Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
131,245 Personhood Signatures Submitted

This is the show from Tuesday May 13th, 2008.

BEST QUOTE OF THE SHOW:
[The media is] going to ask Christians and your neighbors and your coworkers, "Well, how about birth control pills? Won't this Personhood Amendment ban birth control?" And what's so fascinating - and Christy Burton said it today in the media - she said, "Well, which is it? Have they been lying to you for 40 years or are they lying now? Because the abortion industry has been lying for 40 years or they're lying now. They've told women that The Pill is not a chemical abortion, that you're not aborting a little child. So have they been lying for 40 years or are they lying now? Which is it?"

SUMMARY:

* 76,000 Required Surpassed by 55,000: It's historic! For the first time in any state, in forty years, Kristi Burton of Colorado for Equal Rights delivered dozens of boxes of notarized signatures to the Colorado Secretary of State to get on the statewide November ballot to protect unborn children! A dozen reporters attending including from Denver's TV stations 4, 7, 9 and 31, and print journalists from the Colorado Statesman, Associated Press, Denver Post, and the Rocky Mountain News.

* Colorado Officials Present: included Scott Renfro, Kevin Lundberg, Kent Lambert and Dave Schultheis, and Ted Harvey circulated a petition himself and turned in dozens of signatures! A number of Planned Parenthood staffers came to the event and clapped with the crowd in hopes of blending in, and when two more showed up a bit late, Bob Enyart said to them, "the Planned Parenthood section is in the back, on the left." Pro-life heroes like Audrey Dobson, Andrea Jaracz, Annie Gillespie, Lolita Hanks, Susan Sutherland, Jennifer Mason, Deborah Burton, Leslie Hanks, and so many more were there to celebrate and commit themselves to educating people about the truth! Mark Hotaling of the Christian Coalition of Colorado, a great, principled Christian ministry, was wonderfully encouraging as were Keith Mason, Cal Zastrow, Mike Burton, and so many others at the Victory Rally and press conference! A general theme was that we have to stop regulating abortion, as powerful pro-life speaker Lori Goebel declared, and stop supporting laws that end with, "and then you can kill the baby," and commit ourselves to upholding the God-given right to life!

Today's Resource: Have you seen the Government Department at our KGOV Store? Check out the classic God's Criminal Justice System seminar, God and the Death Penalty, Live from Las Vegas, and Bob on Drugs DVDs, and our powerhouse Focus on the Strategy resources!

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
This will probably light a fire among prolifers in the other 49 states to do the exact same thing!

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
This will probably light a fire among prolifers in the other 49 states to do the exact same thing!

I will be praying for that very thing!

This is the response I received when I contacted MCCL (Minnesota Citizens Concerned for Life) about Colorado's personhood amendment. I stated that maybe us citizens in MN should try and do the same thing.

:(

Thanks for contacting us. We would love to support an effort that would define a person as the Colorado group suggests. There is are practical problems, however.

In Minnesota, we do not have the votes to even ban horrific Saline Abortions. We could not even get a hearing in the Minnesota Senate. We will continue to try to attach it to another bill but may not be successful. But even if we could amend the Minnesota Constitution as suggested, the real problem is the U.S. Supreme Court.

In spite of the improvements President Bush has made to the U.S. Supreme Court, it is still, at the very best, 5 pro-abortion to 4 pro-life. It is unknown whether all 4 of the pro-life members would be willing to overturn Roe and Doe entirely for various reasons. Some may favor a more gradual change because of the social upheaval that a sudden reversal would cause, for instance.

Under the Roe v. Wade and Doe v. Bolton decisions of 1973, unborn children are not persons in the court's view of our U.S. Constitution. We all know that decision was wrongly decided and makes no sense at all. But sadly, it is the current state of law in our nation.

Even if we could get such a law passed through congress or here in Minnesota it would immediately be challenged in court by the pro-abortion crowd. It would be declared unconstitutional by the Federal District Courts and if appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court it would be also be declared unconstitutional because we do not have a majority on the Court. That would leave us with two unfavorable decisions by the Supreme Court and actually strengthen the pro-abortion movements position while weakening ours.

I am familiar with the Colorado group you mentioned. They believe that upholding principle is more important than achieving actual change.
Principles are important and we should not abandon them. But the movement cannot place principle above actually saving human lives nor are the two mutually exclusive.

That is why NRLC and almost every state group in the nation is doing what it can to protect innocent life now while doing the hard and sometimes frustrating work of building courts and legislatures that will be willing and able to fully restore the protections we all so desperately want.

Members of the group you mentioned think that even the Partial Birth Abortion Ban is wrong because it didn't stop all abortions. Further, because it didn't stop all abortions, they believe it was the moral equivalent to giving permission to do all other types of abortion. They have said that in my presence.

To me that is like saying to children in a burning school house that as much as I would like to save those of you that I can, that would be the moral equivalent of giving my consent to let the rest of you burn. That is an all or nothing approach to saving lives. It is "principle" misapplied and it allows abortions to continue without limitation.

Believe me, if the strategy had any chance of success the whole movement would be supporting it. It is against my principles to adopt a strategy of all or nothing at the price of millions more unfettered abortions.

I know that you want the abortions to stop as much as any of us. But unfortunately the idea is not a workable solution even though we wish it were so.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I will be praying for that very thing!

This is the response I received when I contacted MCCL (Minnesota Citizens Concerned for Life) about Colorado's personhood amendment. I stated that maybe us citizens in MN should try and do the same thing.

:(
Looks like you're going to have to find (or form) another group and go around them. Colorado got it done without the support of Focus On The Family which is located in Colorado Springs.

Status
Not open for further replies.