A discussion on homeschooling

Highline

erinmarie said:
I wasn't picking on pre-schooling in general. There are people (single mothers, fathers, women and men with disabled spouses) who need to use daycare/preschools out of neccesity. I just think that it's wrong to send your children away from your home under the pretense that you can't have them around you all day long. Or because you're not a 'kid person'.

I think you are misunderstanding me a little bit. I know we can have them around all day, but I think they have a better experience being away some of the time. Their teachers are great (and more church-going than we are for what its worth), and when they get back we are better parents for having had the break (and the chance to work and interact with adults). When I say we are not kid people, I am just acknowledging that people are different - they parent in different ways. Some are all about their kids, including talking about nothing else, others are not. Many of my freinds would say I'm crazy if I say I am not a "kid person," it is not easy to catch me at the pub or skiing these days. I would lay on train tracks for my kids.

Children learn from multiple influences. I'm sure you're parenting is great, and I know stay at home moms and homeschoolers get out and socialize with others, but I come back to my comment about your example of missing your daughter make it through the night dry for the fist time because she was at Grandma's. Who is not to say that it was not something they did or said that made this happen? It may be that being around a different person made the difference. Obviously it would have eventually happened anyway, but it might have been a few more months.

Granite

Hall of Fame
erinmarie said:
I wasn't picking on pre-schooling in general. There are people (single mothers, fathers, women and men with disabled spouses) who need to use daycare/preschools out of neccesity. I just think that it's wrong to send your children away from your home under the pretense that you can't have them around you all day long. Or because you're not a 'kid person'.
And I was pointing out to highline that perhaps he needs to rethink the parenting angle, cause if he and his wife can't handle their kids at home, they might be doing something wrong.

When I was brought your upbringing into the conversation it was mainly to point out that your mother stayed at home, was attentive and taught you in your home, and that it obviously made some impact on you, I wasn't delving into the finer details of your parents parenting technique. So why do you always argue with me!? Just say, yes erin, I think that my mom did the right thing staying at home with us and was very attentive.

It's wrong to send your children to pre-school for some parents. What works in one family might be disaster in another. And yes, my mom stayed home, and yes, she was attentive. She did the right thing for us, but it might be the wrong thing for somebody else.

Highline

Granite said:
It's wrong to send your children to pre-school for some parents. What works in one family might be disaster in another. And yes, my mom stayed home, and yes, she was attentive. She did the right thing for us, but it might be the wrong thing for somebody else.

My mother worked part time at stuff that interested her. I blame her for all my problems. :cool:

Has anyone seen the movie Parenthood? I love that movie.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Highline said:
My mother worked part time in a few different jobs. I blame her for all my problems. :cool:

Has anyone seen the movie Parenthood? I love that movie.

I had a Jewish mother. Fill in the blanks.:shocked:

I mean, I love her, and she's a saint, but...but jeez, ma, no. I'm really not hungry. I'm good. Thanks. Yes, I know I'm smart. I know I'm a catch.:devil: