Social distancing has always been here, but what we have now is un-Christian

eider

Why don't you just go ahead and attend one of those coronavirus parties and get it over with?

I have mentioned Coronavirus parties to friends here and they stare at me, stupified. Then I explain what I have read and they just shake their heads in wonder.

If Covid-19 is more aggressive in a country then it might be that its citizens have not listened to government advice, not paid attention to explanations and not felt in unity with everybody else. I'm also waiting to see if Black Brits in UK cities have a higher death rate than other races. Somehow I just don't think they will, but we'll see.

Did you hear any more about that giant US aircraft carrier with many coronavirus cases on board? The last we heard was that its captain had been removed from command, then silence. Hey! That's a thought........ if coronavirus parties are such a great idea, (not that you agree that they are) why hasn't every ship in the US Navy held one on board?

Instead of isolation and lockdown these parties could have been held in every office, school, congregation, company, ship, hospital, fire station and group of people all over? But the consequences would surely have been unbelievable mass deaths, mortuary pits like from London to Gravesend. Looking at this proposal for too long could damage the brain. :D

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
I have mentioned Coronavirus parties to friends here and they stare at me, stupified. Then I explain what I have read and they just shake their heads in wonder.

Much of what we see on this forum is well and truly mental. Fortunately, it does not reflect the thinking of the general population.

Did you hear any more about that giant US aircraft carrier with many coronavirus cases on board? The last we heard was that its captain had been removed from command, then silence.

The head of the Navy, who made the call to relieve the captain of his command, caught a lot of flack from multiple directions for his decision in spite of the fact that he enjoyed Trump's support. He has tendered his resignation.

eider

Much of what we see on this forum is well and truly mental. Fortunately, it does not reflect the thinking of the general population.

The head of the Navy, who made the call to relieve the captain of his command, caught a lot of flack from multiple directions for his decision in spite of the fact that he enjoyed Trump's support. He has tendered his resignation.

Large groups of folks who all follow the same religion or culture can often think that the rest of the world is evil, mental, satanic, etc. One member thinks that all Democrats are retards or something like that. But I do accept that many mindsets here are strange to me. :D

We heard this morning that the chief who fired that captain has resigned. He called the captain 'nieve' apparently. A person who rose to skipper the biggest warship on the world...niave'. Amazing.

I notice that the 'this is only a bad cold' crazies are dissipating now.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
One member thinks that all Democrats are retards or something like that.

well, i certainly think that you're a retard, as you can't manage to get that right after multiple tries :chuckle:

and yes, I've made the argument before that to support the positions that Democrats support in America is retarded, to have voted for Obama in 2008 was retarded, to have supported Hillary for President in 2016 was retarded, etc.

but more than that, my main contention is that liberalism is a mental disorder, characterized by the delayed development of the self, in which those afflicted are in a suspended state of childhood, dependent on government to fill the role of mother, to care for their every need, to save them from all worry.

To be blunt, they are, in the very best sense of the word, retarded.

ok doser

We heard this morning ...

heard where?

on the telly?

when are you retards going to understand that the television lies, that it's a tool of control?

that the chief who fired that captain has resigned. He called the captain 'nieve' apparently. A person who rose to skipper the biggest warship on the world...niave'. Amazing.

for those who want the real story and not the lies mixed in with the pap that comes through the telly, look here:https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...hUKEwiO7urGidnoAhVqlXIEHfCTDkAQ4dUDCAg&uact=5

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
One member thinks that all Democrats are retards or something like that. But I do accept that many mindsets here are strange to me. :D

This forum has been slowly dying on the vine for some time due to the fact that most of the better ones have decided to move on. We are now left with posters who refer to those who are saner and more intelligent than they are as "retards," one member who is literally obsessed with homosexuality and nothing else, others who promote the QAnon con, one who advocates "coronavirus parties" for all, etc. It has become a very sad state of affairs here over the past year or so.

Last edited:

eider

This forum has been slowly dying on the vine for some time due to the fact that most of the better ones have decided to move on. We are now left with posters who refer to those who are saner and more intelligent than they are as "retards," one member who is literally obsessed with homosexuality and nothing else, others who promote the QAnon con, one who advocates "coronavirus parties" for all, etc. It has become a very sad state of affairs here over the past year or so.

I have been wondering where some names have got to. I notice that only a handful of names are posting regularly these days.
I visit this forum for various reasons, mostly because I read some quite different kinds of Christian viewpoints here.

I do need to read more about QAnon. I know nothing about it.

ok doser

I have been wondering where some names have got to.

many were permabanned in the transition - Squeaky is the first that comes to mind, there were others

some were given effective permabans, bans for a year, for repeatedly breaking the rules - Traditio comes to mind, PJ as well, barbie

many of the more disruptive, such as annabennedetti, Granite, Zoo are on hiatus - Rusha posts very occasionally and artie more than most wish he did

some passed away - Angel, for example, and AMR

Others just lost interest, I guess

Last edited:

Arthur Brain

Yes .... The film of him clapping last Thursday ..... we thought we looked very poorly then! So to hear that he was taken to IC on Sunday evening was no surprise.
The country has fallen for Boris these recent weeks. His fervour and care.
Everybody wants him back and we'll...don't give a hoot for politics just now.

How are the film's going? I have been recording lots of films and programs on our Humax. It's great to be able to skip past all the ads, or to delete a poor program and try something else.

I have been casting silver and gold items. Gold is so valuable now but since I like rose gold I have been producing a gold-copper alloy for some rings. I have also tried rose silver which looks good as well.

I do value the local exercise allowance and use this to cycle round to see empty streets and shops. No planes going over. No trawlers at sea. The beach is usually bustling and noisy with jet skis roaring about...... all quiet and silent. Amazing

I wouldn't wish a serious illness on anyone so there's no disagreement there.

Not so much films the last coupla days but a series I've been getting into that's set in 70's America and is very crisply written that touches on societal issues and prejudices as much as the premise itself. Deep.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5290382/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

That sounds like some hobby you have! It's kinda weird just how quiet things are for the most part at the minute.

Arthur Brain

Yeah, unfortunately you're right. This forum is a shadow of what it once was and that's with the whole mix of posters from years back from whichever side of the fence.

Arthur Brain

Large groups of folks who all follow the same religion or culture can often think that the rest of the world is evil, mental, satanic, etc. One member thinks that all Democrats are retards or something like that. But I do accept that many mindsets here are strange to me. :D

We heard this morning that the chief who fired that captain has resigned. He called the captain 'nieve' apparently. A person who rose to skipper the biggest warship on the world...niave'. Amazing.

I notice that the 'this is only a bad cold' crazies are dissipating now.

I watched an episode of "Top Gear" earlier today and it was one where the three presenters drive cars in the deep South of America as a challenge with stuff written on the cars like "Nascar Sucks" and "Hillary For President" and wow, did they get some grief including having rocks lobbed at them and the camera crew. Some of the abuse was unhinged as it was really just a joke if they'd have gotten it.

eider

I wouldn't wish a serious illness on anyone so there's no disagreement there.

Not so much films the last coupla days but a series I've been getting into that's set in 70's America and is very crisply written that touches on societal issues and prejudices as much as the premise itself. Deep.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5290382/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

That sounds like some hobby you have! It's kinda weird just how quiet things are for the most part at the minute.

My wife would like the Mindhunter series. We've been watching Boardwalk Empire during the lockdown.
I do like making things and repairing things.
Repairing things............. yesterday I drove to Sainsbury's for the OAP shopping hour and whilst on the way saw a large off-roader parked up with tearful driver standing by. She had a puncture. Many new cars don't have a spare wheel nor even an emergency low-speed wheel. This Dacia Duster didn't either. She had used two tins of puncture repair/inflator with no effect at all, and was very very upset and frightened. I keep a full puncture kit in both our motors and a hydraulic jack. All done in about ten minutes but the OAP queue was so long ...... thank goodness for mobile phones and whatsapp! :D

eider

I watched an episode of "Top Gear" earlier today and it was one where the three presenters drive cars in the deep South of America as a challenge with stuff written on the cars like "Nascar Sucks" and "Hillary For President" and wow, did they get some grief including having rocks lobbed at them and the camera crew. Some of the abuse was unhinged as it was really just a joke if they'd have gotten it.

I remember a top-gear episode like that. One of the three presenters is gay and had a rainbow painted on his motor; when they stopped at a garage for fuel the female manager called her family to come and sort them all out.

My Father loved Texans. Knew a few of them because he worked for Shell. Why?
He was in Burma, both the retreat and the return. During the retreat they were in dreadful trouble and many of his comrades died of wounds, dysentery, malaria and worse. Some Americans were flying unofficial missions, dropping supplies to the fleeing troops, some freefall drops, some by parachute. One pilot used to risk very dangerous landings in the hacked out clearings because he liked to get the wounded out. He carried out a few hair-raising stupefying landings and got back up again with wounded on board. He was the coolest bloke my Dad ever met, smoked cigars and had a Texan drawl........ Dad never knew what happened to him and never saw him after those few meetings. Never forgot.
People like that can make such a difference to a perception for a whole lifetime.

My next door neighbour is a civil engineer working in Houston and he loves it there. But his wife doesn't like many of the wives nor the school and so purchased the place next to ours and lives here now......... I guess we're just of a different culture as well as belief. Nobody around here that I know is the kind of Christian that I debate/discuss with on IT.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
once again, your ignorance of science appears :sigh:
KNIGHT

We can no longer allow folks to follow others around the forum mocking them and disrupting their threads. If you don't like the topic of a thread or do not like the person who started the thread ignore it! Move on to something you are interested in. Please be careful if you are teasing or having fun with another member because if we mistake that for mean-spirited mocking you will get an infraction and possibly a TOL ban.

Please folks... TOL needs to be a place where people feel comfortable making a point or exploring ideas. That's the fun part of a community forum. If they feel like they cannot explore ideas without being mocked they will go elsewhere and TOL will end up being 6 or 8 members preaKNIGHTching to their own choir.

Therefore... infractions will fly fast and furious for those who do not add to the conversation but simply mocking and troll the forum. From here on out folks need to show other members a level of respect when responding to one another. That doesn't mean you can't vehemently disagree but you must do so in a way where you are actually engaging in the debate and not simply trolling.

Arthur Brain

I remember a top-gear episode like that. One of the three presenters is gay and had a rainbow painted on his motor; when they stopped at a garage for fuel the female manager called her family to come and sort them all out.

My Father loved Texans. Knew a few of them because he worked for Shell. Why?
He was in Burma, both the retreat and the return. During the retreat they were in dreadful trouble and many of his comrades died of wounds, dysentery, malaria and worse. Some Americans were flying unofficial missions, dropping supplies to the fleeing troops, some freefall drops, some by parachute. One pilot used to risk very dangerous landings in the hacked out clearings because he liked to get the wounded out. He carried out a few hair-raising stupefying landings and got back up again with wounded on board. He was the coolest bloke my Dad ever met, smoked cigars and had a Texan drawl........ Dad never knew what happened to him and never saw him after those few meetings. Never forgot.
People like that can make such a difference to a perception for a whole lifetime.

My next door neighbour is a civil engineer working in Houston and he loves it there. But his wife doesn't like many of the wives nor the school and so purchased the place next to ours and lives here now......... I guess we're just of a different culture as well as belief. Nobody around here that I know is the kind of Christian that I debate/discuss with on IT.

Ah, none of them are gay in fact but one presenter did have that on his car.

That sounds like an absolute hero your dad knew and utmost respect. I hope he lived a happy life.

There's certainly different cultures even amid any nationality but I reckon the "Bible belt" is something unto itself...

tieman55

Thanks for the reply.
Reference the above, my wife's colleagues sister just died from covid-19. 53yrs old and rushed on to IC where she died alone. That's what coronavirus can do.
It sure ain't flu, the bad strain is a ruthless untreatable killer.
We have not reached our peak yet, and the European graphs don't look like any country here has reached it.
It's anybody's guess but a few weeks looks likely to me.
A lott of single people here live in bedsits and how they are handling isolation is a mystery. But the atmosphere amongst friends and neighbours is very good, on average folks stop moaning and starting uniting when bad stuff happens, and that is exactly what seems to be going down now. :)

Social distancing has turned in to countless stories like the one below, social distancing run amok.

https://kdvr.com/news/man-arrested-...rk-for-allegedly-violating-social-distancing/

eider

Ah, none of them are gay in fact but one presenter did have that on his car.
Surely.......... Not the new series, but the team on the old series.... Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond......... and the guy who presents toy and model railway programs...... isn't he gay? Update! !! My wife has just told me that James May is not gay...... She googled him. That sounds dreadful....!! :D

That sounds like an absolute hero your dad knew and utmost respect. I hope he lived a happy life.
Yep. One person can make those differences, eh? My Father liked Muslims, Hindus and Sikhs as well.. .... they fought with him. He could speak pigeon Urdu and Hindu.... I think it was called Hindustani. He used to represent the Essex Anglicans at the World religion conferences in the 70's and where the delegates would often stand in separate groups eyeing each other if he got involved it wouldn't be long before all the Muslims, Hindus and Sikhs were huddled together discussing how best to cook a goat curry or whatever.
There is no Essex Anglican religion, by the way, as far as I know. My father was a typical Brit Christian who visited churches for funerals and weddings, but the Rabbi Lionel Blue who established these conferences had to give him a religion when asked by some delegates and his wit got the better of him. Dad just loved the nationalities of those that he fought alongside...... and he served in attempts to try and bring them in to talks togetrher, the best that could be hoped for.

There's certainly different cultures even amid any nationality but I reckon the "Bible belt" is something unto itself...
Yeah...... years ago when I joined various Christian and other forums I got some shocks.

eider

Social distancing has turned in to countless stories like the one below, social distancing run amok.

https://kdvr.com/news/man-arrested-...rk-for-allegedly-violating-social-distancing/

No..... that sight is restricted and withheld from Europeans.
Your mention about 'Social distancing run amok' made me laugh out loud. :) Social distancing does not run amok, it just keeps to 2 meters distance from each other and no groups allowed.

Although I didn't see the article which you linked I can tell you that the police have been clearing the beaches (and parks) around Brighton/Sussex because certain idiots have been totally ignoring the temporary laws which forbid meetings of more than two persons (other than households) in public. I do know that in one police situation a dirty pig spat at the police........ that will get him a few weeks in prison, and dead right. We mostly stand together in our support of the NHS...... it is all about the NHS...... if we don't keep the temporary guidelines and laws then the pandemic will spread, and if it spreads then it could over-run the NHS with more than it can handle. This for us is what it's all about.
Every Thursday at 8.00pm BST the whole country comes outside for ten minutes to clap hands for our health carers, supporters, nurses and doctors. That's what we all think of their enormous efforts at this time.
And then some trash gives the police trouble when they try to tell him that he's out of line.

Arthur Brain

Surely.......... Not the new series, but the team on the old series.... Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond......... and the guy who presents toy and model railway programs...... isn't he gay? Update! !! My wife has just told me that James May is not gay...... She googled him. That sounds dreadful....!! :D

The only Top Gear worth watching is with those three...:D

Yep. One person can make those differences, eh? My Father liked Muslims, Hindus and Sikhs as well.. .... they fought with him. He could speak pigeon Urdu and Hindu.... I think it was called Hindustani. He used to represent the Essex Anglicans at the World religion conferences in the 70's and where the delegates would often stand in separate groups eyeing each other if he got involved it wouldn't be long before all the Muslims, Hindus and Sikhs were huddled together discussing how best to cook a goat curry or whatever.
There is no Essex Anglican religion, by the way, as far as I know. My father was a typical Brit Christian who visited churches for funerals and weddings, but the Rabbi Lionel Blue who established these conferences had to give him a religion when asked by some delegates and his wit got the better of him. Dad just loved the nationalities of those that he fought alongside...... and he served in attempts to try and bring them in to talks togetrher, the best that could be hoped for.

Absolutely and your dad sounds quite the man as well. :) Essex Anglican? Sounds okay to me. Sometimes people forget just how many people of different nations fought alongside in war.

Yeah...... years ago when I joined various Christian and other forums I got some shocks.

Well, it was an experience first joining here back in 2006...

In other news the police are apparently considering these measures:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-lockdown-shopping-trolleys-104151118.html

Can't see how this could reasonably be enforced. Thoughts?