COVID-19 Data Tracking

The Berean

Ok, I want to use this thread to track actual data and statistics about the COVID-19 spread. There is a lot of garbage and fear mongering out there especially in my home state of California.

As of today:

UPDATED MARCH 19, 5:56 P.M. PACIFIC

USA
14,354 confirmed
217 deaths
1.51% mortality

California
1,057 confirmed
19 deaths
1.80% mortality

The Berean

USA
Confirmed Cases:19,195
Deaths: 249
1.30% mortality

California
Confirmed Cases: 1,193
Deaths: 23
1.93% mortality

The Berean

Yesterday our clownish governor, Gavin Newson, "predicted that 56% of California residents could likely be infected within eight weeks. What a load of utter BS. That 56% would be 22.15 million people in 56 days. For that to happen 395,581 people would need to be infected EVERY DAY for the next 56 days. As of right now the ENTIRE GLOBAL TOTAL of confirmed cases is just 234,073.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
I have no idea.

Only a small fraction of the population has been tested so far. It is safe to assume that unknown cases of coronavirus are undoubtedly massively larger than known cases. That's sort of the way a highly contagious virus operates, especially in a population that has no immunity to it.

Aimiel

This is simply ridiculous. We need to know more than what is being reported by news agencies that make money selling news. Here's a sobering article from the Remnant, a Catholic news website. Please exercise caution when reading this article, as it may dispel any feelings of panic or fear you've been flirting with.

Excerpt: “I’ve been through MERS, SARS, Ebola, the first Gulf war and the second, and I don’t recall anything like this. There’s unnecessary, exaggerated panic. We have to calm people down…. [E]everybody is whipping everybody else up into panic — the leaders, via the media, and the wider public — who then in turn start to stress out the leaders. We’ve entered some kind of vicious cycle.” - Dr. Jihad Bishara, Israeli virologist

The Berean

Only a small fraction of the population has been tested so far. It is safe to assume that unknown cases of coronavirus are undoubtedly massively larger than known cases. That's sort of the way a highly contagious virus operates, especially in a population that has no immunity to it.

Why do you assume this? How do you know it's "massively larger"? What exactly is "massively? 15% more? 50% more? 200% more? The fact is no one knows.

The Berean

I just told you why: This is a new, highly contagious virus and no one has any immunity to it. Put those two things together and think about it.

Your premise doesn't prove the conclusion deductively. It's simply your opinion. Do you believe that in 55 days 22 million Californians will be infected?

The Berean

You do realize that is a quote from a movie right? And there is no such thing as a "phased plasma rifle in a 40 watt range"

Let me clue you in on something. OK Doser and I are old TOL friends going back well over a decade. We like to joke with each other all the time.