Chicken Little Might Be Wrong?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
"...eventually, it will start cooling again, same as it always has" ...

it would be foolish to think otherwise

which is the purpose of this thread, to point out the foolishness of those (mostly young) people who believe the sky is falling, who believe the world is ending in twelve years, foolish people like AOC who think we should discard the basis upon which modern human civilization rests in order to save human civilization

Sounds like a flip dismissal to me.

interesting

it sounds like a reasonable examination of the facts and data to me

perhaps your hearing is influenced by the fact that you're listening through a filter of alarmist emotion

In the indeterminate meantime do we contribute to the rise, perhaps until we reach a crisis point?

you really should take the time and listen to this guy - he's not a denier, he's easy to listen to (only a very slight accent) and he lays out a logical, thoughtful, reasoned approach to the controversy - I know, that's harder than responding emotionally, but give it a try:

quip

BANNED
Banned
it would be foolish to think otherwise.

Your video expert says otherwise.

interesting

it sounds like a reasonable examination of the facts and data to me.

Four short sentences makes not much for an "examination".

perhaps your hearing is influenced by the fact that you're listening through a filter of alarmist emotion.

I am?
Perhaps your talking through a mouthpiece of anti-alarmist emotion.

you really should take the time and listen to this guy -

I did. To quickly summarize him: GWing is an issue and needs to be addressed.....yet the end of the world in hardly nigh.
I agree.

Do you agree that global warming needs to be addressed?

ok doser

I did. To quickly summarize him: GWing is an issue and needs to be addressed.....

you didn't listen very closely

Global warming is an issue that we should not devote any of our limited resources to at this time

"there is a problem, it's limited but it's not trivial"

ok doser

Focus our limited resources on encouraging the development of technologies - R&D

Pull developing countries out of poverty

End disease

End childhood suffering

I love his analysis of fracking (18:30) - driven by profit, fracking has had the unintended consequence of reducing our carbon footprint more than any intentional effort by any country

ok doser

To return to one of my favorite retards, the braying jackass from the Bronx ....

"Millennials and people, you know, Gen Z and all these folks that will come after us are looking up and we're like: 'The world is gonna end in 12 years if we don't address climate change and your biggest issue is how are we gonna pay for it?'" Ocasio-Cortez told interviewer Tanehisi Coates at an "MLK Now" event in New York.
She continued: "This is our World War II."​

If only AOC had some idea of the position England found itself in in 1941 - in two years, the most powerful nation in the world found itself bankrupt, within inches of being conquered by Germany, England had found itself in a true existential struggle - one only narrowly avoided by the infusion of American money, American supplies, American fighting forces.

One might ponder what magnanimous big brother would pull our fat from the fire if AOC had her way and we bankrupted ourselves in fighting an existential threat that doesn't exist?

quip

BANNED
Banned
you didn't listen very closely

Global warming is an issue that we should not devote any of our limited resources to at this time

"there is a problem, it's limited but it's not trivial"

How then research, development and transition to next-gen technologies (as he proposes) sans current funding efforts?

ok doser

How then research, development and transition to next-gen technologies (as he proposes) sans current funding efforts?

he suggests government funding, but more than that, patent reform to encourage basic R&D which today often doesn't see a payback

I encourage you to listen to the full talk - I often stream this sort of thing through ear buds while I'm outside doing yardwork or other work outside - shoveling snow, raking leaves, working on my car, painting, etc

or in my car if I'm on a long enough trip to make it worth it - i had a half hour commute a few years ago that would have been perfect

chair

To return to one of my favorite retards, the braying jackass from the Bronx ....

"Millennials and people, you know, Gen Z and all these folks that will come after us are looking up and we're like: 'The world is gonna end in 12 years if we don't address climate change and your biggest issue is how are we gonna pay for it?'" Ocasio-Cortez told interviewer Tanehisi Coates at an "MLK Now" event in New York.
She continued: "This is our World War II."​

If only AOC had some idea of the position England found itself in in 1941 - in two years, the most powerful nation in the world found itself bankrupt, within inches of being conquered by Germany, England had found itself in a true existential struggle - one only narrowly avoided by the infusion of American money, American supplies, American fighting forces.

One might ponder what magnanimous big brother would pull our fat from the fire if AOC had her way and we bankrupted ourselves in fighting an existential threat that doesn't exist?

She is definitely extreme and irresponsible. You can find extremists on the edges of all sorts of things. They are convenient when you want to knock an idea down- but it's not really a fair argument.

Environmental concerns are a real concern. But so are many others. And the budget needs to be balanced- people forget that.

ok doser

She is definitely extreme and irresponsible. You can find extremists on the edges of all sorts of things. They are convenient when you want to knock an idea down- but it's not really a fair argument.

Environmental concerns are a real concern. But so are many others. And the budget needs to be balanced- people forget that.

33:20 - 34:50 a discussion of cost/benefit analysis wrt water pollution and air pollution and how it applies to global warming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QyXduteiWE

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
You are confusing completely separate issues:
1) Is the Earth warming? This is a simple question, and science has a simple answer to it. "Yes"
2) Is this warming due to human activity? This is a more complex question.
3) Should we do something about it? Also a complex question, and a political one to boot.

People who are against doing something about this (#3), for some reason insist that #1 isn't a simple question with a simple answer.

I am not confusing anything, I am simply pointing out the fact that there is no definitive answers as to why the Earth is warming however, we know that the earth goes through cycles of warming & cooling. So since you cannot definitively answer #1 & #2, than #3 is completely irrelevant, you cannot do something about a perceived problem that you cannot define in total, and what makes you or any other human being believe that human beings have it within their power to change planetary climate when they cannot even define it now? Talk about hubris...I don't give human beings that much credit, they are not as smart as they think they are.

Last edited:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
The evidence supporting climate change is undeniable. If you are denying it then you've not studied it.

If you are so quick to attribute any climate change event to human beings you haven't studied at all...Oh, I know that rushing to an easy answer is always the "go to" for a lazy student but, difficult multi-variable questions never have easy "go to" answers. Those that have bought into the hysteric lie that global climate change is going to be the end of the world as we know it have not been paying attention for the past 50 years because, not one of their predictions have come to pass, that is what hysteria and, agenda driven junk science will get ya. :plain:

Last edited:

ok doser

...I don't give human beings that much credit, they are not as smart as they think they are.

this is the one that amazes me:

... apocalyptic beliefs (regarding climate change) are common among young people. A recent Scott Rasmussen/HarrisX poll found that 51% of U.S. voters under the age of 35 believe it is “somewhat likely” or “very likely” that the “the earth will become uninhabitable and humanity will be wiped out” in “the next 10–15 years.”

over half of young voters believe the sky is falling :dizzy:

I like to point out occasionally, that half of all US voters under the age of 35 have IQ's less than 100

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
My point is that we can in fact answer #1.

You admitted as much earlier in your post:

Oh you can answer the "If or Is" question but, you, and no other scientist can answer the "why" question with any degree of certainty. If you cannot explain why, then as I said before there is nothing to get worked up about. Just like the dire climate predictions of the past 50+ years, there is nothing human beings can do to change planetary climate, and there is certainly no data that supports that they even can. The hysteria generated around climate change is pure politics, ideology, and agenda, has been for 50+ years.

chair

Oh you can answer the "If or Is" question but, you, and no other scientist can answer the "why" question with any degree of certainty. If you cannot explain why, then as I said before there is nothing to get worked up about. Just like the dire climate predictions of the past 50+ years, there is nothing human beings can do to change planetary climate, and there is certainly no data that supports that they even can. The hysteria generated around climate change is pure politics, ideology, and agenda, has been for 50+ years.

The entire point of my post was to get people here to separate the " "If or Is" question" from the other questions I find all too often that those who reject the "why" and "what to do" parts of this also reject the "If or Is" part - and that is both false and a bad approach to the argument.