Disproportionalities: Whose Fault?

Gary K

Banned
I respect Douglass' viewpoint but I believe it was idealistic i.e. pragmatically unrealistic....the abolitionist knew this.

I respect Douglass because he live by the ruling end of slavery's whip...what he stated was intelligent, bold and strong yet humbled.
You - a white American - have no right to manipulate his legacy and political position as part of a weak justification in promoting social darwinism.

You're pathetic.
So, by agreeing with him I'm manipulating what he said? That, quip, is ridiculous. And, you claim his life was pragmatically impossible? Really? How was his life pragmatically impossible? He lived out his ideas and beliefs. That is impossible to argue with. His own life proves the worth of his ideas. They actually worked. It's the left's ideas that are a proven failure. They haven't lifted the black man out of poverty, increased his standard of living, or created a black community that has succeeded like Douglass did. All you've created is a swamp of government dependency that ignores what really works in favor of some incredibly stupid policies and ideas that manage to completely ignore human nature.

It's you that are manipulating his legacy and political position. You're the one that denies what he said and did. You say it was impossible. Where's your evidence? His life is my evidence. Disprove his life. Give it a really good try. Show just how racist you really are.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I respect Douglass' viewpoint but I believe it was idealistic i.e. pragmatically unrealistic....the abolitionist knew this.

I respect Douglass because he live by the ruling end of slavery's whip...what he stated was intelligent, bold and strong yet humbled.
You - a white American - have no right to manipulate his legacy and political position as part of a weak justification in promoting social darwinism.

You're pathetic.

Douglass's ideas should stand or fall on their own merit, regardless of his past experiences or the color of his skin

to argue otherwise is not only pathetic, but retarded and racist

and there's nothing worse than a retarded racist troll

Gary K

Banned
Douglass's ideas should stand or fall on their own merit, regardless of his past experiences or the color of his skin

to argue otherwise is not only pathetic, but retarded and racist

and there's nothing worse than a retarded racist troll

There is something really curious about trolls like quip. It's as if they don't understand that everyone who reads their posts can see them for who and what they are. They are so unaware of themselves and what they say that they think other people will be too.

The only reason I can think of for that type of behavior is the depth of their indoctrination for that is exactly what indoctrination does to people. It keeps them from actually considering what is said to them. They can't respond to factual evidence because facts have no place in indoctrination. Indoctrination is almost purely emotional in nature. It's pretty sad to see human beings so unable to think for themselves.

ok doser

So you're saying Americans started slavery here. Wrong again. The English started it here.

you're wrong on two counts, unfortunately:

Historically, the enslavement of African people in the United States began in New York as part of the Dutch slave trade. The Dutch West India Company imported 11 African slaves to New Amsterdam in 1626, with the first slave auction being held in New Amsterdam in 1655.

but slavery was a normal part of native american culture long before those evil white men arrived

ok doser

BTW - Frederick Douglass is considered a native son in Rochester, the city I was raised in. My forebears were active in the New York/Massachusetts abolitionist movements, way back into the 18th century, and were living in the Rochester area when Douglass settled there and published The North Star

Gary K

Banned
you're wrong on two counts, unfortunately:

Historically, the enslavement of African people in the United States began in New York as part of the Dutch slave trade. The Dutch West India Company imported 11 African slaves to New Amsterdam in 1626, with the first slave auction being held in New Amsterdam in 1655.

but slavery was a normal part of native american culture long before those evil white men arrived

But that was not a permanent institution there. It went away when the Dutch, as the ruling power in New York, went away for originally New York was a Dutch settlement. The English introduction of slavery in the plantation system is the one that created the lasting roots of slavery in what later became the US. All that the introduction of slaves by the Dutch proves to me is just how widespread slavery was in the world at that time. It was the norm, not the exception. It existed everywhere. I don't think there was a nation at the time in which it wasn't legal.

And yes, it's true that the American Indian tribes kept slaves although most of them were from enemy tribes. A couple of tribes that lived in the south even kept black slaves until the end of the Civil War.

Gary K

Banned
BTW - Frederick Douglass is considered a native son in Rochester, the city I was raised in. My forebears were active in the New York/Massachusetts abolitionist movements, way back into the 18th century, and were living in the Rochester area when Douglass settled there and published The North Star

I think you mean the 1800s, not the 18 century. There was no abolitionist movement in the 1700s, which was the 18th century. The 1800s were the 19th century just like our current year, 2019 is in the 21st century.

It's easy to get confused on that. I've done it a lot. Just remember that the 1st century AD was the years 0 AD through 99 AD. The 2nd century was years 100 to 199. The century designation therefore is always a step ahead of the actual numerical numbers.

Hope that makes sense anyway.

ok doser

... You - a white American - have no right to blablablablablablabla ....

worth revisiting this - quip assumes ffreeloader's ethnicity, and then assumes he knows all he needs to know about him - because all white americans have the same experiences, the same backgrounds, the same attitudes, all because of the color of their skin

You're pathetic.

and you're racist

ok doser

I think you mean the 1800s, not the 18 century. There was no abolitionist movement in the 1700s ...

actually, there was - New York state voted in 1799 to abolish slavery, phased in over several years

Massachusetts voted to abolish slavery in 1783

ok doser

All that the introduction of slaves by the Dutch proves to me is just how widespread slavery was in the world at that time. It was the norm, not the exception. It existed everywhere. I don't think there was a nation at the time in which it wasn't legal.

yep

Gary K

Banned
actually, there was - New York state voted in 1799 to abolish slavery, phased in over several years

Massachusetts voted to abolish slavery in 1783

Now that I didn't know. Thanks for posting it.

It just goes to show how much support that blacks had in the white community, and how large a percentage of white Americans opposed slavery. Those who despised slavery were the majority in the north. They were a small minority in the south. The south was dominated by Democrats and it was the northern Democrats who were agitating for expanding slavery into the north. They were THE political force behind the slavery issue.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That is something that Dems of today try to bury. Slavery was something that the Democratic party supported. Not the Republicans. Lincoln was a Republican.