Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repentance is the Gift Of God !

I'm going to share a few scriptures on repentance. Acts 5:31

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Acts 11:18

18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Acts 20:21

21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

The greek word for repentance in these verses is metanoia and means:

change of mind, repentance

Usage: repentance, a change of mind, change in the inner man.

Notice also in Acts 5 and Acts 11 the God is said to give or grant this repentance. This repentance towards God is something man doesn't have naturally, it must be furnished by God. Its Gods Gift to His Chosen People.
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

Charles Spurgeon !

The word Give in Acts 5 and grant in Acts 11 are the very same greek word didómi and does mean to:

1. of one's own accord to give one something, to his advantage; to bestow, give as a gift:

to supply, furnish, necessary things:

Joined with nouns denoting strength, faculty, power, virtue, δίδωμι (τίνι τί) is equivalent to: to furnish, endue,

​​​​​​​This furnishing is the new birth, new Spiritual life and faculties.

Charles Spurgeon !

Comment

Now to show why I believe that repentance is the product of the new birth, lets look at 1 Pet 1:3

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

The words begotten us again, speaking of new birth, is the word anagennaō:
      1. to produce again, be born again, born anew
      2. metaph. to have one's mind changed so that he lives a new life and one conformed to the will of God
      So repentance correlates with being born anew, which is produced through the resurrection of Christ from the dead. This explains why Peter says in Acts 5:31

31Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

notice to be born anew is to have one mind changed, which is the essence of repentance.

Charles Spurgeon !

Comment

"For godly sorrow works repentance to salvation not to be regretted: but the sorrow of the world works death" (2 Cor. 7:10).

Having repentance for sin against God is a Step towards salavation. Worldly sorrow is feeling sorry for ones self.

sorrow
        λύπη (lypē)
        Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
        Strong's Greek 3077: Pain, grief, sorrow, affliction. Apparently a primary word; sadness.

repentance
        μετάνοιαν (metanoian)
        Noun - Accusative Feminine Singular
        Strong's Greek 3341: From metanoeo; compunction; by implication, reversal (another's) decision).

Comment

Originally posted by beloved57 View Post
          Now to show why I believe that repentance is the product of the new birth, lets look at 1 Pet 1:3

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

The words begotten us again, speaking of new birth, is the word anagennaō:
          1. to produce again, be born again, born anew
          2. metaph. to have one's mind changed so that he lives a new life and one conformed to the will of God
          So repentance correlates with being born anew, which is produced through the resurrection of Christ from the dead. This explains why Peter says in Acts 5:31

31Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

notice to be born anew is to have one mind changed, which is the essence of repentance.

Amen Brother to all 3 parts !

Repentance is a gift Given in New Birth specifically to those Christ died for: A Chosen Remnant People named Israel, consisting of many ethnicities. And it's exclusively to them, the Israel of God: His Elect, the Church, or Christ's Sheep, to whom Repentance [a change of Mind / metanoia] is Given to them because He is their Prince and Saviour; for it's the result of His Resurrection and Ascension to the Right Hand of God on their ["Our"] behalf !

My soul thirsts for God, the God Who Lives Forever;
          when shall I be brought in to see His Face? - Psalm 42:2

Comment

Originally posted by Nanja View Post

Amen Brother to all 3 parts !

Repentance is a gift Given in New Birth specifically to those Christ died for: A Chosen Remnant People named Israel, consisting of many ethnicities. And it's exclusively to them, the Israel of God: His Elect, the Church, or Christ's Sheep, to whom Repentance [a change of Mind / metanoia] is Given to them because He is their Prince and Saviour; for it's the result of His Resurrection and Ascension to the Right Hand of God on their ["Our"] behalf !
            Exactly Sister ! You nailed it

Charles Spurgeon !

Comment

The unregenerate, who are in the flesh still, have no right to or no command to repent. All while in the flesh as natural men are bound to the Law, to do the whole Law as it was with Adam. So any command for men to repent as say in Acts 17:30

30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Its to the regenerate, who through the work of Christ and the Holy Spirit have been freed to be married to another. Rom 7:1-3

Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?

2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

Now its only through the death of Christ for an individual are they free from the dominion of the law, however its a secret as who it is Christ died until born again by the Spirit. So even the unregenerate elect for whom Christ died, are bound to do the law. Until they are regenerate, the command to repent isnt for the unregenerate elect. All natural men are bound to and under the dominion of the Law.

Charles Spurgeon !

Comment

The unregenerate, who are in the flesh still, have no right to or no command to repent. All while in the flesh as natural men are bound to the Law, to do the whole Law as it was with Adam. So any command for men to repent as say in Acts 17:30

30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Its to the regenerate, who through the work of Christ and the Holy Spirit have been freed to be married to another. Rom 7:1-3

Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?

2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

Now its only through the death of Christ for an individual are they free from the dominion of the law, however its a secret as who it is Christ died until born again by the Spirit. So even the unregenerate elect for whom Christ died, are bound to do the law. Until they are regenerate, the command to repent isnt for the unregenerate elect. All natural men are bound to and under the dominion of the Law.

Amen Brother, even though God's Command to repent is given exclusively to His Elect along with remission of sins in New Birth, by which they are freed from the Law:

Nevertheless, the non elect, because they are still indebted to keep the whole Law perfectly, shall remain lawbreakers permanently as no repentance is Given them Rev. 21:8.

Comment

Amen Brother, even though God's Command to repent is given exclusively to His Elect along with remission of sins in New Birth, by which they are freed from the Law:

Nevertheless, the non elect, because they are still indebted to keep the whole Law perfectly, shall remain lawbreakers permanently as no repentance is Given them Rev. 21:8.

Exactly !

Charles Spurgeon !

Comment

Repentance is to bring change in the inner man. It is a requirement of a change of heart.

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary
                    "Repentance is God's gift; not only his free grace accepts it, but his mighty grace works it in us, grace takes away the heart of stone, and gives us a heart of flesh. The sacrifice of God is a broken spirit."

Repentance is required to be saved

Matthew Poole's Commentary
                    "repentance unto life, because God hath appointed that it should precede our entrance into life."

Strong's Concordance
                    metanoia: change of mind, repentance
                    Original Word: μετάνοια, ας, ἡ
                    Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
                    Transliteration: metanoia
                    Phonetic Spelling: (met-an'-oy-ah)
                    Definition: change of mind, repentance
                    Usage: repentance, a change of mind, change in the inner man.

Comment

Again Christ gives repentance as the risen Saviour Acts 5:30-31

30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree. 31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Two Gifts of the risen Saviour, that come from/out of Him are Repentance and Forgiveness of sins.

Now Jesus Himself commands that these things be preached in His Name, because they flow from Him Lk 24:46-47

Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: 47 and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Neither repentance nor forgiveness of sins have their source in man, but in Christ and His finished work !

Charles Spurgeon !

Comment

Again Christ gives repentance as the risen Saviour Acts 5:30-31

30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree. 31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Two Gifts of the risen Saviour, that come from/out of Him are Repentance and Forgiveness of sins.

Now Jesus Himself commands that these things be preached in His Name, because they flow from Him Lk 24:46-47

Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: 47 and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Neither repentance nor forgiveness of sins have their source in man, but in Christ and His finished work !
                        Absolutely Brother !

Comment

Absolutely Brother !
                          Yes Mam, Repentance is to be credited to the Person and Work of Christ for His People. He turns us from our sins Acts 3:26

Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

Charles Spurgeon !

Comment

Yes Mam, Repentance is to be credited to the Person and Work of Christ for His People. He turns us from our sins Acts 3:26

Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

Yes Sir, the Blessing of Repentance that Christ gives His People is unto Salvation: It turns everyone of them from their sins and gives them Repentance.

So He was raised and exalted to give Repentance to Israel Acts 5:31, His Elect Is. 45:17.

Now if one goes through his or her lifetime never being given by Christ the godly sorrow that worketh repentance 2 Cor. 7:10 that actually Turns them from their iniquities Acts 3:26, then they were never His people to begin with, and He was never their savior.

Last edited by Nanja; February 16th, 2020, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Yes Sir, the Blessing of Repentance that Christ gives His People is unto Salvation: It turns everyone of them from their sins and gives them Repentance.

So He was raised and exalted to give Repentance to Israel Acts 5:31, His Elect Is. 45:17.

Now if one goes through his or her lifetime never being given by Christ the godly sorrow that worketh repentance 2 Cor. 7:10 that actually Turns them from their iniquities Acts 3:26, then they were never His people to begin with, and He was never their savior.
                              Amen!

Charles Spurgeon !

Comment

Working...
                              X