HEBREWS 8 THE NEW COVENANT IS NOT FOR THE CHURCH

DougE

Hebrews 8:1 Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;

8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

The writer of Hebrews was writing to believing Jews in Christ, who believed the gospel of the kingdom, and were awaiting the coming of Christ to establish their Davidic kingdom on earth (Matthew 4:23 Jeremiah 23:5).

Christ was their High Priest and mediator of a better covenant.

Nowhere does Paul say that the church, the body of Christ, in this dispensation, is under covenant.

8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

The first covenant was not faulty, the fault lied with Israel who failed to keep it.

The writer of Hebrews is referencing Jeremiah 31:31-34 in which the Lord will make an everlasting covenant with Israel (Ezekiel 37:26).

8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.

Israel failed to keep the covenant made when God took them out of Egypt (Exodus 19:1-6 Deuteronomy 29:25).

8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

The fulfillment of the new covenant is future. It will be realized after "those days". "Those days" are described in Jeremiah 30:3 when Israel will possess all the promised land; "those days" refer to the time of Jacob's trouble, the great tribulation to come upon Israel, in Jeremiah 30:7.

Israel will be enabled by the spirit of God to keep the new covenant. The spirit in them, will cause them to keep his law (Ezekiel 36:27).

The new covenant is made only with the house of Israel, not the church, the body of Christ.

8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

8:13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

It is only at the coming of Christ, and the establishment of his kingdom on earth, that Israel will receive pardon for their iniquities (Acts 3:19 Jeremiah 33:8).

The church, the body of Christ, has forgiveness of all sin now (Ephesians 1:7 Colossians 1:14).

Theo102

The practice and consent of the people of the covenant was symbolised by blood, and the blood was later symbolised by the wine, since blood sacrifice had been repudiated (Matthew 9:13, Matthew 12:7).

And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
For this is my blood of the new testament[diatheke], which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
Matthew 26:27-28

diatheke = covenant

And he took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people: and they said, All that YHWH hath said will we do, and be obedient.
And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled it on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant, which YHWH hath made with you concerning all these words.
Exodus 24:7-8