Clear All

• Stripe
    replied

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• JudgeRightly
    replied
    Originally posted by User Name View Post
    Do your parents know that you kids are playing on the internet?
    Do yours?

Leave a comment:

• User Name
    replied
    Originally posted by Clete View Post
    If you have an argument to make then make it. No one is interested in watching someone else make your arguments for you.
    Originally posted by Stripe View Post
    That's the most sense you've ever made.
    Do your parents know that you kids are playing on the internet?

Leave a comment:

• Stripe
    replied
    yu D34tE pRFw
    That's the most sense you've ever made.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Clete
    replied
    =
    If you have an argument to make then make it. No one is interested in watching someone else make your arguments for you.

Leave a comment:

• User Name
    replied
    =

Leave a comment:

• Clete
    replied
    I love the one entitled "Relativity: How people get time dilation wrong", which is all about how we haven't gotten wrong at all!

Motion effects clocks!

Leave a comment:

• User Name
    replied
    =

=

=

Leave a comment:

• Nihilo
    replied
    Originally posted by gcthomas View Post
    QED is a component part of the Standard Model, along with the theories of the other fundamental forces and particles, excluding gravity. So the Standard Model IS quantum physics in is entirety, while QED just deals with electromagnetic interactions.
    Is quantum physics in its entirety the Standard Model, or is the Standard Model quantum physics in its entirety, plus something else? IOW, is the Standard Model equal to quantum physics in its entirety, or does the Standard Model just consist of quantum physics in its entirety, plus something else?

Leave a comment:

• gcthomas
    replied
    Originally posted by Nihilo View Post
    What is the relationship between QED and the standard model? Are they one in the same?

Thanks!
    QED is a component part of the Standard Model, along with the theories of the other fundamental forces and particles, excluding gravity. So the Standard Model IS quantum physics in is entirety, while QED just deals with electromagnetic interactions.

Leave a comment:

• Nihilo
    replied
    Originally posted by gcthomas View Post
    It is true the the quantum mechanics of the 1920s doesn't predict the colour of gold without the addition of elements of Special Relativity, but that isn't the whole story. (Incidentally, silver has similar effects to gold, afaik, hence its colour that is more yellow than aluminium. Also, relativity accounts for the first 10 volts of 12 volt lead-acid car batteries. )

Chemists cannot use the full Schrödinger Equations to solve their atom behaviours, becaues they involve the interactions of more than a few particles. To derive anything useful quantum chemistry is a semi-empirical field. This means that they use the depricated, very early and semi-classical quantum mechanics of de Broglie and bolt on discrete parts of other theories (in this case, Special Relativity) as they see fit and as far as it gives results consistent with observations.

Quantum Electrodynamics (QED) is the distant successor to early quantum mechanics (along with the other quantum field theories) and it isn't quantum mechanics with a relativity bolt-on correction, but is relativistic in its nature. It fully incorporates the earlier theories from a century ago, and is bigger and better than both. QED is the most tested and most precisely accurate theortical model that humanity has ever produced *it really doesn't stand in second place to any other theoretical construction. (Special Relativity is an incomplete theory that was developed a decade later with the more general General Relativity).

Chemists are restricted in their use of QED due to complexity, in the same way that aerodynamicists are restricted in their use of the full Navier-Stokes fluid mechanics equations: they are fiendishly complex to handle mathematically for any other than the most simple problems.

Cheers Nihilo!
    What is the relationship between QED and the standard model? Are they one in the same?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Tambora
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JudgeRightly
    replied
    Originally posted by Stripe View Post
    Dunno. I got four squares on my phone.
    They're cricket emojis

Leave a comment:

• Stripe