Every day is a new circus.

nikolai_42

Did you ever think you'd see the day when Trump would shaft one of our closest friends and allies as Canada and gush over Kim Jong Un and Putin?

Up is down and down is up.

It's all sideways. Don't forget Obama gave Iran at least $400M in cash and allowed them to police their own nuclear activities. I think Trump expects more out of a Western nation than an Eastern dictator. Of course now NK will be allowed to police their own denuclearization (at least no provisions for it in the deal). Then again, Clinton got NK to agree not to test nuclear weapons back in 1994...

Said an anonymous gov't official back then :

Ten years from now, we'll know whether we did the right thing.

Here it is nearly 25 years on and we know the answer to that.

nikolai_42

It's all sideways. Don't forget Obama gave Iran at least $400M in cash and allowed them to police their own nuclear activities. I think Trump expects more out of a Western nation than an Eastern dictator. Of course now NK will be allowed to police their own denuclearization (at least no provisions for it in the deal). Then again, Clinton got NK to agree not to test nuclear weapons back in 1994...

Said an anonymous gov't official back then :

Here it is nearly 25 years on and we know the answer to that.

And let's not forget who sold uranium to the Russians (the very same country we are supposedly at odds with for their meddling in our elections).

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
And let's not forget who sold uranium to the Russians (the very same country we are supposedly at odds with for their meddling in our elections).

Who? Please don't say Hillary, since you should know by now what really happened.

chart.png

nikolai_42

Do you know why?

My mistake - it was somewhere between $1B and $2B. And even if I believed it was simply to get hostages released, is the government now making ransom payments to countries that actively support terrorist activities against the United States? And we are going to submit to an international court? Giving Iran between $1B and $2B right now - regardless of the reason - is just reckless (at best).

What does "expects more" translate to? Offering Canada and its leader public insults and trade wars?

It's what he expects from Canada. It isn't what he's going to expect from NK (which I think is a dream as well).

nikolai_42

Who? Please don't say Hillary, since you should know by now what really happened.

When the Secretary of State can house highly classified materials on her own private server and think that that's okay, either she is so far below the qualifications of office or she knows there are things that need to be done without oversight. And when the machinery of law enforcement spends a year finding little to nothing on supposed Russian involvement in US elections but doesn't even censure a top government official for doing something that could never be considered acceptable in any context - something is seriously wrong. However it went down, things are rotten in the state of Denmark.

nikolai_42

I will add that when Trump says "trust me" on NK, I'm not filled with a lot of confidence. If I understand correctly, the treaty doesn't detail how compliance will be verified. I don't care who's president, "trust me" isn't good diplomacy.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Don't forget Obama gave Iran at least $400M in cash

Do you know why?

My mistake - it was somewhere between $1B and $2B. And even if I believed it was simply to get hostages released, is the government now making ransom payments to countries that actively support terrorist activities against the United States? And we are going to submit to an international court? Giving Iran between $1B and $2B right now - regardless of the reason - is just reckless (at best).

But do you know why?

It's what he expects from Canada. It isn't what he's going to expect from NK (which I think is a dream as well).

What does he expect from Canada?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

When the Secretary of State can house highly classified materials on her own private server and think that that's okay, either she is so far below the qualifications of office or she knows there are things that need to be done without oversight. And when the machinery of law enforcement spends a year finding little to nothing on supposed Russian involvement in US elections but doesn't even censure a top government official for doing something that could never be considered acceptable in any context - something is seriously wrong. However it went down, things are rotten in the state of Denmark.

Who sold uranium to the Russians?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Actually, it wasn't Obama, it was the coalition that froze Iranian assets and blocked their oil exports until they complied with Obama's demands. After they did, the funds were unfrozen, and they got them back. No one "gave" them anything; they merely returned their property after they agreed to end their nuclear weapons program.

The US only had possession of a portion of the Iranian money. Most of it was elsewhere, and of course was returned to Iran when they complied with Obama's demands, as the coalition agreed to do.

nikolai_42

Who sold uranium to the Russians?

The Clinton Foundation received at least $145M for authorizing a uranium deal. Bill Clinton paid $500,000 for a single speech - by a Russian investment bank with ties to the Kremlin. Clinton approved - as SofS - the purchase of a majority stake in UraniumOne by the Russian nuclear organization. She had the power to unilaterally kill the deal but did not. Saying that it was a low level staffer approving something like that is pawning off responsibility that is hers alone. So when the Clinton foundation profited from this deal, they became involved via the CF and she became involved as a government official. Conflict of interest, at best.

Clinton Foundation Donations and Russian Uranium Takeover

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
I will add that when Trump says "trust me" on NK, I'm not filled with a lot of confidence. If I understand correctly, the treaty doesn't detail how compliance will be verified. I don't care who's president, "trust me" isn't good diplomacy.

It's not a treaty. It is a "deal" based on the word of our Liar in Chief. If Kim is smart he will wait 2 years before he reneges on the "deal". That way the chance of getting his anti-American reelected will be greater, Just wait till Trumpy tries to put a golf course in N Korea.It is all about Mr. Green.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Well its about time we stopped wasting billions of deficit creating dollars on outdated war games.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
The Clinton Foundation received at least $145M for authorizing a uranium deal.

No it didn't, that's right wing conspiracy fever. It's simply untrue that money was in any way payment for a uranium deal.

$31 million of this amount was donated by Frank Giustra in 2005, and another $100 million pledged by him in 2007, the latter amount after he had severed ties with Uranium One. Both cases occurred years before any prospective Uranium One sale to Russian interests was known, and well before anyone knew Hillary Clinton would join the Obama administration in 2009 and might have any role in approving such a deal.

Bill Clinton paid $500,000 for a single speech - by a Russian investment bank with ties to the Kremlin. Clinton approved - as SofS - the purchase of a majority stake in UraniumOne by the Russian nuclear organization. She had the power to unilaterally kill the deal but did not.

Again no. Hillary had no veto power whatsoever.

The author of “Clinton Cash” falsely claimed Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State had “veto power” and “could have stopped” Russia from buying a company with extensive uranium mining operations in the U.S. In fact, only the president has such power.

At the time of the sale, Clinton was a member of the Committee on Foreign Investments in the United States, which is required by law to investigate all U.S. transactions that involve a company owned or controlled by a foreign government. Federal guidelines say any one of nine voting members of the committee can object to such a foreign transaction, but the final decision then rests with the president.

“Only the President has the authority to suspend or prohibit a covered transaction,” the guidelines say.

Saying that it was a low level staffer approving something like that is pawning off responsibility that is hers alone. So when the Clinton foundation profited from this deal, they became involved via the CF and she became involved as a government official. Conflict of interest, at best.

1. Who said it was a low level staffer?
2. Timeline for your scenario doesn't work.
3. Neither does the claim that she could have "unilaterally killed the deal."​

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Trump in his State of the Union address:

"No regime has oppressed its own citizens more totally or brutally than the cruel dictatorship in North Korea."​

Trump in Singapore:

"He loves his people, not that I'm surprised by that, but he loves his people... I think he liked me and I like him... we got along very well. He's smart, loves his people..."​

What Trump wants to say directly to the citizens of North Korea:

[They have] "somebody that has a great feeling for them. He wants to do right by them and we get along really well. We had a great chemistry..."​

https://www.voanews.com/a/trump-to-voa-we-re-going-to-denuke-north-korea-/4435044.html

fool

Hall of Fame
It's not a treaty. It is a "deal" based on the word of our Liar in Chief. If Kim is smart he will wait 2 years before he reneges on the "deal". That way the chance of getting his anti-American reelected will be greater, Just wait till Trumpy tries to put a golf course in N Korea.It is all about Mr. Green.

Trump is going to open the country to commerce and trade. He's going to buy and finish the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryugyong_Hotel which would be the 63rd tallest building when finished. There will be golf courses. There will be resorts on the beautiful beaches. Tourists and business people will need places to stay when they come to do business. If North Korea wasn't difunctional it would be an incredibly hot property. Stuck in between the 2nd and the 12th largest economies in the world and they're 125th. Those are rookie numbers, they gotta pump those numbers up. Trump is going to take a strong position in North Korea and he's going to tear down the DMZ. The economy will quadruple over night and development will flood in. He'll make a bundle renting rooms and selling condos and steaks and wine and golf. Oh yes, there will be golf courses, just ask Scotland.

And here's the kicker, he won't see anything wrong with that. He'll think that's a good thing.
And I do too.

Arthur Brain

Trump is going to open the country to commerce and trade. He's going to buy and finish the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryugyong_Hotel which would be the 63rd tallest building when finished. There will be golf courses. There will be resorts on the beautiful beaches. Tourists and business people will need places to stay when they come to do business. If North Korea wasn't difunctional it would be an incredibly hot property. Stuck in between the 2nd and the 12th largest economies in the world and they're 125th. Those are rookie numbers, they gotta pump those numbers up. Trump is going to take a strong position in North Korea and he's going to tear down the DMZ. The economy will quadruple over night and development will flood in. He'll make a bundle renting rooms and selling condos and steaks and wine and golf. Oh yes, there will be golf courses, just ask Scotland.

And here's the kicker, he won't see anything wrong with that. He'll think that's a good thing.
And I do too.

Of course he wouldn't see anything wrong with it cos he doesn't care about people, including residents he can try to bulldoze out of their homes and even people like you. Time was I thought you were an intelligent, affable guy with a quirky sense of humour and some humanity. Never figured you for being such a clown for Trump and so dismissive of people who've been railroaded by the clown. Live and learn.

fool

Hall of Fame
Well its about time we stopped wasting billions of deficit creating dollars on outdated war games.

We got 30,000 people over there just to make sure the 125th largest economy doesn't attack the 11th largest economy.
"Mister Kim, Tear down this Wall!
Trump is going to reunify Korea.
And the Liberals are going to be pissed.