LA doctor says hydroxychloroquine treatment cures coronavirus in 8 to 12 hours.

eider

Sensible measures and I'm making sure to only pick up stuff I intend to buy anyway. All supermarkets and retailers should employ the same IMO.

I notice that the US CDC advises that retail items are all safe to touch. That surprised me.
Sunday evening.... the throat is still there but I think it is reducing now.

Arthur Brain

I notice that the US CDC advises that retail items are all safe to touch. That surprised me.
Sunday evening.... the throat is still there but I think it is reducing now.

Well, there should be precautions in place to ensure that items are safe to pick up from supermarket shelves but it's hardly a given. I've got a system in place where recently bought canned items go into a separate cupboard and aren't touched after purchasing until at least four days and I'll use the older ones first. Hand washing after buying and all that too. Hardly failsafe but sensible although I'm sure it's "retarded" in some way...;)

Just make sure to keep tabs on it.

:cheers:

eider

Well, there should be precautions in place to ensure that items are safe to pick up from supermarket shelves but it's hardly a given. I've got a system in place where recently bought canned items go into a separate cupboard and aren't touched after purchasing until at least four days and I'll use the older ones first. Hand washing after buying and all that too. Hardly failsafe but sensible although I'm sure it's "retarded" in some way...;)

Just make sure to keep tabs on it.

:cheers:

I bet you're missing pub society. I saw a landlord (on telly) pouring barrel after barrel of beer away...... I cannot see how all pubs can survive this, but then, I also think our high streets will be showing more closed shops than ever before.

I will be in the Sainsburys queue at about 0740 this morning. Health workers can go in from 0730-0800 and then the oldies get from 0800-0900. I time this activity very carefully, because if I get the timing right then the queue will just be stretching in front of the cafeteria wall which is buttressed out at its base, offering seating ....... there's a few of us old geezers who have figured this out and we must look quite a sight, all half sitting against the wall!

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
CBS is reporting:

[h=1]Turkey claims success treating COVID-19 with broad use of drug touted by Trump[/h]
  • April 29, 2020 / 4:27 PM / CBS News
Istanbul — Turkey has the biggest coronavirus outbreak in the Middle East, with more than 117,000 confirmed infections. More than 3,000 people have died. But the government claims to have a lower fatality rate than the global average estimated by the World Health Organization at over 3%.

The Turkish government imposed weekend-only lockdowns and banned only those under the age of 20 and over 65 from leaving their homes during the week, in an effort to limit the economic impact of the pandemic.

Turkey's Ministry of Health says the relatively low death toll is thanks to treatment protocols in the country, which involve two existing drugs — the controversial anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine touted by President Trump, and Japanese antiviral favipiravir. [h=4]"Doctors prescribe hydroxychloroquine to everyone who is tested positive for coronavirus" Dr. Sema Turan, a member of the Turkish government's coronavirus advisory board, told CBS News. Hospitalized patients may be given favipiravir as well if they encounter breathing problems, she said.[/h]
Turan said the combination of drugs appeared to "delay or eliminate the need for intensive care for patients." But it's important to note that Turkey's use of the drug is not a clinically controlled trial; there's no control group of patients not given the medication to compare the results against.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/turkey-coronavirus-hydroxychloroquine-treatment/

ok doser

And the Daily Mail:

[h=2]US doctors claim that Trump's controversial hydroxychloroquine drug DOES help 91% of coronavirus patients and argue we should not wait for 'controlled trials'[/h]
  • The Association of American Physicians and Surgeons wrote a letter to Arizona Governor Doug Ducey urging wider use of hydroxychloroquine to treat covid
  • They claim that data on 2,333 coronavirus patients reveals the drug helped 91% of patients recover

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-patients.html

ok doser

Zinc! :banana:

Hydroxychloroquine Has about 90 Percent Chance of Helping COVID-19 Patients

In a letter to Gov. Doug Ducey of Arizona, the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS) presents a frequently updated table of studies that report results of treating COVID-19 with the anti-malaria drugs chloroquine (CQ) and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ, Plaquenil®).
To date, the total number of reported patients treated with HCQ, with or without zinc and the widely used antibiotic azithromycin, is 2,333, writes AAPS, in observational data from China, France, South Korea, Algeria, and the U.S. Of these, 2,137 or 91.6 percent improved clinically. There were 63 deaths, all but 11 in a single retrospective report from the Veterans Administration where the patients were severely ill.
The antiviral properties of these drugs have been studied since 2003. Particularly when combined with zinc, they hinder viral entry into cells and inhibit replication. They may also prevent overreaction by the immune system, which causes the cytokine storm responsible for much of the damage in severe cases, explains AAPS. HCQ is often very helpful in treating autoimmune diseases such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.
Additional benefits shown in some studies, AAPS states, is to decrease the number of days when a patient is contagious, reduce the need for ventilators, and shorten the time to clinical recovery.
Peer-reviewed studies published from January through April 20, 2020, provide clear and convincing evidence that HCQ may be beneficial in COVID-19, especially when used early, states AAPS. Unfortunately, although it is perfectly legal to prescribe drugs for new indications not on the label, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has recommended that CQ and HCQ should be used for COVID-19 only in hospitalized patients in the setting of a clinical study if available. Most states are making it difficult for physicians to prescribe or pharmacists to dispense these medications.
As the letter to Gov. Ducey notes, “Many nations, including Turkey and India, are protecting medical workers and contacts of infected persons prophylactically. According to worldometers.info, deaths per million persons from COVID-19 as of Apr 27 are 167 in the U.S., 33 in Turkey, and 0.6 in India.”
After Morocco and Algeria began using HCQ, a trend break and sharp reduction in their COVID-19 case fatality rate occurred.
Vaccines and results of randomized double-blind controlled trials of new drugs are at best months away. But patients are dying now, while affordable, long-used drugs would be available except for government restrictions, AAPS states.
The Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS) has represented physicians of all specialties in all states since 1943. The AAPS motto is omnia pro aegroto, meaning everything for the patient.

https://aapsonline.org/hcq-90-percent-chance/

"There were 63 deaths, all but 11 in a single retrospective report from the Veterans Administration where the patients were severely ill."

People are still misrepresenting the VA report as a definitive study (it was neither) that proved Hydroxycholorquine a failure (it did not)

ok doser

Another day, another leak—or so it seems for Gilead Sciences' COVID-19 hopeful remdesivir. This time, the World Health Organization (WHO) accidentally revealed data from a study in China showing that the treatment neither improved patients’ condition nor tamped down on the amount of virus in their blood, the Financial Times reported, calling the trial a “flop.”

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech/remdisivir-flop-china-analysts

That being said, about 25% of patients receiving (remdesivir) have severe side effects, including multiple-organ dysfunction syndrome, septic shock, acute kidney injury and low blood pressure. Another 23% demonstrated evidence of liver damage on lab tests.

https://www.biospace.com/article/da...e-of-remdesivir-for-covid-19-looks-promising/

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
"Worryingly, significant risks are identified for combination users of HCQ+AZM even in the short-term as proposed for COVID19 management, with a 15-20% increased risk of angina/chest pain and heart failure, and a two-fold risk of cardiovascular mortality in the first month of treatment." -- https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/04/16/blogger-extraordinaire-derek-lowe-hydroxychloroquine-clinical-mess-14722

ok doser

[h=1]Coronavirus: Several US hospitals using hydroxychloroquine for treating patients, says report[/h] [h=2]A medical publication reported that hydroxychloroquine (HCQ), the malaria drug, is currently the first-line therapy and Tocilizumab the second-line medication for people hospitalised with polymerase chain reaction-confirmed Covid-19 infection in the Yale New Haven Health System, which operates hospitals across Connecticut.[/h]

Several hospitals in the United States continue to use malaria drug hydroxychloroquine in the treatment of Covid-19 positive patients, a media report said.

Medical publication, MDedge on Friday reported that hydroxychloroquine (HCQ), the malaria drug, is currently the first-line therapy and Tocilizumab the second-line medication for people hospitalised with polymerase chain reaction-confirmed Covid-19 infection in the Yale New Haven Health System, which operates hospitals across Connecticut.

"Hydroxychloroquine is first-line at Yale because in-vitro data shows potent inhibition of the virus and possible clinical benefit, which is about as good as evidence gets at the moment," Indian American cardiologist Nihar Desai told the medical publication.

"It's cheap, it's been used for decades, and people are relatively comfortable with it," he added.

https://www.indiatoday.in/world/sto...t-covid-19-patients-report-1673534-2020-05-02

ok doser

Hydroxychloroquine is the first-line therapy for people hospitalised with confirmed Covid-19 infection in the Yale New Haven Health System, which operates hospitals across Connecticut. Because it works.

Last edited:

Gary K

Banned
"Worryingly, significant risks are identified for combination users of HCQ+AZM even in the short-term as proposed for COVID19 management, with a 15-20% increased risk of angina/chest pain and heart failure, and a two-fold risk of cardiovascular mortality in the first month of treatment." -- https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/04/16/blogger-extraordinaire-derek-lowe-hydroxychloroquine-clinical-mess-14722

You know where the side effects come from? https://www.healthline.com/health/azithromycin-oral-tablet#side-effects

The secret sauce is zinc. It has no, or only very limited side effects, and then only taken in large doses for an extended period of time. A five day regimen of zinc at the dosages recommended is almost guaranteed to be side effect free