The Trap That Ensnared Denny Hastert Could Be Set For Any of Us

GFR7

Interesting analysis from Townhall.com:

I actually have a friend who was entrapped and imprisoned over something far less serious and far more trivial:

Lavrenti Beria, who ran Josef Stalin’s KGB, once commented on the ease with which the feared organization he headed could convict any individual at will: “Show me the man and I’ll find you the crime.” But that was early 20th Century Soviet Union, and this is 21st Century America, you might say; we have all manner of procedural safeguards in place to guard against individuals being charged and convicted of things not truly evil or harmful to others. Ahh, were it so.

Just how easy is it in 21st Century America to run afoul of one or more of the many thousands of federal criminal offenses on the books? Just ask Former Speaker Denny Hastert, now under federal indictment for nothing more egregious or harmful to our nation’s well-being than trying to conceal from prying eyes payments of his own money to another individual, and then not telling the FBI what it wanted him to reveal in order to incriminate himself.

Many of these criminal offenses have been on the books for decades -- some conceived at the same time as our Internal Revenue Code a full century ago; others the offspring of the “War on Drugs” in the late 1960s. However, the zeal with which Uncle Sam’s agents target individuals who seek nothing more than to keep certain personal activities private, has become pronounced in recent years.

We live in a world in which the federal government not only makes it nearly impossible to engage in any private financial transaction, but actually resents the person – to the point of making them a felon -- who dares try to evade revealing to federal regulators and investigators what they are doing with every red cent of their own money.

From the massive, NSA-directed meta-data collection programs revealed two years ago by Edward Snowden, to the FBI’s continuing efforts to outlaw any encryption of electronic data by individuals or companies to which the federal government is not given the keys, America’s landscape is peppered with legal landmines set for people and businesses trying to keep a small part of their world private.

Guilt is now presumed from simply taking steps to avoid government’s prying electronic eyes.

The Hastert indictment is clear evidence of this alarming trend. The former Speaker faces a decade or more in federal prison, but not for allegedly committing any substantive criminal offense. Even if he eventually is acquitted, Hastert’s reputation already is ruined simply because he wanted private transactions to remain private; and because he elected not to incriminate himself when answering questions put to him by FBI agents.

http://townhall.com/columnists/bobb...tm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl&newsletterad=

Granite

Hall of Fame
Well, you know, don't screw your students, don't leave yourself vulnerable to blackmail, and don't be a pontificating self-righteous hypocrite: These are also valuable takeaways.

GFR7

Well, you know, don't screw your students, don't leave yourself vulnerable to blackmail, and don't be a pontificating self-righteous hypocrite: These are also valuable takeaways.
I agree that all things considered, he was not the best person to use as an example. I wish they had opened this debate by using some other person.

I do feel in the past 10 years or so, that people have been imprisoned for things which really do no harm and in which there was no victim.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I agree that what Hastert did--dealing with his own money--should not itself be a crime. At all. (I also think he's a complete idiot for trying to pay off his extortioner in the most obvious way possible, but oh well.)

That said, let's just not put ourselves in such situations...or, hell: If you're gonna pay off a blackmailer, be smarter about it.

GFR7

I agree that what Hastert did--dealing with his own money--should not itself be a crime. At all. (I also think he's a complete idiot for trying to pay off his extortioner in the most obvious way possible, but oh well.)

That said, let's just not put ourselves in such situations...or, hell: If you're gonna pay off a blackmailer, be smarter about it.
Guess so. It would be one thing if he were being charged with a sexual crime. But perhaps paying someone to shut up really should be our personal business. Don't know for sure....... :think:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
I fully realize many posters have chosen to ignore my comments because of my own journey to Christianity which is different than most believers...

BUT...

I sure would like to read the scope of your opinions about this matter.

Something that is being ignored by our media--whether you consider it liberal or conservative.

This link is from a well-known conservative magazine and concerns the experience of Sibel Edmonds, a Turkish translator who had a job after 9/11 to guard against future attacks.

Hastert has engaged in treasonous actions with Turkish officials.

Those who want to learn more should check this article out and also put the name "Sibel Edmonds" into Google:

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/whos-afraid-of-sibel-edmonds/

GFR7

I fully realize many posters have chosen to ignore my comments because of my own journey to Christianity which is different than most believers...

BUT...

I sure would like to read the scope of your opinions about this matter.

Something that is being ignored by our media--whether you consider it liberal or conservative.

This link is from a well-known conservative magazine and concerns the experience of Sibel Edmonds, a Turkish translator who had a job after 9/11 to guard against future attacks.

Hastert has engaged in treasonous actions with Turkish officials.

Those who want to learn more should check this article out and also put the name "Sibel Edmonds" into Google:

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/whos-afraid-of-sibel-edmonds/
:think: