God's Criminal Justice System...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by 2MuchCoffeeMan
Hey, wait a minute. I thought you were an athiest....:confused:
Well, I've got to keep my vile and eeeevil henchmen entertained; wild-eyed, black-clad cultists make wonderful cannon-fodder!

And I make priestly robes look good...kinda like Darth Maul...:cool:

Gotcha.
:D :chuckle:

2MuchCoffeeMan

Originally posted by Gerald
Because "power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." The monarch has absolute temporal power. You do the math...

So, what is your opinion of a constitutional republic with ACM's biblical justice system? (I have to admit, I'm not entirely convinced on the monarchy issue.)

Well, I've got to keep my vile and eeeevil henchmen entertained; wild-eyed, black-clad cultists make wonderful cannon-fodder!

And I make priestly robes look good...kinda like Darth Maul...:cool:

Gotcha.
:D :chuckle:

Riiiight.:noid:

Gerald

Resident Fiend
So, what is your opinion of a constitutional republic with ACM's biblical justice system? (I have to admit, I'm not entirely convinced on the monarchy issue.)
I honestly do not see how such a system could sustain itself without an autocrat calling the shots. And I am dead-set against autocracy...unless of course I get to be the autocrat...;)

I mean, the first monarch is supposed to be chosen by a lottery; do you really believe that such a thing would not be manipulated by those who would benefit from it most?

I mean, what if an atheist (who had previously lied about being a Christian) won the lottery? Your team would be screwed (unless of course said monarch met with an unfortunate accident...).

2MuchCoffeeMan

I honestly do not see how such a system could sustain itself without an autocrat calling the shots. And I am dead-set against autocracy...unless of course I get to be the autocrat...;)
[/i]...).
Wait...you mean a constitutional republic or a constitutional republic with a biblical justice system?

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Wait...you mean a constitutional republic or a constitutional republic with a biblical justice system?
I am convinced that the terms "constitutional republic" and "biblical justice system" are mutally exclusive.

If I lived in such a society it would be only a matter of time before I got the beat-down from the local Judge for "causing the brethren to stumble" with my "evangelical atheism"...

2MuchCoffeeMan

I am convinced that the terms "constitutional republic" and "biblical justice system" are mutally exclusive.

If I lived in such a society it would be only a matter of time before I got the beat-down from the local Judge for "causing the brethren to stumble" with my "evangelical atheism"...

I think you're assuming that any political system based on christian principles is automatically some kind of Taliban-like theocratic tyranny. The United States was, once upon a time, just such a christian republic and I'm not aware of anyone ever getting the beat-down for "causing the brethren to stumble" or some such. In fact, the legal system of the times wasn't all that different from the one Enyart proposes for the ACM, minus of course the system of judges, which itself almost require a monarchy.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
I think you're assuming that any political system based on christian principles is automatically some kind of Taliban-like theocratic tyranny.
Nope, just Enyart's, along with folks like R. J. Rushdoony and Gary North. And in Enyart's novel about the ACM's foundation, he is extremely coy about how the Monarchy comes to power...

Those who most seek to rule should be trusted the least...

2MuchCoffeeMan

Nope, just Enyart's, along with folks like R. J. Rushdoony and Gary North. And in Enyart's novel about the ACM's foundation, he is extremely coy about how the Monarchy comes to power...

Those who most seek to rule should be trusted the least...

Okay, let's differentiate between the justice system (biblical laws) and the political system (monarchy).
Now, would you agree that a biblical justice system in effect in this nation, right now, today, wouldn't make this nation any more or less a fanatical theocratic tyranny that puts to "beat-down" on folks like you for "causing the brethren to stumble"?

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Okay, let's differentiate between the justice system (biblical laws and the system of judges) and the political system (monarchy).
Now, would you agree that a biblical justice system in effect in this nation, right now, today, wouldn't make this nation any more or less a fanatical theocratic tyranny that puts to "beat-down" on folks like you for "causing the brethren to stumble"?
That I don't know. But what I do know is that many of the OT laws have to do with private behaviors, and would be extremely difficult to enforce in the real world.

The only way of effective enforcement that I can see is to offer large incentives for snitching...and believe you me, if I lived in such a society and caught somebody snooping around my house, I'd beat him bloody and tell him to go tell the Judge who did it...

LightSon

.. if I lived in such a society and caught somebody snooping around my house, I'd beat him bloody and tell him to go tell the Judge who did it...

Or on the creative side, you might invite him in for some kitten, sautéed with some onion and arsenic.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by LightSon
Or on the creative side, you might invite him in for some kitten, sautéed with some onion and arsenic.
:think:
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that.

Of course, one can't forget the fava beans, and perhaps a nice Chianti...:chew:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: God's Criminal Justice System...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: God's Criminal Justice System...

It's the death penalty crimes, actually. Can't say I have the slightest problems with any restitution or corporeal punishment crimes at all.

Originally posted by Freak
Yep. I'm with you.

Originally posted by Turbo
In the past you have spoken out against corporal punishment. Have you had a change of heart, or did you misread 2muchcoffeeman's post?

I have always supported corporal punishment. Stop bearing false witness.

Including flogging?

Apparently you haven't read this thread throughly. Am I surprised, nah.

Here are some of your statement that led me to believe you opposed flogging:

Think about the state's competence to punish justly. The government is incapable. Poly, your trust is in a government that is evil. There are no objective standards for measuring the amount of pain that will match the offense.

Was this a problem for Israel? Were they wrong to flog criminals?

(Freak replied: We are not Israel and we do not live under a theocratic system of government.)

God gave man guidelines, but did not spell out every little detail. God gave judges the authority to judge:

Deuteronomy 25
1 "If there is a dispute between men, and they come to court, that the judges may judge them, and they justify the righteous and condemn the wicked, 2then it shall be, if the wicked man deserves to be beaten, that the judge will cause him to lie down and be beaten in his presence, according to his guilt, with a certain number of blows. 3Forty blows he may give him and no more, lest he should exceed this and beat him with many blows above these, and your brother be humiliated in your sight.

Freak replied: It's your understanding of these guidelines that I'm faulting.

Do you oppose God’s will that criminals be flogged, just because He has not exhaustively spelled out exactly how many blows is appropriate for every conceivable crime?

Freak replied: Again I'm questioning your understanding of God's will. It is clear you are in the dark. But there is hope.
It sure sounded like you opposed the use of flogging today because our government is not a theocracy and our governing officials are evil and incapable of administering corporal punishment justly.

If that is not your stance today, if you now support the idea of our government administering corporal punishment, then I'd be thrilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.