Is believing/faith a work ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beloved57 View Post
    Any act of obedience to Gods command is a work, a good work. Believing on Christ is a commandment of God, so therefore a good work 1 Jn 3:23

And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

Acts 16:31

And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

The word believe here is the greek word
    pisteuō and in this instance its an imperative which means:

The imperative mood corresponds to the English imperative, and expresses a command to the hearer to perform a certain action by the order and authority of the one commanding. Thus, Jesus' phrase, "Repent ye, and believe the gospel" (Mk.1:15) is not at all an "invitation," but an absolute command requiring full obedience on the part of all hearers.

So believing here would be a good work performed by the Jailor if he obeyed the imperative !

And if his act of obeying this command caused God to save him, then he was saved because of a god work he performed !

Absolutely ! If a person claims one gets saved by his own act of obedience to any command whatsoever, that's tantamount to teaching Righteousness by the Law, making Christ's death meaningless.

So the Gospel command to Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, a Fruit of the Spirit Gal. 5:22, is exclusively directed to the regenerate [Spiritually Alive] to be obeyed: But not offered to all without exception, as taught by those who promote a false gospel of works the Apostle Paul warned about Gal. 1:8.
    My soul thirsts for God, the God Who Lives Forever;
    when shall I be brought in to see His Face? - Psalm 42:2

Comment

Originally posted by way 2 go View Post
      accomplished by the mind , gotta it

accomplish
      1. to bring to its goal or conclusion; carry out; perform; finish:
      2. to complete

accomplished
      1. completed; done; effected:

nothing there that can
      accomplish a work

so thinking not working

mental activity can
      accomplish nothing

again the definition you provided says accomplished

"any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind"

hatred needs to be carried out or performed to be manifested

Denial
      "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
      preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
      called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
      a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

Charles Spurgeon !

Comment

Looking forward to it. Most folk want to discuss everything but the OP points!

Denial

Comment

Mans religion will tell you that Salvation/Justification is a recompense for mans act of believing or faith. Thats Salvation by works. They're telling us that Justification before God is premise on mans action or deed of faith/believing and not Christ alone in His Person and Work!

Charles Spurgeon !

Comment

Mans religion will tell you that Salvation/Justification is a recompense for mans act of believing or faith. Thats Salvation by works. They're telling us that Justification before God is premise on mans action or deed of faith/believing and not Christ alone in His Person and Work!

Right on Brother !

If a person takes credit for his own believing or faith in Christ, as an act of obedience of theirs, no matter how subtle the degree, that's salvation by works. For Faith is the evidence of Salvation/Justification Gal. 5:22, and not the cause of it.

Comment

Yes Faith is a work, its the act/deed of the man or women who has been #1 Made Righteous by the sole obedience of Jesus Christ Rom 5:19 and #2 who has been born again by the Spirit of God, for Faith is the fruit/work of the Spirit Gal 5:22

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

The word fruit
              karpos means:

(a) fruit, generally vegetable, sometimes animal, (b) met: fruit, deed, action, result, (c) profit, gain.

In fact the word also signifies:

Metaphorically, that which originates or comes

from something; an effect, result;
              a. equivalent to ἔργον, work, act, deed:

Charles Spurgeon !

Comment

If we agree with the overall definition of work according to the greek word for work ergon:

See strongs # 2041:

1. business, employment, that which any one is occupied
                  1. that which one undertakes to do, enterprise, undertaking

2. any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind

Yes Faith is a work,
                your highlighted definition

accomplish
                2. to complete

accomplished

by the definition you highlighted faith is not a work

Comment

You dont understand the word work. I laid it out for you.
                  your highlighted definition

accomplish
                  2. to complete

accomplished

by the definition you highlighted faith is not a work
                  Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Charles Spurgeon !

Comment

I see this same silly argument over and over. It was Gods grace that saved you. In His grace (unsolicited mercy) No works were done to get Him to come up with a new way of pleasing Him. God came up with it all on His own. That new way or opportunity is by sending Jesus with the law of Christ. And in that law we have to work out our salvation through obedience to Jesus and the law of Christ.

[Eph 2:8

8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; [it is] the gift of God,

[Phl 2:12
                    12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;

Comment

Yes Faith is a work, its the act/deed of the man or women who has been #1 Made Righteous by the sole obedience of Jesus Christ Rom 5:19 and #2 who has been born again by the Spirit of God, for Faith is the fruit/work of the Spirit Gal 5:22

22 [FONT="]But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

The word fruit [/FONT]
                      karpos means:

(a) fruit, generally vegetable, sometimes animal, (b) met: fruit, deed, action, result, (c) profit, gain.

In fact the word also signifies:

Metaphorically, that which originates or comes

from something; an effect, result;
                      a. equivalent to ἔργον, work, act, deed:

Perfectly Stated !

The Faith / Believing that is a fruit of the Spirit Gal. 5:22 is good work a person does once he has received New Birth passively. He does this good work of Believing to the saving of his soul Heb. 10:39 as a result of being made Righteous by the obedience of Christ on his behalf Rom. 5:19.

Now those who have not been Born of the Spirit, the work of believing they perform is fruitless with regard to salvation, for those in the flesh cannot please God Rom. 8:8.

Comment

Originally posted by Nanja View Post
                        Perfectly Stated !

The Faith / Believing that is a fruit of the Spirit Gal. 5:22 is good work a person does once he has received New Birth passively. He does this good work of Believing to the saving of his soul Heb. 10:39 as a result of being made Righteous by the obedience of Christ on his behalf Rom. 5:19.

Now those who have not been Born of the Spirit, the work of believing they perform is fruitless with regard to salvation, for those in the flesh cannot please God Rom. 8:8.
                        so perfectly stated it fails the OP's criteria

work=

accomplish
                        2. to complete

by definition faith is not a work

Comment

by definition faith is not a work

Sure it is. Faith / Believing is a work of the mind.

Unless a person has been Born of the Spirit of God and Given Faith Gal 5:22; John 3:27 he cannot please God Rom. 8:8.

Eph. 2:8-9

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works [ergon], lest any man should boast.

G2041: ergon

a. that which one undertakes to do, enterprise, undertaking

an act, deed, thing done: the idea of working is emphasized in opp. to that which is less than work

Comment

Sure it is. Faith / Believing is a work of the mind.

Unless a person has been Born of the Spirit of God and Given Faith Gal 5:22; John 3:27 he cannot please God Rom. 8:8.

Eph. 2:8-9

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works [ergon], lest any man should boast.

G2041: ergon

a. that which one undertakes to do, enterprise, undertaking

an act, deed, thing done: the idea of working is emphasized in opp. to that which is less than work
                            Amen. Also faith, believing is an act, deed or a thing done, which by definition is a work !

Paul told the jailor after he asked the question " what must i do to be saved"?

And Paul responded with this imperative "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house."

This certainly implies that believing on the Lord is something done, which by definition is a work !

Charles Spurgeon !

Comment

Amen. Also faith, believing is an act, deed or a thing done, which by definition is a work !

Paul told the jailor after he asked the question " what must i do to be saved"?

And Paul responded with this imperative "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house."

This certainly implies that believing on the Lord is something done, which by definition is a work !

Yes indeed; a work done by one God has made Spiritually Alive; a work that pleases Him Rom. 8:9.

Comment

Yes indeed; a work done by one God has made Spiritually Alive; a work that pleases Him Rom. 8:9.
                                Exactly Eph 2:10

Charles Spurgeon !

Comment

Working...
                                X