White People now apologize for being White?

nikolai_42

Where did she apologize? Can you give me a quote?

That's one way to share your IQ. :eek:

Can I just jump in for a second with a comment? One of those times that one reads and says (to one's self) "Oh! Oh!"....

Anyway, I would ask what the response would be if anyone (Chandler, Arquette or anyone else) who has what is being called "White Privilege" were to be openly thankful for it. What if someone got up and said "Yes. I was born white and in a predominantly white society (not so much anymore, but the implication of the term is that historical minority groups are getting run over) I found myself with certain benefits and privileges. And I am very thankful for them. It made me want to make the best of my opportunities and excel in everything I did to show gratitude for the benefits I received through no effort of my own."

My take is that there are at least 2 reasons this would go over like a lead balloon :

1. They are apologizing - if only tacitly - and this would be considered a slap in the face by those who want to see social equality (not justice, as it is commonly named) enforced by bringing down those who have privileges (which, I would say, are cultural benefits of a Modern Western Christian civilization). It's power struggle imported into culture. That's the Marxist way. As the maxims that are (erroneously) attributed to Abraham Lincoln say :

1. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
2. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
3. You cannot help small men up by tearing big men down.
4. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
5. You cannot lift the wage-earner up by pulling the wage-payer down.
6. You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.
7. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
8. You cannot establish sound social security on borrowed money.
9. You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man’s initiative and independence.
10. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.

While 6 and 8 are primarily economic statements, the rest are basically applicable to today's (so-called) social justice movement. Regardless of who said them, they are true.

2. To be thankful for something implies that you were actually given something. Who will (predominantly) liberal atheists thank for their lives and what they were born into?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
If these liberal idiots want to put their money where their mouths are, let's see them move to a third world country where they won't have "white privilege"

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Can I just jump in for a second with a comment? One of those times that one reads and says (to one's self) "Oh! Oh!"....

Anyway, I would ask what the response would be if anyone (Chandler, Arquette or anyone else) who has what is being called "White Privilege" were to be openly thankful for it. What if someone got up and said "Yes. I was born white and in a predominantly white society (not so much anymore, but the implication of the term is that historical minority groups are getting run over) I found myself with certain benefits and privileges. And I am very thankful for them. It made me want to make the best of my opportunities and excel in everything I did to show gratitude for the benefits I received through no effort of my own."

My take is that there are at least 2 reasons this would go over like a lead balloon :

You're asking what the response would be from whom, were they to actually (and unfortunately) hear someone get up and talk about how they're thankful for being born white into a predominantly white society?

1. They are apologizing - if only tacitly -

Of the two women in the OP, one said she was sorry she was born white and one didn't. Talking about the existence of white privilege (Handler) isn't the same as saying "I'm sorry I was born white" (Arquette).

and this would be considered a slap in the face by those who want to see social equality (not justice, as it is commonly named) enforced by bringing down those who have privileges (which, I would say, are cultural benefits of a Modern Western Christian civilization).

Would you say white Christians receive the most "cultural benefits" from "Modern Western Christian civilization?"

It's power struggle imported into culture. That's the Marxist way.

Do you think there were no power struggles in history until Marx came along?

"As the maxims that are (erroneously) attributed to Abraham Lincoln say :

They're the maxims of a preacher benefiting from "Modern Western Christian civilization," who was anti-trade union and pro-employer. Do you think his personal beliefs colored his maxims at all?

More to the OP:

Do you think that being born white affords that person systematic societal benefits that they're likely not even aware they receive?