Are you excited about self-driving cars?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
rush hour up here is two semis and an amish buggy at a crossroads :idunno:

dunno when I last sat through more than two cycles of a light

Arthur Brain

No! I enjoy growing them too much. :chew:

Count, these:

xovergrown-lawn-weeds-7.jpg.pagespeed.ic.sDgvHoLoMF.jpg

are not sprouts...

:nono:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
The future is coming! :car:

Just wondering how everyone feels about the recent fleet of self-driving Uber cars in Pittsburgh.

I don't like it. The immediate concern is safety as it will probably be quite some time until I'd be comfortable with it (yes I know there are currently still back-up drivers).
Beyond that, I'm wary of the increase in self-doing things. I don't want to live in a future in which we're drones that let machines do everything for us. :noid:

Hate the idea frankly, I love to drive and I certainly don't want to cede control of a moving vehicle to a computer nor will I willfully.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Soooo...what is your take on these two questions, kmo? Don't be wishy-washy! :p

Being wishy-washy is kinda my thing. :noid:

:think: On insurance, maybe it should depend on how exactly these cars are designed. If the are completely self-driving with no possibility of manual override then it seems difficult to hold the people responsible since they are only passengers. They'd be penalized for simply buying a particular type of car. But if these cars maintain some ability for human intervention then more could be put on them.

On the other, as a rule I think they'd need to be directed off the road and hope there are no pedestrians. But what if there is a cliff. :eek:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I hear ya. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that. :shocked:

After dealing with rush hour again today (that photo I posted really is from the San Diego area and it's like that every day), I was thinking about your comment about public transportation.

People should be spending money on more efficient public transportation to get less cars on the road, not self-driving cars. :plain:

I totally agree with you. It really is a car culture here, but with the right kind of mass transit, change could come, eventually. Our rapid transit system doesn't reach enough of the county to be either an effective or a desirable alternative, and everywhere I drive, they're adding more and more lanes to the freeways. HOV lanes, a lot of them, but still...

I had a chance to use mass transit when I was traveling this summer. It was quite an experience for someone who never uses it, I felt like I was part of the community even though I was only passing through. I don't know, it was just a more connected feeling than the insular experience of driving a car on the freeway. I'm sure there are times I'd be wishing for the car :chuckle: but it was instructive. And rewarding.