Trump: Racist Firestorm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ok doser View Post
    was it racist to ban Germans in the first half of the 1940s?
    Can domestic whites be *racist* against foreign whites?

Orange meets apple.
    _/\_

Christians: "I - a stranger and afraid - in a world I never made.." -- Houseman

Comment

I'm in and out at the moment but wanted to complete this thought - of course, it was not racist for us to ban German nationals in the first half of the 1940's

but those who are racist at heart, who see everything in terms of race, will argue that it was racist of us to ban Japanese nationals during the first half of the 1940's

in a similar manner, they are unreasonable in their belief that trump is racist in banning certain nationalities, even though his ban included all ethnicities and religions from those countries

Comment

Originally posted by quip View Post
        Can whites be racist against foreign whites?
        a great question and one i'd love to discuss with anyone other than you

go away troll

Comment

a great question and one i'd love to discuss with anyone other than you

go away troll
          It's a red herring.
          Bye!
          _/\_

Comment

Probably. I'm sure it prevented the escape of a lot of German Jews who then died in the gas chambers. Everyone can be racist, and you can be racist against segments of your own race. Anytime we class groups of people as inherently inferior or superior in some way based on skin color or where they are from that's racism. We should evaluate the value and behavior of the individual, not the group.

You, I assume are a white male. How would you feel if the rest of the nation classed you and other white men as dangerous because a few white men have been going on shooting rampages? Would that be racist?
            “We do not believe in God because we need to explain this or that feature of the world. That is what science is for. We believe in God because we see something deeper in the world, something that transcends the scientific explanations.” - Karl Giberson Ph.D.

- The science and faith of theistic evolution explained.

Comment

doser asked:
              which "race" would you categorize obama as?

racist people tend to identify him as "black" because of his appearance - skin tone, hair color and texture, etc
              ala responded:
              Originally posted by Alate_One View Post
              Recognizing that society will typically class someone as "black" does not make one racist. However, Obama self identified as black.
              that's not an answer to my question

Comment

Probably. I'm sure it prevented the escape of a lot of German Jews who then died in the gas chambers. Everyone can be racist, and you can be racist against segments of your own race. Anytime we class groups of people as inherently inferior or superior in some way based on skin color or where they are from that's racism.
                is it racist of me to note that asians tend to score significantly higher than whites on IQ tests?

You, I assume are a white male. How would you feel if the rest of the nation classed you and other white men as dangerous because a few white men have been going on shooting rampages? Would that be racist?
                was it racist (or agist or genderist) for insurance companies to charge me significantly more for car insurance when I was young?

Comment

Anytime we class groups of people as inherently inferior or superior in some way based on skin color or where they are from that's racism.
                  is it racist of me, as a health care professional, to note potential disease states that are linked to skin color or country of origin?

Comment

is it racist of me, as a health care professional, to note potential disease states that are linked to skin color or country of origin?
                    No. Though country of origin not really the question is ethnicity/ancestry not necessarily the country. Certain genetic diseases do run in Ashkenazi Jewish groups, others in certain parts of Africa.

Skin tone does make a difference as far as skin cancer rates and vitamin D deficiency but that's really the only biological difference as far as melanin goes.
                    “We do not believe in God because we need to explain this or that feature of the world. That is what science is for. We believe in God because we see something deeper in the world, something that transcends the scientific explanations.” - Karl Giberson Ph.D.

Comment

• Originally posted by ok doser View Post
                      is it racist of me to note that asians tend to score significantly higher than whites on IQ tests?
                      No, but it is racist to assign inherent value to IQ tests or to assume they reflect a genetic difference in intelligence. So you know what the strongest correlation is with SAT exam scores? Income level.

was it racist (or agist or genderist) for insurance companies to charge me significantly more for car insurance when I was young?
                      Young males do tend to engage in risky behavior more than other groups. There are biological differences between genders and Insurance is currently permitted to use that to discriminate between people. Now we might decide as a society at some future time that charging people based on risk, some of which isn't within their control, isn't fair and design a new system.

Comment

that's not an answer to my question

Not my job to categorize people by race. I can estimate what society will assume about a person but I generally take the person's word for it.

I work at a school with a very diverse student body. I don't try to guess where they are from or what "race" they are, there be dragons. You can often guess where someone grew up by their accent, or what language they speak but even that can be misleading at times.

Several years ago there was a black graduate student serving at my church who had a perfect "generic" American accent which made me think she was American. I later learned she was actually born in Angola but had been educated by white American evangelical Christians in Portugal (hence no detectable accent in her English). And before you ask, she said she preferred to be referred to as black rather than African American since she wasn't actually American.

In my life I just try to deal with people as individuals and let them tell me who they are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alate_One View Post
                          Not my job to categorize people by race.
                          then you have no grounds by which to claim trump is being racist

those middle eastern countries are, to you, aracial, and so trump's targeting of them is also aracial

Comment

those middle eastern countries are, to you, aracial, and so trump's targeting of them is also aracial
                            I think you got yourself into a non-sequitur. What my beliefs are with regards to race really doesn't make any difference in regards to whether Trump is a racist or not. Either someone discriminates on the basis of race or they don't. He also clearly views some races as superior to others. He treats the races differently based on his personal racial hierarchy, therefore he is a racist. Worse since he is able to make policy, he can use his own personal biases to set racist policies in motion.

Even if I personally claimed to be totally colorblind (which I am not) it wouldn't matter because Trump would still objectively be a racist. :P

Race exists as a social construct, it can be discussed without being a racist. It's when you assert racial differences leading to superior and inferior groups then you have a problem.
                            Last edited by Alate_One; September 2, 2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Was that your QED?
                              _/\_

Comment

• Originally posted by Alate_One View Post
                                I think you got yourself into a non-sequitur. What my beliefs are with regards to race really doesn't make any difference in regards to whether Trump is a racist or not.
                                of course they do - they're key to understanding why you think something that's demonstrably false

Either someone discriminates on the basis of race or they don't.
                                as i demonstrated with regard to muslims and "people of middle eastern descent", he doesn't

He also clearly views some races as superior to others.
                                you haven't "clearly" demonstrated this - care to try?

He treats the races differently ...
                                in what way does he treat negroes differently?

in what way does he treat asians differently?

... Trump would still objectively be a racist.
                                but you've failed so far to give objective evidence of his racism

Race exists as a social construct, it can be discussed without being a racist. It's when you assert racial differences leading to superior and inferior groups that you have a problem.
                                superior and inferior in what way?
                                Last edited by ok doser; September 2, 2019, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X