Murderers Go Free

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
A murderer may be sentenced to death or to life in prison. Jesus forgives all sin. So are murderers free spiritually or physically when they are forgiven by God?

I grew up thinking that murderers cannot be forgiven. That has been challenged today after Bible Study on my way home. The implications may be for all capital crimes.

Do you object? Do I need to keep thinking about my sins if I have been forgiven by God and Jesus?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The death penalty.

I am for it. Should I change my opinion? Or only for those who are forgiven by God and Jesus if anyone? Should a life sentence serve in its place? Or, no punishment or penalties for crimes committed by anyone or by believers?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The death penalty.

I am for it. Should I change my opinion? Or only for those who are forgiven by God and Jesus if anyone? Should a life sentence serve in its place? Or, no punishment or penalties for crimes committed by anyone or by believers?

I can’t think of one good reason to not utilize the death penalty for murderers. Can you?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I can’t think of one good reason to not utilize the death penalty for murderers. Can you?
This may be a long journey. My name is Jacob Mertens. I believe that the Law may be abolished on the basis of forgiveness in Christ, perhaps beginning with believers if not for everyone. A believer may be forgiven for murder, and still punished with death. Should God's Law be enforced forever? If you can follow this I would like to continue with you.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
What is the reason that a judge has sometimes given a life sentence rather than enforcing the death penalty? Is it because of forgiveness in Jesus Christ?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What is the reason that a judge has sometimes given a life sentence rather than enforcing the death penalty? Is it because of forgiveness in Jesus Christ?

No. The judge has an obligation to enforce the penalty based on the.verdict and mandatory sentencing.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
No. The judge has an obligation to enforce the penalty based on the.verdict and mandatory sentencing.

A life sentence is a lesser sentence than required by law.

Deuteronomy 19:15 NASB - 15 "A single witness shall not rise up against a man on account of any iniquity or any sin which he has committed; on the evidence of two or three witnesses a matter shall be confirmed.

A murder that is an accident may involve fleeing to a city of refuge until the death of the High Priest.

Numbers 35:25, 28 NASB - 25 'The congregation shall deliver the manslayer from the hand of the blood avenger, and the congregation shall restore him to his city of refuge to which he fled; and he shall live in it until the death of the high priest who was anointed with the holy oil. ... 28 because he should have remained in his city of refuge until the death of the high priest. But after the death of the high priest the manslayer shall return to the land of his possession.

Joshua 20:6 NASB - 6 'He shall dwell in that city until he stands before the congregation for judgment, until the death of the one who is high priest in those days. Then the manslayer shall return to his own city and to his own house, to the city from which he fled.'"

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do I need to keep thinking about my sins if I have been forgiven by God and Jesus?

There's a difference between man's judgement and God's.

God orders men to implement and enforce a good justice system, but He makes it clear that our efforts are limited to what we can see and hear, while He looks at the heart.

Thus, He can judge is according to our thoughts, while a court can only go on evidence and testimony.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
There's a difference between man's judgement and God's.

God orders men to implement and enforce a good justice system, but He makes it clear that our efforts are limited to what we can see and hear, while He looks at the heart.

Thus, He can judge is according to our thoughts, while a court can only go on evidence and testimony.
Deuteronomy 1:17 NASB - 17 'You shall not show partiality in judgment; you shall hear the small and the great alike. You shall not fear man, for the judgment is God's. The case that is too hard for you, you shall bring to me, and I will hear it.'

2 Chronicles 19:6 NASB - 6 He said to the judges, "Consider what you are doing, for you do not judge for man but for the LORD who is with you when you render judgment.​