Implications of a verse on judging

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In 1 Samuel 16:7, God told Samuel:
Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.​
What implications does this have for how we are to act? Should men not judge because they can only go by what they physically see?

shagster01

I think you asked the wrong question. If this verse is true, and man looks at the outside rather than the heart, then the question should not be "should men judge or not." The question is, without seeing the heart, is it possible to judge?

I say it isn't. It's only possible to form an opinion.

This does not include matters involving our legal system, which is a court set up to judge physical actions solely, of course.

The Berean

I think you asked the wrong question. If this verse is true, and man looks at the outside rather than the heart, then the question should not be "should men judge or not." The question is, without seeing the heart, is it possible to judge?

I say it isn't. It's only possible to form an opinion.

This does not include matters involving our legal system, which is a court set up to judge physical actions solely, of course.

That's not true. Determining the motive of a person's action is often a key part of any court trial. That's what drives the idea of "hate crimes". If I beat up and steal money from a minority as opposed to beating him up and stealing his money because I hate that minority group is viewed far differently under the law now.

shagster01

That's not true. Determining the motive of a person's action is often a key part of any court trial. That's what drives the idea of "hate crimes". If I beat up and steal money from a minority as opposed to beating him up and stealing his money because I hate that minority group is viewed far differently under the law now.

But if you hate the guy for being a minority and do not assault him it's not a crime. The physical action is absolutely required. Your thoughts are not on trial unless tied to a physical act.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Right ... which is a great example of why I cannot get behind so called "hate crimes". In the example you gave, it is assumed that getting beat up and stolen from is a hate crime because the person is a minority.

My assumption would be the person got beat up because the person wanted to steal money and the victim just happened to be a minority.

shagster01

Right ... which is a great example of why I cannot get behind so called "hate crimes". In the example you gave, it is assumed that getting beat up and stolen from is a hate crime because the person is a minority.

My assumption would be the person got beat up because the person wanted to steal money and the victim just happened to be a minority.

I agree that "hate crimes" should go away as a category. The act is the act regardless of the motive.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
But if you hate the guy for being a minority and do not assault him it's not a crime. The physical action is absolutely required. Your thoughts are not on trial unless tied to a physical act.

Why should *thoughts* be on trial in the first place? A punishment should not depend on the color/gender/race of the victim but rather the act committed.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I agree that "hate crimes" should go away as a category. The act is the act regardless of the motive.

Oh ... alright. Agreed. I hit enter on my last reply to you prior to seeing your posted response.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think you asked the wrong question.
I don't think I did. :)
I say it isn't [possible to judge]. It's only possible to form an opinion.
What functional difference is there between a judgement and an opinion? Say a jury shares an idea; what difference does it make whether we call it a judgement or an opinion?
:thumb:

That men can only judge outward appearances is an important concept; courts should be limited to evidence from what people say and do.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
In 1 Samuel 16:7, God told Samuel:
Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.​
What implications does this have for how we are to act? Should men not judge because they can only go by what they physically see?
Are you referring to John 7:24?