Why a Sacrifice if Calvinism is True?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why a Sacrifice if Calvinism is True?

Calvinism says that God would rather go through all the trouble of creating those whom He has elected to first live a life of sin on Earth before they could be saved and be with Him. He could have just created them to be with Him from the beginning as He did the angels. If you deny that He has the ability to do this, then you deny that He has all power. If He were to do this rather than predestine them to sin, He would not have to send HIs son to die for them. So according to Calvinism, God would prefer to watch His son die a miserable death for an elect group that He predestined to live on Earth and sin rather than just create the elect to be with Him from the get go. Why would He go through having to watch His son be tortured and murdered when in His Sovereignty, He could just have just skipped all this devastation?
    "The most terrifying words in the English language are 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan

Check out the "rightest" of all right wing moms. FarRightMom

Upgrade your TOL membership.

Originally posted by Poly View Post
    Calvinism says that God would rather go through all the trouble of creating those whom He has elected to first live a life of sin on Earth before they could be saved and be with Him. He could have just created them to be with Him from the beginning as He did the angels. If you deny that He has the ability to do this, then you deny that He has all power. If He were to do this rather than predestine them to sin, He would not have to send HIs son to die for them. So according to Calvinism, God would prefer to watch His son die a miserable death for an elect group that He predestined to live on Earth and sin rather than just create the elect to be with Him from the get go. Why would He go through having to watch His son be tortured and murdered when in His Sovereignty, He could just have just skipped all this devastation?
    Good post.

Also, from what do those predestined to avoid suffering eternal torment--the elect--need to be saved? Obviously they do not need to be saved from suffering eternal torment, for, by predestination, they were never in danger of it in the first place. And, since the elect were predestined to sin, to say that the elect need to be saved from their sin would seem to be to say that the elect need to be saved from predestination--that the elect need to be saved from God's will.

And, in what sense could Calvinism ever meaningfully say that the non-elect--the "eternally reprobate"--need to be saved from anything? For, according to Calvinism, by predestinated necessity, the "eternally reprobate" actually (like the elect) need to sin, and actually (unlike the elect) need to suffer eternal torment.

All my ancestors are human.
    PS: All your ancestors are human.
    PPS: To all you cats, dogs, monkeys, and other assorted house pets whose masters are outsourcing the task of TOL post-writing to you (we know who you are )– you may disregard the PS.

Comment

I believe the following is what God predestined for all mankind.

heir kinds. And God saw that it was good.

"Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

So God created mankind in his own image,

in the image of God he created them;

male and female he created them.

God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”

Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so" (Gen. 1:26-30).

Comment

Working...
      X