the church

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Another one that just IGNORES the bulk of a post and sticks with their Roman bias. Such a good little cathoholic.
The Lord said and I quote, "I will build my Church." He did not say what you say. There's no reason to believe that any church that existed already in Matthew 16 was what He was talking about. He said, "I will build," not, "I will build again" or anything like that.

Right Divider

Body part
First things first.

Christ has one body. He is not divided.
On this we agree.

Christ says the Bread of Life is His body.
Paul says Christ's body is the Church.

Jesus, as the Bread of Life, bridges the gap that you believe lies between the Church preached in the gospels, and the Church preached by Paul. They are both the Body of Christ.

They are one Church.
Christ has one body.

Perhaps the problem is that you do not believe Christ when He says, "For my flesh is real food, and my blood is real drink."
When did this one church begin?

Right Divider

Body part
The Lord said and I quote, "I will build my Church." He did not say what you say. There's no reason to believe that any church that existed already in Matthew 16 was what He was talking about. He said, "I will build," not, "I will build again" or anything like that.
I didn't say that either but your cathoholic blinders have you completely blind.

Right Divider

Body part
"The Church" appears in the text of Matthew, and then in Acts 1-8, and then after Acts 1-8. When did "the Church" take on its supposed new meaning?
The word "church" is not magic word like too many try to make it. It just means "called out assembly". There are many churches in the Bible.

The SAME Greek word is also translated "assembly" sometimes (Act 19:32,39,41). The word "church" is NOT defined by Matthew. The first "church" historically is the one mentioned in Acts 7 and it's the SAME "church" as the one in Acts 1-8.

Paul shows that THIS church was build on the ROCK that is Christ (compare Acts 7 with 1 Cor 10).

SaulToPaul 2

I believe there are at least 3 churches found in scripture.

1. Old Covenant Israel- Jewish, inherits land (Moses' house- see Hebrews)
2. New Covenant Israel- Jewish, inherits the City (Jesus' house- see Hebrews)
3. The Body of Christ- neither Jew nor Greek, inherits the heavens (see Romans-Philemon)

As far as I'm concerned, these are air tight and indisputable, if we're going to believe the simple words of the Holy Bible.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
The word "church" is not magic word like too many try to make it. It just means "called out assembly". There are many churches in the Bible.

The SAME Greek word is also translated "assembly" sometimes (Act 19:32,39,41). The word "church" is NOT defined by Matthew. The first "church" historically is the one mentioned in Acts 7 and it's the SAME "church" as the one in Acts 1-8.

Paul shows that THIS church was build on the ROCK that is Christ (compare Acts 7 with 1 Cor 10).
In the following, which "the church" is which?

Acts 20:28 (KJV)
1st Corinthians 10:32 (KJV)
1st Corinthians 11:22 (KJV)
1st Corinthians 12:28 (KJV)
1st Corinthians 15:9 (KJV)
Galatians 1:13 (KJV)
Ephesians 1:22 (KJV)
Ephesians 3:10 (KJV)
Ephesians 3:21 (KJV)
Ephesians 5:23 (KJV)
Ephesians 5:24 (KJV)
Ephesians 5:25 (KJV)
Ephesians 5:29 (KJV)
Ephesians 5:32 (KJV)
Philippians 3:6 (KJV)
Colossians 1:18 (KJV)
Colossians 1:24 (KJV)

SaulToPaul 2

The ones that say "church of God" are referring to #2 in my previous post.
The rest are #3.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned

The ones that say "church of God" are referring to #2 in my previous post.
The rest are #3.
The "church of God" in 1st Timothy 3:5 (KJV) is not Israel though, right?

glassjester

I believe there are at least 3 churches found in scripture.

1. Old Covenant Israel- Jewish, inherits land (Moses' house- see Hebrews)
2. New Covenant Israel- Jewish, inherits the City (Jesus' house- see Hebrews)
3. The Body of Christ- neither Jew nor Greek, inherits the heavens (see Romans-Philemon)

No, it did not. It was already in existence long before that (See Acts 7 and 1 Cor 10).

Paul says we participate in the Body of Christ, and that we are one body, when we partake of the bread.
Christ broke the bread with the 12 and told them, "This is my body."

The apostles, and the recipients of Paul's letters, then, are part of the same Church - the Body of Christ.