pacifism for true Jesus' followers.

Rosenritter

What is your point?

I don't engage in beating around the bush type talk.

Thank you. But since now I know that you're the same person I was talking with before, why are you calling me "trin?" Is it simply a false label that you assign because you're used to bad-mouthing Trinity folk?

drbrumley

You are the troll. this is my thread.

And this is more accurate verses:

read and weep, ignorant.

More accurate? JR posted inaccurate verses? All he did was post verbatim the actual verses....Are you sure you don't have some kind of brain injury? I'm worried about you.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Cornelius might have resigned on his own and it might have been mutually understood.

Mutually understood by him and the Roman Legion I reckon.

So, Cornelius the Roman Centurion says, "Uh... okay, I quit now and you hunerd soldiers under my command, well you just go on your merry way and find somethin' to do. I'm sure it'll be hunky-dory with my old buddy Caesar."

Dartman

and when our enemies are beating their children, kidnapping young women and raping them, murdering anyone who opposes them, young or old?

what commandments does Christ give us when our enemies are doing this?
I think you are forgetting that this life isn't the point.
Eternal Life is the point.
1,000,000 years from now, the immortal righteous wont even think about this life .
We are all going to suffer. Some, like the pictures you have posted, suffer WAY more than me... so far.
We are all going to die. We are all going to be judged.
This life is a test. It could be a very short, harsh test, it could be a very long test .... but the length of the test isn't the issue, eternal life, or ceasing to exist forever is the issue.
The Scriptures instruct us that God is in charge. We are to leave room for HIS vengeance, but we are to "make disciples of all nations", and love our fellow man.
Rom 12:14-21
14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.
16 Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation.
17 Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men.
18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.
19 Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY," says the Lord.
20 "BUT IF YOUR ENEMY IS HUNGRY, FEED HIM, AND IF HE IS THIRSTY, GIVE HIM A DRINK; FOR IN SO DOING YOU WILL HEAP BURNING COALS ON HIS HEAD."
21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

I am curious, if you believe you should stop this violence yourself, why are you posting on-line, in stead of buying a gun, and a plane ticket to the worst place you can find?

Dartman

The point is ) to fairly review the information and to analyze the statement "there is not excuse for a Christian to be in the military."

1) Cornelius was Christian and given the Holy Spirit
2) Cornelius was in the military at that given point in time.

We aren't told one way or the other whether Cornelius stayed a solider his entire life, whether he served his term and retired, or whether he withdrew immediately, but God did seem to recognize extenuating circumstances for that moment at least.
God recognized Cornelius was "seeking, knocking, and asking". Peter explained the gospel,
Acts 10:34-43
34 Opening his mouth, Peter said: "I most certainly understand now that God is not one to show partiality,
35 but in every nation the man who fears Him and does what is right is welcome to Him.
36 "The word which He sent to the sons of Israel, preaching peace through Jesus Christ (He is Lord of all) —
37 you yourselves know the thing which took place throughout all Judea, starting from Galilee, after the baptism which John proclaimed.
38 "You know of Jesus of Nazareth, how God anointed Him with the Holy Spirit and with power, and how He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.
39 "We are witnesses of all the things He did both in the land of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They also put Him to death by hanging Him on a cross.
40 "God raised Him up on the third day and granted that He become visible,
41 not to all the people, but to witnesses who were chosen beforehand by God, that is, to us who ate and drank with Him after He arose from the dead.
42 "And He ordered us to preach to the people, and solemnly to testify that this is the One who has been appointed by God as Judge of the living and the dead.
43 "Of Him all the prophets bear witness that through His name everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins."

And, Cornelius believed.

Rosenritter

Mutually understood by him and the Roman Legion I reckon.

So, Cornelius the Roman Centurion says, "Uh... okay, I quit now and you hunerd soldiers under my command, well you just go on your merry way and find somethin' to do. I'm sure it'll be hunky-dory with my old buddy Caesar."

Christians have been known to have been martyred under similar circumstances.Staying in the army will get you killed eventually when you refuse to kill, murder, burn sacrifices to pagan gods, or swear an oath.

"The Theban Legion passed through the Alps into Gaul, under the command of Mauritius, Candidus, and Exupernis, their worthy commanders, and at length joined the emperor. About this time, Maximian ordered a general sacrifice, at which the whole army was to assist; and likewise he commanded that they should take the oath of allegiance and swear, at the saame time, to assist in the extirpation of Christianity in Gaul. Alarmed at these orders, each individual of the Theban Legion absolutely refused either to sacrifice or take the oaths prescribed. This so greatly enraged Maximian, that he ordered the legion to be decimated, that is, every tenth man to be selected from the rest, and put to the sword. The names of the soldiers were written on papers and placed in the caps of the centurions, for 600 were destined to perish as examples. These embraced their comrades, who encouraged them and even envied their fate. The plain soon flowed with the blood of the martyrs. The survivors persisted in declaring themselves Christians, and the butchery began again; the blood of another 600 reddened the waters of the Rhone. This second severity made no more impression than the first had done; the soldiers preserved their fortitude and their principles, but by the advice of their officers they drew up a loyal remonstrance to the emperor. This, it might have been presumed, would have softened the emperor, but it had a contrary effect: for, enraged at their perseverance and unanimity, he commanded that the whole legion should be put to death, which was accordingly executed by the other troops, who cut them to pieces with their swords, September 22, 286. The Maximian period is known as the Sixth Primitive Persecution in Fox's Book of Martyrs. During this persecution, raised by Maximinus, numberless Christians were slain without trial, and buried indiscriminately in heaps, sometimes fifty or sixty being cast into a pit together, without the least decency. See Fox's Book of Martyrs here."

You can read more about the Theban Legion here: http://www.bibleprobe.com/theban.html

"After the revolt was quelled, the Emperor Maximian issued an order that the whole army should join offering sacrifices for the Roman gods for the success of their mission. Although these types of offerings were routine, this offering was also tantamount to recognizing the emperor´s claim to divinity. The order included killing Christians (probably as a sacrifice to the Roman gods). Only the Thebian Legion dared to refuse to comply with the orders. The legion withdrew itself, encamped near Aguanum and refused to take part in these rites. "

------------------

From what it described of the rapid spread of Christianity, it sounds more likely that these men became Christians after they were already soldiers and were unable to leave, thus they were martyred when they disobeyed orders. If they had already been Christian I do not think they would have joined the army willingly.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
It makes it difficult to feel sympathy for why you might be "bullied" when you willingly repeat untruth.

what untruth about my OP?

I am not seeking nor need sympathy.

The truth is not popular and accepted by most trin churches or trin believers.

that's the reality and the Truth.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Christians have been known to have been martyred under similar circumstances.Staying in the army will get you killed eventually when you refuse to kill, murder, burn sacrifices to pagan gods, or swear an oath.

From what it described of the rapid spread of Christianity, it sounds more likely that these men became Christians after they were already soldiers and were unable to leave, thus they were martyred when they disobeyed orders. If they had already been Christian I do not think they would have joined the army willingly.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Yeah, I've read Foxe's book and am familiar with traditional Christian history.

The history that you cite is over 200 years after events in Acts 10 and does not answer the question, "Was Cornelius obligated to cease being a Roman soldier after his salvation in Christ?" and "Were all believers required to become pacifists in the first century?"

I think that in Cornelius' case, it more likely wound up like this:

1Co 7:20 Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called.
1Co 7:21 Art thou called being a servant? care not for it: but if thou mayest be made free, use it rather.
1Co 7:22 For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ's servant.
1Co 7:23 Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men.
1Co 7:24 Brethren, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God.

Rosenritter

Yeah, I've read Foxe's book and am familiar with traditional Christian history.

The history that you cite is over 200 years after events in Acts 10 and does not answer the question, "Was Cornelius obligated to cease being a Roman soldier after his salvation in Christ?" and "Were all believers required to become pacifists in the first century?"

I think that in Cornelius' case, it more likely wound up like this:

1Co 7:20 Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called.
1Co 7:21 Art thou called being a servant? care not for it: but if thou mayest be made free, use it rather.
1Co 7:22 For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ's servant.
1Co 7:23 Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men.
1Co 7:24 Brethren, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God.

Do you feel that was speaking to every person in every calling, including prostitutes, assassins, and abortion doctors?

Rosenritter

what untruth about my OP?

I am not seeking nor need sympathy.

The truth is not popular and accepted by most trin churches or trin believers.

that's the reality and the Truth.

Look no further back than one of your posts in the chain. If you call me "Trinity" one more time you're going on ignore status where you can keep the MAD crowd company.