The Terri Case - this is ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
cattyfan said:
by the way, keypurr...I forgot it was fellowship week. I am forced to rephrase...please change, "You are a blithering freaking idiot," to "I'm very sorry to hear you are having difficulty thinking rationally and with clarity...I hope you seek assistance with your intellectual shortfall soon. Kindest Regards."
That's funny!

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Your "declaration of reality" is disputed, not just by people like me, but by court appointed neurologists and other experts. I am trying to eliminate the he said she said here to try and take a look at the underlying issues.

Lets be fair.

If we KNEW that Terri was not in a vegetative state, and we KNEW there was hope for her recovery, and we KNEW that she wanted to continue living, then the courts/husband have made a grave error.

What is fair about posing a question based on a false premise?

I have the intellectual honesty to admit that. Can you do the same?

What is honest about posing a question based on a false premise?

I set the parameters the way I did because I want to see how many can separate reason from emotion here.

No, you set the parameters that way because the real ones don't suit you.

I ask again, for any to answer:

The answer is. :sozo: Bad Rep Points for YOU!

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Separating reason from emotion should put one squarely in the "life" camp. What rational person would think that starvation and dehydration = painless death with dignity?

As I had the opportunity to meet with and interview some of the survivors of Auswitz and Belsen-Bergen, many years ago, I really did get the overall impression that none of them thought that was particularly dignified or painless. However, many of their families and associated did die, dignified or not.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
keypurr said:
To be honest, I don't know everything that is going on with her except that she has no way of living any kind of life.

Who are you to judge? Especially since, "To be honest, I don't know everything that is going on with ..."

I ask you, if you were her, would you want to go on living?

Not as the wife of a murderer, like I would be granted that option.

Is it just Terri you want to see die, or does that extend to really old people who can't feed themselves too? After all who wants to live when their bodies are old, breaking down and full of pain?

BillyBob said:
What is fair about posing a question based on a false premise?

What is honest about posing a question based on a false premise?

No, you set the parameters that way because the real ones don't suit you.

The answer is. :sozo: Bad Rep Points for YOU!

Answer the question! :sozo:

I said it was hypothetical, and there is a point to be made. It's a simple yes/no question. Are you a coward? Can you not give a straight answer? Can anyone here give a straight answer?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
jeremiah said:
To Zakath: You, or others, might be interested in hearing his side of the story, and from people who defend some of his actions, and support him now! http://www.randallterry.com/home/index.cfm?page=14
Thank you for supplying that link. I had read its content before posting anything about Mr. Randall here. I am familiar with the CEC, the sect to which Mr. Randall now claims allegiance. One of its founding bishops is a personal friend...

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
Zakath said:
Thank you for supplying that link. I had read its content before posting anything about Mr. Randall here. I am familiar with the CEC, the sect to which Mr. Randall now claims allegiance. One of its founding bishops is a personal friend...

That is very interesting, and a small world!

Zakath

Resident Atheist
jeremiah said:
That is very interesting, and a small world!
It's a small sect... it is mostly comprised of a disaffected group of former-episcopalian charismatics who got ticked about the gay priest ordinations in the PECUSA a few years back.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Answer the question! :sozo:

I said it was hypothetical, and there is a point to be made.

If it's hypothetical, then why are you using Terri Shiavo's name and including her in your dopey scenario?

It's a simple yes/no question. Are you a coward?

'Coward' hardly describes me. :box:

Can you not give a straight answer?

Yes, I certainly can. The answer is:

:sozo: More Bad Rep Points for YOU!

Can anyone here give a straight answer?

Maybe.

:banana:

C

cattyfan

Why don't you just answer the question! :sozo:

because your fictional scenario isn't worth addressing.

If you ever pose a query based upon reality, I might bother.

C

cattyfan

the news just ran a story about how while Terri is dying there is music playing softly in the room, fresh flowers next to her bed and a stuffed animal for her to hold...gee, how nice. Some of the things Michael denied her the last few years she was alive. He tried to keep anything out of her room to which she might react.

C

cattyfan

Originally Posted by cattyfan

by the way, keypurr...I forgot it was fellowship week. I am forced to rephrase...please change, "You are a blithering freaking idiot," to "I'm very sorry to hear you are having difficulty thinking rationally and with clarity...I hope you seek assistance with your intellectual shortfall soon. Kindest Regards."

deardelmar said:
That's funny!

thank you :eek:

C

cattyfan

Zakath said:
And you know this, how? :think:

from the interviews with several of the care staff who work in the hospice. There were several months in the last year when Michael had a directive in her file which kept her family from visiting. Staff was also instructed "no music, and blinds must be kept drawn." There was no reason for this except depriving Terri of any stimulation. This was also introduced in some of the court papers when the family was fighting to visit her about a year ago.

Seems odd to demand this type of thing if he really believes she is in a vegetative state...if she were in that state, what difference would music, light, or visitors make?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
cattyfan said:
from the interviews with several of the care staff who work in the hospice.
Wouldn't have a citation, would you perhaps?

Seems odd to demand this type of thing if he really believes she is in a vegetative state...if she were in that state, what difference would music, light, or visitors make?
The brain will sometimes respond to stimulus even if severely damaged producing seizures, spontaneous muscle spasms, etc. If what you say is true, perhaps they were trying reduce the likelihood of self injury.

On Fire

Zakath said:
The brain will sometimes respond to stimulus even if severely damaged producing seizures, spontaneous muscle spasms, etc. If what you say is true, perhaps they were trying reduce the likelihood of self injury.
A little food and water would work, too.

C

cattyfan

Zakath said:
Wouldn't have a citation, would you perhaps?

I didn't write down the place and time for every quote...but unlike many of the people who have thrown down in this fight, I've been following this case for years.

As for your second comment, it wasn't "they" who made the demand Terri be deprived of stimuli; it was Michael Shiavo...in the same directive he decreed here family wasn't allowed to see her. That's why the parents had to go to court last year...to get a judge to return to them the right to see their daughter/sister.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
cattyfan said:
I didn't write down the place and time for every quote...but unlike many of the people who have thrown down in this fight, I've been following this case for years.
I appreciate that. I'm just asking you to document your statements... till then they're just hearsay... which flies around quite liberally in cases like this one.

As for your second comment, it wasn't "they" who made the demand Tereri be deprived of stimuli; it was Michael Shiavo...in the same directive he decreed here family wasn't allowed to see her.
Again, unless you've got documentation, it's merely hearsay...

That's why the parents had to go to court last year...to get a judge to return to them the right to see their daughter/sister.
I've read about that particular incident myself, thank you.

C

cattyfan

Zakath said:
I appreciate that. I'm just asking you to document your statements... till then they're just hearsay... which flies around quite liberally in cases like this one.

Again, unless you've got documentation, it's merely hearsay...

I've read about that particular incident myself, thank you.

if you've read about the incident, then why aren't you more well-versed on the facts. Why were the parents having to fight for the right to see their daughter? Because Michael was keeping them out. It was the testimony from the hospice staff that got Michael's demand over-turned. Their testimony included that he was keeping music and light out when there was no reason to deprive Terri of those things.

What do you remember reading about the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.