Atheist Michael Newdow Debates Christian Bob Enyart

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I cannot stand it when people will not allow the host to talk, debating the point he "thinks" is being made. Annoying!

What Bob's opponent can't seem to understand is that "no religion" is atheism, by definition. What the caller was advocating was governmental atheism. The establishment clause has nothing to do with cleansing the government from any mention of God and thereby turning it into a defacto atheistic government. It has to do with not allowing any sort of religious test in regards to one's standing before the law and nothing else more than that.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I cannot stand it when people will not allow the host to talk, debating the point he "thinks" is being made. Annoying!

What Bob's opponent can't seem to understand is that "no religion" is atheism, by definition. What the caller was advocating was governmental atheism. The establishment clause has nothing to do with cleansing the government from any mention of God and thereby turning it into a defacto atheistic government. It has to do with not allowing any sort of religious test in regards to one's standing before the law and nothing else more than that.
Exactly. Michael Newdow was advocating the religion of atheism as the official state religion.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Exactly. Michael Newdow was advocating the religion of atheism as the official state religion.
A point I kept wanting Bob to make!

Monday morning quarterbacking is easy, though! The fact is that Michael knew his stuff and was debating well and Bob did way better than I would have done on the fly like that. I just wish Michael had taken a chill pill and slowed down enough to allow Bob to make his points. This, "I know where you're going with this..." crap is for the birds! It never occurred to him to think that there are people listening to the broadcast that don't have any idea where he's going and would like to hear what he's saying. If the guy wants to make a 20-minute speech about the virtues of governmental atheism then he should get his own radio show.

I've always found it funny that people get noticeably irritated at Bob when he puts them on hold because they keep talking over him as though having consequences for one's rudeness is a completely new experience for them.

Clete