why doesn't the government sell land to poor people?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How are poor people suppose to pay for this land?

who said entitled?

it is not free, like most gov programs.

You say: just b/c they are poor... as if the poor are just totally equal to the rich...

stupid

Still wondering how you believe they can produce enough money to buy it at a reduced price.

Then you have other expenses such as actually building or placing a home on the land (to live in) and paying yearly taxes on the property.

republicanchick

Entitled to dirt cheap (no pun intended) land.

Also, what do you consider poor?

I already mentioned the poorest of the poor: the homeless

I think it is DISGRACEFUL that in t his wealthy country we have ANY people who are homeless

There should ALWAYS be a place where they can have a roof over their heads... nothing fancy, nothing they would get attached to, but a roof over their heads. It is very hard to think about OTHER things, like getting an education, getting a job... when you don't even have the basics.. no place to shower and clean up so that you can apply for a job... that is just inexcusable.

If that makes me sound like a Dem, so be it...

___

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I already mentioned the poorest of the poor: the homeless

I think it is DISGRACEFUL that in t his wealthy country we have ANY people who are homeless

There should ALWAYS be a place where they can have a roof over their heads... nothing fancy, nothing they would get attached to, but a roof over their heads. It is very hard to think about OTHER things, like getting an education, getting a job... when you don't even have the basics.. no place to shower and clean up so that you can apply for a job... that is just inexcusable.

If that makes me sound like a Dem, so be it...

Actually, I agree with you to an extent. I wish to see the homeless receive the help they need to be self sufficient.

However, you still haven't really discussed how a homeless person would find the funds to purchase land and then build on it.

It's not only an expensive endeavor, but there is also a lot of red tape that goes with any type of land ownership and home building ...

rougueone

dumb

all poor people have SOME money

land could be sold for $100 an acre or whatever. Everyone can affor that.. and if they don't have it, a relative or friend would lend it to them.

Why are they poor ?

Let's imagine the Government sells land to the poor. A noble idea.
We can start with 50,000 poor people who pony-up and get an acer each. That's 50,000 acres. In the boonies. Now they need water and utilities. Who pays for each well ? Average cost per water well on a mass production is about 5-6 thousand. Times 50,000. Where does the water and sewage go ? Now they need an entire plumbing infrastructure. Utilities--elec. ,heat, fuel to cook ? now they need Houses and up keep. Plus a viable supply of food nearby. How do the 50,000 people spread over 50,000 acres get food?
Then some will begin to fall off the grid. Drugs, drinking, crime, fights, gangs, ET...

Welcome to public housing. Welcome to Americas future.

zoo22

There are some in the nation who are poor through (almost) no fault of their own. True, in every poverty case, the person who is poor has SOME culpability for being poor, but a lot of the time (and I mean this.. a LOT Of the Time) there are factors (egregious ones) beyond that person's control: extreme depression and hopelessness... mental illness (so called), no family structure, abusive or negligent family "structure"... etc.

And so, there are poor people. Well, maybe if they were allowed to buy land from the gov at very low prices, they could

1. have a reason to live (if they do not already)
  2. be incentivized to do something with what they have
  3. be given some hope of a better future
  4. make use of land that is currently not being used for anything
  5. etc..
++

+

HUD (US Dept of Housing and Urban Development) Dollar Homes:

HUD's Dollar Homes initiative helps local governments to foster housing opportunities for low to moderate income families and address specific community needs by offering them the opportunity to purchase qualified HUD-owned homes for $1 each.

Dollar Homes are single-family homes that are acquired by the Federal Housing Administration (which is part of HUD) as a result of foreclosure actions. Single-family properties are made available through the program whenever FHA is unable to sell the homes for six months.

By selling vacant homes for $1 after six months on the market, HUD makes it possible for communities to fix up the homes and put them to good use at a considerable savings. The newly occupied homes can then act as catalysts for neighborhood revitalization, attracting new residents and businesses to an area.

Local governments can partner with local nonprofit homeownership organizations or tap into existing local programs to resell the homes to low-to-moderate income residents of the community.

Rather than sitting around watching Fox News, maybe put on your shoes, go outside, and after your eyes have adjusted to the daylight, have a look around.

Alate_One

HUD (US Dept of Housing and Urban Development) Dollar Homes:

Rather than sitting around watching Fox News, maybe put on your shoes, go outside, and after your eyes have adjusted to the daylight, have a look around.

Excellent. I wonder about upkeep and renovation for that program since a lot of foreclosed homes are in a state of disrepair. And poor families often have trouble maintaining the homes they own. Maintenance costs can be quite high. See this story about Baltimore.

republicanchick

Why are they poor ?

Let's imagine the Government sells land to the poor. A noble idea.
We can start with 50,000 poor people who pony-up and get an acer each. That's 50,000 acres. In the boonies. Now they need water and utilities. Who pays for each well ? Average cost per water well on a mass production is about 5-6 thousand. Times 50,000. Where does the water and sewage go ? Now they need an entire plumbing infrastructure. Utilities--elec. ,heat, fuel to cook ? now they need Houses and up keep. Plus a viable supply of food nearby. How do the 50,000 people spread over 50,000 acres get food?
Then some will begin to fall off the grid. Drugs, drinking, crime, fights, gangs, ET...

Welcome to public housing. Welcome to Americas future.

They would have a place to be homeless.. where they wouldn't be in your face all the time, people having to walk over them on the sidewalk..

And THEY would have some privacy. They would then HAVE something... that they could begin to improve on..

but of course with negative people like you around... they need this land and privacy more than ever.. to get away from such folks

+

republicanchick

Excellent. I wonder about upkeep and renovation for that program since a lot of foreclosed homes are in a state of disrepair. And poor families often have trouble maintaining the homes they own. Maintenance costs can be quite high. See this story about Baltimore.

I said LAND, not homes

and quit stereotyping poor families, saying they "often have trouble maintaining.."

how classist

yeh, let's get off the racist thing for awhile and look at CLASSism

the poor are scapegoated by society, and persecuted and mistreated... which leads to them having all the more trouble changing their lives.. vicious cycle..

But oh well.. people can always claim that God doesn't care about them either, which makes scapegoating them a-ok (Humans generally believe what they want to believe, whether we speak of their beliefs RE the poor or just whatever)
__

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How will the poor afford to BUY the land?
How will the poor afford to utilize the land?

rougueone

They would have a place to be homeless.. where they wouldn't be in your face all the time, people having to walk over them on the sidewalk..

And THEY would have some privacy. They would then HAVE something... that they could begin to improve on..

but of course with negative people like you around... they need this land and privacy more than ever.. to get away from such folks

+

Not negative. It's reality.
Google : public housing coming to an end

republicanchick

people automatically think that if you are poor, you did something terrible...

you are a drunk or what have you

But remember, there are as many reasons for being downtrodden as there are downtrodden persons.

rexlunae

people automatically think that if you are poor, you did something terrible...

you are a drunk or what have you

But remember, there are as many reasons for being downtrodden as there are downtrodden persons.

You're absolutely right. So, then, why are you a Republican?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
There are some in the nation who are poor through (almost) no fault of their own. True, in every poverty case, the person who is poor has SOME culpability for being poor, but a lot of the time (and I mean this.. a LOT Of the Time) there are factors (egregious ones) beyond that person's control: extreme depression and hopelessness... mental illness (so called), no family structure, abusive or negligent family "structure"... etc.

And so, there are poor people. Well, maybe if they were allowed to buy land from the gov at very low prices, they could

1. have a reason to live (if they do not already)
  2. be incentivized to do something with what they have
  3. be given some hope of a better future
  4. make use of land that is currently not being used for anything
  5. etc..
++

+

Ask American indians how the government doing those things and "taking care of them" on reservations have worked out for them.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
It is very difficult for a person with nothing to get.. something. It is not impossible, but extremely difficult.

an acre of land is NOT a huge entitlement program. And the gov would get money for it, albeit not a huge amount.. the gov doesn't NEED a huge amount.. it has plenty already..

so I guess u would begrudge the homeless anything?

figures

__

Do you even, ever, have a rational thought? How to you sell land to poor people? Where do you find that land for $100/acre? On top of a mountain, in a swamp, a desert? What do the poor people do with that land?

Wait, I've got it. Sell a poor person (even if they are a poor Muslim immigrant?--or do they have to be white Americans? how do you decide if they are appropriate---ah details to be worked out later) an acre in midtown Manhattan for $100. they can turn around and sell it for millions and then---they are not poor anymore. Boy am I sorry I started to criticize your plan. What a wonderful way to end poverty.

But back to my opening question---do you, ever?