Dexamethasone ....... positive results in Covid-19 treatment.

eider

The UK already has 200,000 doses of this steroid drug, and the results have been positive for treatment of worst cases. Please read on:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53061281
Coronavirus: Dexamethasone proves first life-saving drug
BBC·7 hours ago
A cheap and widely available drug can help save the lives of patients seriously ill with coronavirus.
The low-dose steroid treatment dexamethasone is a major breakthrough in the fight against the deadly virus, UK experts say.
The drug is part of the world's biggest trial testing existing treatments to see if they also work for coronavirus.
It cut the risk of death by a third for patients on ventilators. For those on oxygen, it cut deaths by a fifth.
Had the drug had been used to treat patients in the UK from the start of the pandemic, up to 5,000 lives could have been saved, researchers say.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
The study results are preliminary, not yet peer reviewed but appear to involve a group group of 2000 with a 4000 control group. Not sure I'd get too excited until further analysis takes place.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
[h=3]Psychiatric[/h]
A wide range of psychiatric reactions including affective disorders (e.g., irritable, euphoric, depressed, labile mood, and suicidal ideation) psychotic reactions (e.g., mania, delusions, hallucinations, aggravation of schizophrenia), behavioral disturbances, irritability, anxiety, sleep disturbances and cognitive dysfunction (e.g., confusion, amnesia) have been reported. These reactions have been reported in adults and children. In adults, the occurrence of severe reactions has been estimated to be about 5% to 6%.[Ref]

eider

The study results are preliminary, not yet peer reviewed but appear to involve a group group of 2000 with a 4000 control group. Not sure I'd get too excited until further analysis takes place.

It's shown very good results so far. We're going ahead with its use, or so we are told.

Emeth 2.0

Quite a laundry list of contra-indications

Given that it suppresses the immune system it's not surprising that a large number of conditions are contra-indicated.

Some nasty side effects, including psychiatric, and of course, death

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/dexamethasone-side-effects.html

Nasty side effects seem to be the reality of modern medicine don't they? I am often seeing some new drug touted in commercials (a practice I hate) where they rattle of a long list of potential side effects that sound worse than the condition the drug treats. The relevant questions seem to be how likely are the side effects and are they an acceptable price for the benefit the drug provides?

eider

Given that it suppresses the immune system it's not surprising that a large number of conditions are contra-indicated.

Nasty side effects seem to be the reality of modern medicine don't they? I am often seeing some new drug touted in commercials (a practice I hate) where they rattle of a long list of potential side effects that sound worse than the condition the drug treats. The relevant questions seem to be how likely are the side effects and are they an acceptable price for the benefit the drug provides?

Payback. Our medics are calling the potential dangers of any particular medicine or treatment 'payback'. In the case of Dexamethasone the researchers at Oxford found that if we had only given this medication to our worst cases of Covid-19, those on respirators and those on oxygen, that about 5000 of our 40 thousand deaths could have been saved.

It's been sent out to our NHS services 'all-over'. There will be some payback, just as an early vaccine will most probably pay back if it is fielded quickly.

Let's see how this will work out, but our government does and has put much trust in our researchers on this .......

chair

Nasty side effects seem to be the reality of modern medicine don't they?
True. Bear in mind that many of the side effects are very rare, but the drug manufacturer needs to warn of them for legal reasons.

Speaking of which, I had a cortisone injection for tendinitis recently. I was warned that it would hurt for the first two days. The reality was far worse that what I expected.

eider

True. Bear in mind that many of the side effects are very rare, but the drug manufacturer needs to warn of them for legal reasons.

Speaking of which, I had a cortisone injection for tendinitis recently. I was warned that it would hurt for the first two days. The reality was far worse that what I expected.

Ouch! Are you an athlete?
It seems to affect folks who push themselves physically.

Emeth 2.0

Yeah I know when I had to have my lungs scanned for a possible embolism they made me watch a video on how it was almost certainly safe but because of the 0.00001% chance I might die from the injection preceding the scan would I be kind enough to sign the form absolving them of responsibility. It's in part because of how lawsuit happy society has gotten.
I had a supervising nurse (I am a HCA) who moved up here from Texas that he couldn't believe how much less inclined we Canadians are to sue over things and I think we are pretty lawsuit happy so I shudder to think what it must be like in Texas.

Ouch I hope you have recovered okay?!

eider

Yeah I know when I had to have my lungs scanned for a possible embolism they made me watch a video on how it was almost certainly safe but because of the 0.00001% chance I might die from the injection preceding the scan would I be kind enough to sign the form absolving them of responsibility. It's in part because of how lawsuit happy society has gotten.

So your scan was clear? No embolism? All OK?
In 2017 I was put through a full lung cancer investigation, scans, x-rays, biopsies, breath volume tests, lung endoscopies, and at every point our NHS asks the patient to sign, agreeing to each process and accepting that there can be (very rare) problems. When all was found to be clear the whole investigation procedure began again, searching for any circulation/heart issues, with more signatures. It's just normal here.

But such agreements do not protect medical staff from negligence or recklessness.

chair

Ouch! Are you an athlete?
It seems to affect folks who push themselves physically.

I'm not much of an athlete. Do a lot of walking and some hiking. This was in my hand- I'd wake up in the morning and two of my fingers were bent inwards. I could open them (painfully), and they were more or less OK- till the following morning.

eider

I'm not much of an athlete. Do a lot of walking and some hiking. This was in my hand- I'd wake up in the morning and two of my fingers were bent inwards. I could open them (painfully), and they were more or less OK- till the following morning.

What a strange condition. I hope you get it sorted.
I have been a distance walker up until about two months ago, when I discovered to my shock that I could no longer walk further than about 100 yards, right out of the blue. I've been pushing myself hard each day since then and can now walk up a steep hill near here if I take a break half way up. It's getting better, but that came on overnight.

Day by day...... I hive thanks for each day....... :)

chair

What a strange condition. I hope you get it sorted.
I have been a distance walker up until about two months ago, when I discovered to my shock that I could no longer walk further than about 100 yards, right out of the blue. I've been pushing myself hard each day since then and can now walk up a steep hill near here if I take a break half way up. It's getting better, but that came on overnight.

Day by day...... I hive thanks for each day....... :)

I try to hike part of the Israel Trail each year. This year it got messed up- my son was supposed to join me for a couple of days, but then COVID hit- and he had to quarantine two days before we planned to go.we did manage a bit last week, but it's the wrong season now, so it was a half-day walk, about 12 km, mostly on dirt roads and fairly flat. I am quite aware of my age and how precarious health can be. walking is one way to keep my health up.

eider

I try to hike part of the Israel Trail each year. This year it got messed up- my son was supposed to join me for a couple of days, but then COVID hit- and he had to quarantine two days before we planned to go.we did manage a bit last week, but it's the wrong season now, so it was a half-day walk, about 12 km, mostly on dirt roads and fairly flat. I am quite aware of my age and how precarious health can be. walking is one way to keep my health up.

It must be getting very hot by now........ for walking far in Israel.
What is the Israel Trail? In South East England we have a 'Pilgrims Way' which runs all the way through Sussex and Kent to Canterbury Cathedral, which has existed long long before it got its name in Medieval times. Right beside where I live a sea wall with a roadway upon it runs around the coast for 40 miles with hardly any breaks in it....... brilliant for cycling, walking or running. I used to cycle the whole way and then back, but not now. :)
I cycle a few miles each day, or at least I did until this condition hit me, but I'm slowly getting my strength back, walking that horrible hill and cycling round a 5 mile route, each day cutting down the time.

chair

It must be getting very hot by now........ for walking far in Israel.
What is the Israel Trail? In South East England we have a 'Pilgrims Way' which runs all the way through Sussex and Kent to Canterbury Cathedral, which has existed long long before it got its name in Medieval times. Right beside where I live a sea wall with a roadway upon it runs around the coast for 40 miles with hardly any breaks in it....... brilliant for cycling, walking or running. I used to cycle the whole way and then back, but not now. :)
I cycle a few miles each day, or at least I did until this condition hit me, but I'm slowly getting my strength back, walking that horrible hill and cycling round a 5 mile route, each day cutting down the time.

We should start a walking thread in some other part of TOL.

The Israel Trail is a 1,000 km trail running roughly north to south. It is common for people, especially young people (like after army service) to do the whole trail in one go. About 6-8 weeks. Best done in February-March, though some do it in the fall. Others, like myself, do bits and pieces as they can. The most difficult part is in the Negev desert, where even water has to be carefully planned for.

I've walked from Binyamina to Tiberias, and have also done some sections near Jerusalem. Part by myself, but usually with family or friends.

There is also a "Jesus Trail" in the Galilee, about 65 km.

eider

We should start a walking thread in some other part of TOL.

The Israel Trail is a 1,000 km trail running roughly north to south. It is common for people, especially young people (like after army service) to do the whole trail in one go. About 6-8 weeks. Best done in February-March, though some do it in the fall. Others, like myself, do bits and pieces as they can. The most difficult part is in the Negev desert, where even water has to be carefully planned for.

I've walked from Binyamina to Tiberias, and have also done some sections near Jerusalem. Part by myself, but usually with family or friends.

There is also a "Jesus Trail" in the Galilee, about 65 km.

Does the North South Trail run alongside the Jordan? Or through Samaria?

chair

Does the North South Trail run alongside the Jordan? Or through Samaria?

No- it avoids controversial areas. it zigzags through interesting sites. It does hit the edge of Jerusalem, a few blocks from my son's home, which was convenient last year when we did that section.

eider

No- it avoids controversial areas. it zigzags through interesting sites. It does hit the edge of Jerusalem, a few blocks from my son's home, which was convenient last year when we did that section.

Ah..... If I could go for one walk in Israel, it would be along the East bank of the Jordan between Sea of Galilee (Genesarret?) and Jericho, and the areas East of Jordan.
If...............