Congress should have more power.. to be "commander in chief"

republicanchick

Commander in chief is too big a job for one man... something we just now have learned

historically, this has not been a problem but now we see that

one man should not be entrusted with the power to... go to war or not go to war...

I feel Congress should be given the title of Commander in Chief... not the president. And this power should be veto-proof if there is a 2/3 majority

The Founders of this country did not, apparently, foresee what is going on 200 years removed...

+

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Commander in chief is too big a job for one man... something we just now have learned

historically, this has not been a problem but now we see that

one man should not be entrusted with the power to... go to war or not go to war...

I feel Congress should be given the title of Commander in Chief... not the president. And this power should be veto-proof if there is a 2/3 majority

The Founders of this country did not, apparently, foresee what is going on 200 years removed...

+
Do you know your recent history? Only congress has the authority to declare war. But congress gave up some of that power to allow a president to wage war without actually declaring a war. Do you know what president congress gave that power too? George W Bush.

republicanchick

Do you know your recent history? Only congress has the authority to declare war. But congress gave up some of that power to allow a president to wage war without actually declaring a war. Do you know what president congress gave that power too? George W Bush.

and they need to take it back, hence my OP

_

republicanchick

there is no emergency that involves war or possible war that can't wait for congress to.. hold an emergency session if necessary... to take a vote on Y or N..

makes no sense for the pres to have that much power... that is tyranny

monarchy

__