How to be creative in homeschooling while having so much other stuff on your plate.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This is a brilliant idea that this novelist came up with to incorporate her busy schedule into something she loves to do....write. She used her sons brilliant imaginations to help her keep up being a novelist. This is a must read for all of you homeschoolers out there.

"Writing can be one of the loneliest professions.
The idea passed around so many conferences and came from so many experts, that I started to believe it.

I assumed I had to be doing something wrong. I write in the middle of chaos on good days. On the bad days, I squeeze out words while fighting back the storms.

I am a full-time writer, radio talk show host, home school mom, and active social media stalker. I have a lot of plates in the air that take me to events, throw me in the middle of lunches, and basically provide little time alone.
Kathryn Lang is a writer, radio host and speaker. She's also a 10 Minute Novelist. Click her image to go to her website!Kathryn Lang is a writer, radio host and speaker. She’s also a 10 Minute Novelist. Click her image to go to her website!

I tried the isolation path. I sat in my writing room and pounded out words. I had to put on my headphones because the boys kept pounding on the door demanding I grade their school work so they could go play video games.

I tried the “office away from home” path. I sat up a temporary office in a space where I knew nobody could find me and my phone rang off the hook the whole time I was away.
The last time I heard the proclamation, I just smiled. “Writing can be one of the loneliest professions.”
Yeah, as long as you are not trying to juggle a zillion other things at the same time. I kept my thought to myself, but it made it easier for me to face down my circumstances when I got home.

I decided to embrace the chaos. My sons have INSANE creative natures, and I mean insane in a good way. I began to play off their ideas and even their dialogue when I would write. I took the concept to the next level when I let them actively participate in the process of creating “Mystery Rock.”

Screen Shot 2014-12-27 at 10.46.33 AM

Mystery Rock follows the adventures of three brothers, who happened to be home schooled, and who are actively involved in scouting – gee, I wonder where I got THAT idea. The whole family helped come up with ideas for how the boys could solve the problems that they faced. The whole family actively planned the trip down to the Gulf Coast of Alabama to scout out the locations we were including in the book. The whole family designed the stamp we used in the letterboxes that coordinate with the story we crafted. And the whole family worked together to plant the letterboxes and to write the clues that lead to the letterboxes.

Forget what the experts tell you – or at least do not let the experts dictate your path. Your writing journey is your own. For me, it will never be one of isolation. As I write this, I am helping my oldest with a project and listening to the sick dog help next to me. Chaos is my muse – I must embrace it or never forge the path that will lead to my success.
Listen to others and then determine to find your own way!

http://www.10minutenovelists.com/top10tuesday-top-ten-emergency-prompts-for-nanowrimo/

Mystery Rock launches on November 22, 2014. Visit www.KathrynLang.com/books-mystery-rock to purchase your copy today.

Contact Kathryn for interviews or guest blogs regarding Mystery Rock, tourism literature, family projects, and letterboxing at KathrynLang@KathrynLang.com

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"Writing can be one of the loneliest professions.
The idea passed around so many conferences and came from so many experts, that I started to believe it.

I can relate to that. It can be lonely.

Forget what the experts tell you – or at least do not let the experts dictate your path. Your writing journey is your own. For me, it will never be one of isolation. As I write this, I am helping my oldest with a project and listening to the sick dog help next to me. Chaos is my muse – I must embrace it or never forge the path that will lead to my success.
Listen to others and then determine to find your own way!

As an aspiring author, I have to say that I agree with her. While I was still homeschooling my daughter (she's been done for 8 years now), we had fun writing together. Now, as a twenty-five year old, she still writes. I still write. But, it's more of a hobby than a career for me. I don't know if I'll ever see my dream of writing a great novel will come true. But, I'm not going to let myself get upset if it doesn't happen.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I can relate to that. It can be lonely.

As an aspiring author, I have to say that I agree with her. While I was still homeschooling my daughter (she's been done for 8 years now), we had fun writing together. Now, as a twenty-five year old, she still writes. I still write. But, it's more of a hobby than a career for me. I don't know if I'll ever see my dream of writing a great novel will come true. But, I'm not going to let myself get upset if it doesn't happen.

Wow, Ebenz, it doesn't seem possible that Jessica is actually that old now. :crazy: