Mueller turns up the heat on impeachment

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
House Democrats of all stripes say the window for launching impeachment proceedings against President Trump is quickly closing.

Heading into the long August recess, Democratic leaders resisted efforts to initiate a formal impeachment inquiry, frustrating liberals who say Robert Mueller's report on presidential obstruction - accentuated by the former special counsel's testimony before Congress on Wednesday - provides ample reason to begin the process.

Those progressive lawmakers are hoping Mueller's remarks will sink in with voters over the six-week summer break, nudging more House Democrats to endorse impeachment when Congress returns to Washington in September - and force leadership to take it up.

To wait much longer, they warn, will be too late.

"If we don't take action come Sept. 1, then we should just shut it down because we're not going to be able to do anything at all," Rep. Jackie Speier (D-Calif.), a member of the House Intelligence Committee, told CNN. "I feel strongly that we should, but I think we're running out of time."

Other Democrats see a longer timeline for Congress to move forward on impeachment - but not much longer. With the 2020 presidential race ramping up, they say, the utility of impeachment has an expiration date.

"I think it's got to be this year. You can't start it after the Iowa caucuses," said Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.), who has backed leadership's more cautious, investigative approach to executive oversight. "I think we've got to make a decision probably before Thanksgiving."

Behind Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), Democratic leaders have rejected the move toward impeachment, citing the need to build a stronger case of presidential wrongdoing before taking such a divisive step.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/454959-democrats-see-window-closing-for-impeachment

"...Democratic leaders have rejected the move toward impeachment, citing the need to build a stronger case of presidential wrongdoing..."

....such as actual evidence and not just wishful thinking

ok doser

Impeachment without actual evidence is just the thing the dems need to turn the country permanently against them

I say go for it! :thumb:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
That’s why I worded it the way I did.

I notice that Trump has accused people of treason for reporting his behavior.

FOX NEWS: In his first interview since Robert Mueller's wildly anticipated hearings, President Trump called the Special Counsel's investigation "treason," adding that this should "never be allowed to happen to our country again."

"This should never happen to another president of the United States again," Trump said in an interview with FNC's Sean Hannity. "This is an absolute catastrophe for our country. This was a fake witch hunt and it should never be allowed to happen to another president again."

"This was treason. This was high crimes. This was everything as bad a definition as you want to come up with. This should never be allowed to happen to our country again," the president said.

This is precisely why the founders very carefully limited the definition of treason. They knew from experience that men like Trump would show up eventually, and they wanted to make sure he would fail in his attempt.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...ng_this_was_treason_this_was_high_crimes.html

ok doser

Too late. We’re already divided. We should impeach, and if history shows the senate GOP to be feckless cowards at best and traitors at worst so be it.

Traitor/treason is defined as aiding an "enemy"

Enemy is defined as someone with whom we are at war

Russia is not our enemy

We are not at war with Russia

Sorry crazy people, once again you fail :(

Last edited:

ok doser

So according to the 116 Congress legislative calendar, the house is not in session this week, until September

Looks like impeachment has been put on hold, um?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I notice that Trump has accused people of treason for reporting his behavior.

FOX NEWS: In his first interview since Robert Mueller's wildly anticipated hearings, President Trump called the Special Counsel's investigation "treason," adding that this should "never be allowed to happen to our country again."

"This should never happen to another president of the United States again," Trump said in an interview with FNC's Sean Hannity. "This is an absolute catastrophe for our country. This was a fake witch hunt and it should never be allowed to happen to another president again."

"This was treason. This was high crimes. This was everything as bad a definition as you want to come up with. This should never be allowed to happen to our country again," the president said.

This is precisely why the founders very carefully limited the definition of treason. They knew from experience that men like Trump would show up eventually, and they wanted to make sure he would fail in his attempt.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...ng_this_was_treason_this_was_high_crimes.html

I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me, since I didn't say it was treasonous to be cowardly.

Gary K

Banned
It isn't factual. Feel free to support your assertions so we can take a look at the evidence.

So, you'e afraid to say what you really think of Muller's testimony. All you will do is dispute my version of it and offer none of your own point of view. Very telling, anna. I will just have to accept my own verdict since you don't even own up to having one.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
So, you'e afraid to say what you really think of Muller's testimony. All you will do is dispute my version of it and offer none of your own point of view. Very telling, anna. I will just have to accept my own verdict since you don't even own up to having one.

I'm not going to indulge you in your deflection. Either you can support your very specific assertions about Mueller or you can't. Blaming me for your inability or unwillingness to support your assertions is your problem, not mine.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Fact: The US system runs on the premise of "innocent until proven guilty."

You make the charges of rape and treason, you present the evidence.

What? You spent three years on a Trump probe and conducted three FBI investigations into the then-Supreme Court nominee and found ... wait for it ... nothing?

But you're still leveling accusations?

Sounds a lot more like political animus than a pursuit of justice. :think:

Gary K

Banned
I'm not going to indulge you in your deflection. Either you can support your very specific assertions about Mueller or you can't. Blaming me for your inability or unwillingness to support your assertions is your problem, not mine.

I have said what my opinion is. I stated it flat out. You are the one ducking and dodging rather than telling me what your position is. I know why you won't too. If Mueller does have alzheimers it means he was completely incapable of running his vaunted "investigation", and that none of the Democrats he interacted with over that entire period of time were capable of recognizing his badly failing mental state. Meaning of course, that they themselves are so mentally incompetent they couldn't recognize it in Mueller.

Or, it means that the Democrats did know and they covered this up so the investigation would be run by friends of the Clinton's, Obama's, etc.... That means it was a completely compromised investigation from beginning to end by political corruption. So, what is it, anna? Is Mueller a very good actor or are the Democrats hopelessly mentally incompetent or just so politically corrupt that justice has no meaning to them?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I have said what my opinion is. I stated it flat out. You are the one ducking and dodging rather than telling me what your position is. I know why you won't too. If Mueller does have alzheimers it means he was completely incapable of running his vaunted "investigation", and that none of the Democrats he interacted with over that entire period of time were capable of recognizing his badly failing mental state. Meaning of course, that they themselves are so mentally incompetent they couldn't recognize it in Mueller.

Or, it means that the Democrats did know and they covered this up so the investigation would be run by friends of the Clinton's, Obama's, etc.... That means it was a completely compromised investigation from beginning to end by political corruption. So, what is it, anna? Is Mueller a very good actor or are the Democrats hopelessly mentally incompetent or just so politically corrupt that justice has no meaning to them?

So... you have nothing factual, then.

As for the rest of your rant, I don't jump through hoops, and especially not as cover for someone else's lack.