What should be the punishment for rape?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Is that the law and do you believe that it is God's Law? Your terms are progressing, but I am staying with Torah so far.

What I believe is that God is a loving God who would not endorse rape under any circumstances.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
What I believe is that God is a loving God who would not endorse rape under any circumstances.

Yes. But consent for an engaged woman with someone she is not engaged to is not lawful. It still results in death for the man. Like with a married woman. Adultery is not circumvented by consent. If she gives her consent, then is she also to be blamed? Does he not know she is engaged or married?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes. But consent for an engaged woman with someone she is not engaged to is not lawful. It still results in death for the man. Like with a married woman. Adultery is not circumvented by consent. If she gives her consent, then is she also to be blamed? Does he not know she is engaged or married?

You are posting in politics in regards to rape. An illegal act. Absent consent, sex would be forced .... aka rape. Adultery (while evil) is not in the same category. It is not a sexual assault.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
You are posting in politics in regards to rape. An illegal act. Absent consent, sex would be forced .... aka rape. Adultery (while evil) is not in the same category. It is not a sexual assault.

Okay. But adultery is a punishable offense, even without a sexual assault, rape.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Okay. But adultery is a punishable offense, even without a sexual assault, rape.

Adultery IS a sin. It is punishable by God, not man. You are legally bound by the laws of our nation and spiritually bound by the laws of God.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Adultery IS a sin. It is punishable by God, not man. You are legally bound by the laws of our nation and spiritually bound by the laws of God.

You can be punished on earth in a court for adultery.

I wasn't thinking of rape as sexual assault. More having sex with someone that you shouldn't. But a man might rape his wife so I understand that now.

Gary K

Banned
Is that the law and do you believe that it is God's Law? Your terms are progressing, but I am staying with Torah so far.

You are not staying with what the Torah speaks to.

Deuteronomy 22:25 ¶But if a man find a betrothed damsel in the field, and the man force her, and lie with her: then the man only that lay with her shall die:
[SIZE=+0]26[/SIZE] But unto the damsel thou shalt do nothing; there is in the damsel no sin worthy of death: for as when a man riseth against his neighbour, and slayeth him, even so is this matter:
[SIZE=+0]27[/SIZE] For he found her in the field, and the betrothed damsel cried, and there was none to save her.

If there are no witnesses how is force to be proven? If he beats her badly enough to wound her? The text doesn't speak to that at all. It speaks to her saying no and asking for help but no one being there to hear her cries. Her story is taken at face value, and the man is executed by stoning. This passage speaks directly to consent. And so do the other verses in this chapter.

Deuteronomy 22:23¶If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her;
[SIZE=+0]24[/SIZE] Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city; and the man, because he hath humbled his neighbour’s wife: so thou shalt put away evil from among you.

Notice, consent is assumed in this case because if the woman had made a big objection to having sex someone would have heard her because she was inside a city. The same goes for the circumstances in verse 22. The woman is assumed to have given consent because the adultery happened inside the walls of a city and no one heard her scream for help. Remember, these were cities without major traffic noise and glassed in windows so sound carried much better in them than it does in a modern city.

You are the one that isn't even coming close to taking a position that agrees with scripture.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
You are not staying with what the Torah speaks to.

If there are no witnesses how is force to be proven? If he beats her badly enough to wound her? The text doesn't speak to that at all. It speaks to her saying no and asking for help but no one being there to hear her cries. Her story is taken at face value, and the man is executed by stoning. This passage speaks directly to consent. And so do the other verses in this chapter.

Notice, consent is assumed in this case because if the woman had made a big objection to having sex someone would have heard her because she was inside a city. The same goes for the circumstances in verse 22. The woman is assumed to have given consent because the adultery happened inside the walls of a city and no one heard her scream for help. Remember, these were cities without major traffic noise and glassed in windows so sound carried much better in them than it does in a modern city.

You are the one that isn't even coming close to taking a position that agrees with scripture.

I don't know when you thought that I was telling you that you are wrong but you are wrong if you have thought so.

The point is that the engaged or betrothed woman is protected by law because she will soon be married.

My failure is in not seeing the word rape in the Bible but trying to apply it the best I know how.