House Republicans' exodus continues

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Here's a tally of all the members retiring, and why

More than two dozen House Republicans have confirmed they won't be returning to Congress in 2019, well above the average number of House retirements per election cycle.
While it's tempting to blame the polarizing effect of President Donald Trump on the nation, or the infighting that plagues the House Republican caucus, there's more to it than that.
CNBC is tracking House retirements, and updating this story with new information.

House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte of Virginia announced Thursday that he will retire from Congress next year, the latest member to join the more than two dozen Republicans who've confirmed they won't be returning to Congress in 2019.

"With my time as Chairman of the Judiciary Committee ending in December 2018, this is a natural stepping-off point and an opportunity to begin a new chapter of my career and spend more time with my family," Goodlatte said in a statement.

Retirements in Congress, as in any other job, are part of the natural workplace cycle. But given the nature of politics, they're often carefully timed to benefit lawmakers' future careers. This is especially true in the House, where members must win re-election every two years.

According to Roll Call, an average of 22 House members retire every cycle. So far in the 2018 cycle, that number has jumped to 30 — 21 Republicans and nine Democrats, with more retirements expected later this month.

And while it's tempting to blame the polarizing effect of President Donald Trump on the nation, or the infighting that plagues the House Republican caucus, there's more to it than that.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/09/hou...ere-are-all-the-members-retiring-and-why.html