Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you excited about self-driving cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ktoyou View Post
    The idea that we would be chauffeured around by robots comes at a time that driver’s ed is struggling. “Profit margins of driving schools have been eroding” over the past five years, according to research firm IBISWorld’s report on training and tutoring courses, although it did not break out exact revenue figures for driver’s education programs, it did note that this is due, in part, to the fact that operators have been raising prices, and in turn, people are shying away from driving instruction courses (in more than a dozen states it’s entirely or mostly optional). Millennials and subsequent generations may be driving this trend in more ways than one. “For the younger generations, the prices are going up so much that they have a hard time paying for them,” Brandon Ruiz, former analyst at IBISWorld says."

So, we have a need for a less costly approach to driving instruction. Then, do we really need to be concerned if cars will drive themselves?

"And Debbie Hersman, the president and chief executive of the National Safety Council, which has offered driver’s ed courses for 50 years, says that it will be decades before the roads are filled only with self-driving cars. People hold onto their cars for an average of 11 years, she says, and currently you can’t even buy a full self-driving car and when you can it may be years before they become affordable for many people.:
    It seems the fist of these will be owned by older drivers, more wealthy, who can afford them, and a long tome off before they become popular.
    I was instructed by my parents. Isn't everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by kmoney View Post
      Me too! Driving is fun, at least sometimes.
      Yeah, it's not always fun. I could do with less of this:

Tried and waited then got tired, that's about it

Comment

Originally posted by The Berean View Post
        kmo, there is a lot of "red tape" that needs to be addressed before true self driving cars are on the road. One major issue is insurance. Who is liable for any accidents a self drivign car gets it.

Another issue is the reliability and "intelligence" of the software. Lets say you are in a self driving car on a two lane road. There is a large flatbed truck carrying large slabs of concrete. You are in the right hand lane. There is a motorcycle to your left and the sidewalk with lots of people to the right. Tghere is a car right behind you. Suddenly, one of the 1/2 ton slabs of concrete falls off the truck towards your car. What does the software do? Does it veer to the left and plow into the motorcyclist? Does it veer to to right and run over pedestrians? Does Does it hit the brake and the car behind you plow into you?

The Self-Driving Dilemma: Should Your Car Kill You To Save Others?
        Two important questions.

Comment

Originally posted by annabenedetti View Post
          Yeah, it's not always fun. I could do with less of this:

I hear ya. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that.

People should be spending money on more efficient public transportation to get less cars on the road, not self-driving cars.

Comment

Learned to drive in a field car at age thirteen. Here us the funny part, did not have a driver's license until I was eighteen. No, I never drove illegally, just did not drive then.

Still have a manual transmission, but it is a worthless spare car because no one else is able to drive it.
            The idea, going to self diving cars seems futuristic, to say the least.
            So, what?

believe it!

Comment

Two important questions.
              Soooo...what is your take on these two questions, kmo? Don't be wishy-washy!
              Last edited by The Berean; September 19th, 2016, 06:58 PM.
              Your problem is not technology. The problem is YOU. You lack the will to change...You treat this planet as you treat each other. - Klaatu

What are you talking about? There is no such thing as the "Mafia"......it doesn't exist. Just a bunch of lies told to defame honest hardworking Italians like myself. - TomO

I will do you, let's see, goofy, wacky, and to the left side of the bell curve
              . -Ktoyou

I'm white. I'm not black. I can't convert to being black. It doesn't matter how much I want to become black. I could listen to rap and date fat white women all day; for all that, I'll still remain white.- Traditio

Comment

rush hour up here is two semis and an amish buggy at a crossroads

dunno when I last sat through more than two cycles of a light

Comment

No! I enjoy growing them too much.
                  Count, these:

are not sprouts...

Well this is fun isn't it?

Comment

The future is coming!

Just wondering how everyone feels about the recent fleet of self-driving Uber cars in Pittsburgh.

I don't like it. The immediate concern is safety as it will probably be quite some time until I'd be comfortable with it (yes I know there are currently still back-up drivers).
                    Beyond that, I'm wary of the increase in self-doing things. I don't want to live in a future in which we're drones that let machines do everything for us.
                    Hate the idea frankly, I love to drive and I certainly don't want to cede control of a moving vehicle to a computer nor will I willfully.
                    The winner of the 2011 Truthsmacker of the Year Award

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums...pictureid=3504

Help Take Back Our Country from Washington D.C.. with the Convention of States

Comment

Auto grocery store checkouts scare me, what would thinking cars do?
                      So, what?

believe it!

Comment

Originally posted by The Berean View Post
                        Soooo...what is your take on these two questions, kmo? Don't be wishy-washy!
                        Being wishy-washy is kinda my thing.

On insurance, maybe it should depend on how exactly these cars are designed. If the are completely self-driving with no possibility of manual override then it seems difficult to hold the people responsible since they are only passengers. They'd be penalized for simply buying a particular type of car. But if these cars maintain some ability for human intervention then more could be put on them.

On the other, as a rule I think they'd need to be directed off the road and hope there are no pedestrians. But what if there is a cliff.

Comment

I hear ya. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that.
                          After dealing with rush hour again today (that photo I posted really is from the San Diego area and it's like that every day), I was thinking about your comment about public transportation.

People should be spending money on more efficient public transportation to get less cars on the road, not self-driving cars.
                          I totally agree with you. It really is a car culture here, but with the right kind of mass transit, change could come, eventually. Our rapid transit system doesn't reach enough of the county to be either an effective or a desirable alternative, and everywhere I drive, they're adding more and more lanes to the freeways. HOV lanes, a lot of them, but still...

I had a chance to use mass transit when I was traveling this summer. It was quite an experience for someone who never uses it, I felt like I was part of the community even though I was only passing through. I don't know, it was just a more connected feeling than the insular experience of driving a car on the freeway. I'm sure there are times I'd be wishing for the car but it was instructive. And rewarding.

Tried and waited then got tired, that's about it

Comment

Working...
                          X