Charles Pierce: So the year of Our Lord 2019 ends in the year of Our Lord 1979...

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
As 2019 Ends, I Have to Wonder Whether Everything I've Learned Is Wrong
Optimism is something we have to work for again.

BY CHARLES P. PIERCE
DEC 31, 2019

So the year of Our Lord 2019 ends in the year of Our Lord 1979. An angry mob invades and occupies an American embassy in the Middle East. Unfortunately, this time around, the President* of the United States is an intellectually cramped know-nothing of a vulgar talking yam. From the Washington Post:

President Trump responded angrily Tuesday to the protesters' actions, charging that Iran was behind a deadly militia attack that led to the airstrikes and blaming Tehran for the embassy siege.

"Iran killed an American contractor, wounding many," Trump tweeted from his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida. "We strongly responded, and always will. Now Iran is orchestrating an attack on the U.S. Embassy in Iraq. They will be held fully responsible. In addition, we expect Iraq to use its forces to protect the Embassy, and so notified!”

“So notified!” With! an! exclamation! point! And issued through El Caudillo del Mar-a-Lago’s official news platform, where it shares space with cat photos and polls for Album of the Year. I’m sure the Iraqi security forces, who apparently jumped into the breach, and who now are caught in a three-sided nutcracker between local public outrage, militia violence, and American whatever-the-hell-we’re-doing, are reassured that they are now So! Notified!

This is the year now in which we decide for the foreseeable future what kind of government we want. But, while we’re making up our woolly minds about it, the world is rolling on. Australia literally is burning down. In Europe, the EU is falling apart and people are slapping on armbands again. The Middle East is what it’s been for 40 years—a hot, angry region in which we truly have no place and no idea what to do there. This is a really bad time for American democracy to be deciding whether it wants to go into the future merely as an extended exercise in performance art.

Optimism is not exactly something that’s just lying around on the floor, waiting to be picked up. It’s something we have to work for again. It’s a heavy lift, but a necessary one. All we have as we enter 2020 is, well, us. In 1979, I was just starting out in this racket and there was so much I didn’t know about anything. As 2019 ends, I have come to wonder if everything I’ve learned is wrong. An open question for the opening of the new year. Comfort and joy to you all from all of us.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Unfortunately, this time around, the President* of the United States is an intellectually cramped know-nothing of a vulgar talking yam...

... who will undoubtedly achieve better results than the hapless peanut farmer who occupied the Oval Office in 1979

skipped most of the rest of your silly waste of bandwidth - a shame your author is so infected with TDS that he's unable to express himself coherently

my hope in the new year is that on November 4, all those outraged by trump will go into a catatonic shock for the next four years of his presidency

and give the rest of us a break from their incessant whining

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
... who will undoubtedly achieve better results than the hapless peanut farmer who occupied the Oval Office in 1979

skipped most of the rest of your silly waste of bandwidth - a shame your author is so infected with TDS that he's unable to express himself coherently

my hope in the new year is that on November 4, all those outraged by trump will go into a catatonic shock for the next four years of his presidency

My, you're a cranky little Boaty McBoatface today. Cheer up! Things will be better for you soon! :)

ok doser

I deleted around 500 bookmarks this morning ....

what-are-the-different-types-of-ocd-2510663_color3-5b3f8fda46e0fb00370d01bf.png

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

ok doser

:rotfl:

Just from today:

You've followed me around all day, you busy little bee, I'm pretty sure every post of mine to you has been a reply to one of yours - in fact, weren't you just complaining about me not answering your posts? You should be overjoyed!

a further demonstration of your OCD really wasn't necessary :)

ok doser

This is the year now in which we decide for the foreseeable future what kind of government we want.

the fool Charles Pierce would do well to learn from a much wiser man:

I highly recommend this to everyone who is actually interested in learning

Last edited:

The Berean

I've always found it odd that Carter was such a poor leader as president. Carter graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy and was a decorated US Navy officer. He worked under Hyman G. Rickover who was legendary for being extremely demanding of his officers. Cater was also a former governor.

ok doser

I've always found it odd that Carter was such a poor leader as president. Carter graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy and was a decorated US Navy officer. He worked under Hyman G. Rickover who was legendary for being extremely demanding of his officers. Cater was also a former governor.

I think he was a victim of the time, a malaise had settled in the country - I was a high school senior when he took office, my memory is that he was unpopular from the start, a stronger Republican candidate might have beat him in 76 - Ford was fatally compromised by the pardon given to Nixon. It took four years of Carter and the emergence of a strong personality in the form of Reagan to bring the country back.

Consider Reagan's 1984 "Morning in America" ad - a message of hope and strength, similar to the message Trump gave us in "Make America Great Again" - contrasted to the message Carter, Obama, Hillary gave us - of a broken, corrupt, racist America, full of deplorables, clinging to their bibles and guns, suffering from a "crisis of confidence"

ok doser

Victor Davis Hansen touches on similar themes in his case for Trump. Worth listening to if you can. I often play this sort of thing while I'm doing yardwork or shoveling snow.