Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Best quote of the show:
Let's say you made $40,000 per year. If the government taxed us at a reasonably just rate, then you could double your income. You'd be making $80,000 a year over night. If only the government did what was right. And then guess what? The prices of the goods and services you bought would go down. Things would be cheaper. Your income would double and the things you purchased would be cheaper. Now wouldn't that be a step in the right direction to alleviate the difficulties and the poverty in this country? You bet it would be a step in the right direction. But then, the democrats woudn't get your vote.

billwald

Conservatives and Libertarians seem to think that tax money simply disappears. They forget that the govt delivers various services and products in exchange for taxes. Some govt services would be more efficient if privatized, but probably not 50% more efficient.

Some services we don't want privatized, such as the armed forces.

billwald

To answer the question, money is a means of keeping score in the game of life. I propose that all money be eliminated and replaced by "man-hours." One MH would be the economic value of one healthy man digging with one shovel for one hour. People would be paid in multiples of the MH and prices would be initially set so that a person could have the most basic food, clothing, and shelter for 40 MH/week. The score would be kept electronically. Maybe with a chip implant.

billwald

>But then, the democrats woudn't get your vote.

A large majority like the system exactly the way it is. Half the US economy is sub rosa and that is the way people like it. Half the people I know work "under the table." For example, the largest cash crop in BC, Washington, Oregon, and northern Cal is marijuana.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by billwald
I propose that all money be eliminated and replaced by "man-hours." One MH would be the economic value of one healthy man digging with one shovel for one hour.
You actually think 1 hour of a surgeon's time is equal in value to 1 hour of a ditch diggers time? That surgeon had to study in medical school until he was 30 years old. In other words, he was 30 before he was allowed to make his first penny in his chosen career.

Your proposed system is based on rewarding the sin of envy.

Em7add11

Official TOL band member
Except your MH idea ignores the whole effort/reward system that encourages people to work harder or innovate. What reason would a man have to break his back developing something groundbreaking if he knew he got the same amount for his effort as the guy who empties the trash outside your house?

chance

BANNED
Banned
MH system seriously flawed

MH system seriously flawed

The MH system would also seriously undercut the good network marketing companies out there. How would you quantify the equivalent of working an hour with a shovel to the success your downline has as a result of your training and coaching them?

I love the commission plan my company has. The more successful I help more people to become the more successful I become. And its rewarding my consistent effort and persistence which seems to be in short supply these days. That's far superior then some stagnate paycheck or salary. But then, I am self-employed, and a MH seems to run on the idear of working as someone who is employed by a company or business. Thank God I am unemployable! :)

Quinn Olinger
www.nsdteam.com/chance
quinnolinger@mchsi.com

Status
Not open for further replies.