 applied to the believers.

Kind regards
Trevor

betsy123

Greetings again betsy123, But he is claiming to be The Son of God, not God. If he is sent by God he is not God.

Kind regards
Trevor

He is claiming both!

Like I said before - there is a distinction between Jesus as Son of God, and Jesus/God.
It is important (based on the Bible), to believe both!

If Jesus is not God - then, you take away His credibility.
You have ignored that crucial point. Address that, please.

TrevorL

Greetings Right Divider and Greetings again betsy123,
Time and again Jesus says that His Father sent Him.
Jesus and His Father are both God.
He is claiming both!
Like I said before - there is a distinction between Jesus as Son of God, and Jesus/God.
It is important (based on the Bible), to believe both!
Jesus is the Son of God, not God the Son.
John 13:16: Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.
Not only was Jesus sent by God, His Father he was also God’s Servant Isaiah 42:1, 52:13.
If Jesus is not God - then, you take away His credibility.
You have ignored that crucial point. Address that, please.
Jesus is very credible as The Son of God.

Kind regards
Trevor

Right Divider

Body part
John 13:16: Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.
Not only was Jesus sent by God, His Father he was also God’s Servant Isaiah 42:1, 52:13.

Kind regards
Trevor
Greatness is this context is about ROLES and not about NATURE.

Jesus is the WORD that was GOD.... Who was made flesh... i.e., God in the flesh. John 1:1, John 1:14

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
Did you fail to see the preceding lines in Phil 2?

Phil 2
5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

6 Who, being in very nature God,

7 rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.

8 And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!

Lol.
If Jesus is in very nature, God - and He is EQUAL with God - who else can He be?

Right on, betsy123! It is impossible for Jesus to be EQUAL with God WITHOUT being, Himself, God.

TrevorL

Greetings again Right Divider and 7djengo7,
Greatness is this context is about ROLES and not about NATURE.
Jesus was a human not a God-man, partaking of human nature, not Divine NATURE.
Hebrews 2:14 (KJV): Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
1 John 4:1-3 (KJV): 1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: 3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Jesus is the WORD that was GOD.... Who was made flesh... i.e., God in the flesh. John 1:1, John 1:14
The Word in John 1:1 is a personification similar to the Wise Woman Wisdom in Proverbs 8. The Word pre-existed not Jesus. The Word was made flesh, not God nature and flesh nature or God and man. John 1:14 teaches that Jesus was the Son of God.
John 1:14 (KJV): And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Matthew 1:20-21 (KJV): 20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived (mg: Gr. begotten) in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Luke 1:34-35 (KJV): 34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man? 35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Spirit shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Matthew and Luke describe the process whereby this was achieved. There is no mention of the incarnation of God the Son ino the womb of Mary. What is described is the conception and birth of Jesus where God the Father is the father, and Mary is his mother.
If Jesus is not God the Son, then who is God the Son?
If Jesus is not the Second Person of the Trinity, then who is the Second Person of the Trinity?
Playing with words again. Jesus is the Son of God.
Which (if any) Bible verse do you imagine tells you that Jesus' being sent by God means that Jesus is not God?

Kind regards
Trevor

betsy123

Kind regards
Trevor

You're missing the whole point, Trevor. You're also ignoring a lot of declarations in the Scripture.
Like I said, you're trying to debate with the Scriptures!

Everything I gave from the Scriptures jive so well together.
They all corroborate and reinforce each other.
Have you noticed, for every argument you give - several verses I quote demolish your argument (and usually brings up another point?)

I myself am surprised with the irony of NWL's argument - giving a portion of Philippians 2 (AND YET, he failed to see what is stated in the preceding lines of his given verse.)
It should be right there in his face!

Philippians 2
In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

Who, being in very nature God,

EQUAL with God?
Hello?

if Jesus isn't God Himself - that smacks of sheer vanity.
Who is He? Lucifer?

Being the so-called "Son of God," that's what He says!
He also claimed other titles that are claimed by, or use for God!
Just read them again!

http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?133025-JESUS-IS-GOD-HIMSELF

Someone who tells lies and contradicts the Scriptures...... cannot be from God.
BUT, we do know who is the master of lies and deceits, don't we?
So, there you go.

Trevor and NWL,

Jesus is also Yahweh! (in the flesh).
Because, if He's not - your argument makes Jesus a usurper, a liar and thus - not credible.
That's the dilemma of your argument.
It's full of contradictions, and it makes Jesus and the Bible, unreliable.

How can you believe Him?

Furthermore, with your argument He could also be the devil Himself - posing as the promised Messiah - craftily undermining, and destroying the credibility of the Bible!

Just look at you folks who refuse to believe the Triune God!
Your argument promotes a polytheistic belief - striking at the very heart of the very First Commandment!

How can you not see?

You try so hard - but, ALL YOUR ARGUMENTS ARE FALLING FLAT!
They are contradicting what's clearly given in the Scriptures!
That should be your wake-up call!

Last edited:

TrevorL

You're missing the whole point, Trevor. You're also ignoring a lot of declarations in the Scripture.
Like I said, you're trying to debate with the Scriptures!
I appreciate your lengthy response in the sense of the sincerity of your declarations and the time and effort you expend. I do not want to respond to most of what you have stated.
Philippians 2: In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God,did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
EQUAL with God?
I do not want to get into a full discussion of Philippians 2 but I will state a few aspects. Firstly you could be quoting from the NIV and I suggest that it is the most biased translation of the more popular translations on this particular passage. You have quoted the very unique NIV translation in verse 6 “being in very nature God” and they had to be consistent in verse 7 by translating the same word to give verse 7 “by taking the very nature of a servant”. Is the nature of a servant any different to a person who is a free citizen, for example Paul who was born free? Also you have quoted NIV verse 6 “did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage”. My understanding of this is that it should be rendered “did not consider equality with God something to be grasped”. My understanding of this passage is that it is speaking of the disposition of the mind of Jesus as he grew up in his teenage years and also before and after his ministry. Unlike Adam and Eve who grasped at equality with God, Jesus humbled himself as a servant and became obedient unto death. As a result God exalted Jesus and we now bow to Jesus to the glory of God the Father as verses 9-11 state.

Kind regards
Trevor

betsy123

Greetings again betsy123, I appreciate your lengthy response in the sense of the sincerity of your declarations and the time and effort you expend. I do not want to respond to most of what you have stated.
I do not want to get into a full discussion of Philippians 2 but I will state a few aspects. Firstly you could be quoting from the NIV and I suggest that it is the most biased translation of the more popular translations on this particular passage. You have quoted the very unique NIV translation in verse 6 “being in very nature God”

In the Theology Section, I also gave the NKJ version. It's basically the same:

Phil 2
The Humbled and Exalted Christ

5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus,
6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be
equal with God

You have quoted the very unique NIV translation in verse 6 “being in very nature God” and they had to be consistent in verse 7 by translating the same word to give verse 7 “by taking the very nature of a servant”.

7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

If Jesus is not God Himself - does he have any choice to "humble" Himself? Wouldn't He have followed?

Again, you fail to understand the DISTINCTION between Jesus/man, and God/Jesus.

Based from the tons of evidences I gave you - it is apparently important for us to equally acknowledge Jesus as the Son of God (human Messiah), and God as the human Jesus (who dwelt among us).

As the Son of God - Jesus shows us the example of true obedience to the Father (Yahweh). Perhaps because OBEDIENCE is so important that without obedience there isn't any salvation!

Matthew 7
I Never Knew You

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.

and they had to be consistent in verse 7 by translating the same word to give verse 7 “by taking the very nature of a servant”. Is the nature of a servant any different to a person who is a free citizen, for example Paul who was born free?

It has nothing to do with being a free citizen or not.
A servant (in this context), is one who serves for the glory of God.

True leadership is servanthood, and the greatest leader of all time is Jesus Christ. Servanthood is an attitude exemplified by Christ “who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant” (Philippians 2:6-7).
The five words in the New Testament translated “ministry” generally refer to servanthood or service given in love. Serving others is the very essence of ministry. All believers are called to ministry (Matthew 28:18-20), and, therefore, we are all called to be servants for the glory of God. Living is giving; all else is selfishness and boredom.
https://www.gotquestions.org/servanthood.html

Also you have quoted NIV verse 6 “did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage”. My understanding of this is that it should be rendered “did not consider equality with God something to be grasped”.

That's from the NIV too - 1984 version! :)

My understanding of this passage is that it is speaking of the disposition of the mind of Jesus as he grew up in his teenage years and also before and after his ministry.

You're basing it from the NIV! :)

James R. White, author of The King James Only Controversy, considers the NIV's rendering (in the 1984 version), "did not consider equality with God something to be grasped," to be "clearer than the KJV's ambiguous translation" (King James Only Controversy, p. 197).
http://www.kjvtoday.com/home/though...h-god-a-thing-to-be-grasped-in-philippians-26

Unlike Adam and Eve who grasped at equality with God,

Jesus being in the form of God, is definitely not the same with Adam and Eve who were formed from dust, and made into the likeness of God!

but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.

8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

Jesus (being God Himself), did not use His omnipotence, but instead He had humbled Himself - came as a man, to be a servant to mankind!

As human, He BECAME obedient.

Notice that it didn't say Jesus was obedient but rather, He BECAME obedient.

Will you describe Yahweh as being "obedient" to anyone? :)
But when He came as man (Jesus) - He BECAME obedient!

See the fluidity of consistency?

Last edited:

Right Divider

Body part
The Word in John 1:1 is a personification similar to the Wise Woman Wisdom in Proverbs 8. The Word pre-existed not Jesus. The Word was made flesh, not God nature and flesh nature or God and man. John 1:14 teaches that Jesus was the Son of God.
John 1:14 (KJV): And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
That is some nonsense that you have to use to "fix" the problem that the scripture disagrees with you and your incorrect position.

It CLEARLY says that the Word was God, but you want it to say something else.

You are dishonest and have earned your place on my ignore list.

TrevorL

I do not have the time (or patience) to address this subject of Philippians 2 in all its detail, partly because I am not 100% familiar with explaining every term. Also your response is difficult to respond to because of its many parts. I will state only a few aspects..
Again, you fail to understand the DISTINCTION between Jesus/man, and God/Jesus.
Based from the tons of evidences I gave you - it is apparently important for us to equally acknowledge Jesus as the Son of God (human Messiah), and God as the human Jesus (who dwelt among us).
I cannot accept that Jesus was two different beings or that he had two minds. Jesus was a human, the Son of God before and during his ministry and he grew in wisdom from a child Luke 2:40,52. The status "the Son of God" describes both his humanity and his Divine attributes or potential which he inherited and developed. He is definitely not God (fully God the Son) AND Son of God (human) as you describe.
It has nothing to do with being a free citizen or not.
A servant (in this context), is one who serves for the glory of God.
I was commenting on the NIV “very nature of a servant”. The contrast is with NIV “very nature of God” which is suggesting that Jesus was in heaven with Divine nature, or that is the impression that this biased NIV translation gives me. How would you explain “very nature of God”?
That's from the NIV too - 1984 version! :) You're basing it from the NIV! :)
Then why did they alter it to give such a biased newer translation?
Jesus being in the form of God, is definitely not the same with Adam and Eve who were formed from dust, and made into the likeness of God!
Jesus was made a little lower than the Angels Psalm 8:5-6, an allusion to and summary of Genesis 1:26-27. The contrast is between Jesus as a human when growing and making decisions, and with what Adam and Eve did in grasping equality. The whole of Philippians 2 has nothing to do with any supposed “incarnation”.

Kind regards
Trevor

TrevorL

Greetings again Right Divider,
That is some nonsense that you have to use to "fix" the problem that the scripture disagrees with you and your incorrect position.

It CLEARLY says that the Word was God, but you want it to say something else.

You are dishonest and have earned your place on my ignore list.
But you read John 1:1 as Jesus was God. Do you have any thought as to why the title "the Word" is used in this context and why John 1:14 speaks of "full of grace and truth". Is this speaking about the incarnation, or is it speaking of the mind or character of God becoming revealed in Jesus the Son of God.

Kind regards
Trevor