ARCHIVE: Free From Sin - 1 John

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Spitfire said:
So.......... when you die, do you think God is going to saw you in half and only let the part of you that doesn't sin into Heaven?
That part of me will already be removed when I get to heaven.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Sin can not enter Heaven. Only righteousness can. So only that which God has made righteous will enter Heaven.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The requirement of the Law is there.

The requirement of the Law is there.

Lighthouse said:
Sin is transgression of the law, and Christians are not under the law, and where there is no law there is no transgression.
Lighthouse,

If there is no law then has the requirement of the Law been met? Wasn't it the Law that made sin sinful? There was sin before the Law too.

Also, are you saying that Christians do not transgress the law?

And, if there is no law then how was Paul not without the law in ministering to Gentiles?

Wondering if the requirement has been met and Christians are blameless.

Shalom,

Jacob
Deuteronomy 6:4; Matthew 5:17-20; John 11:25; Romans 1:16-17

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
That part of me will already be removed when I get to heaven.

Flesh is a metaphor for sin, in contrast to a life yielded to the Spirit. We are to walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh (exhortation shows some were still walking in the flesh). John Wesley talked about an erradication of a sinful nature with a definitive work subsequent to salvation. This 'sinless perfectionism' was one error in an otherwise helpful theology.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
Sin can not enter Heaven. Only righteousness can. So only that which God has made righteous will enter Heaven.

Sin is not a thing in a box. Sinful choices no longer exist after the choice. They do not stay around to be left behind. Sin is not a substance or thing. Adultery is an act, not a literal 'thing'. We are justified in Christ, treated as if we never sinned. It is not a matter of reversing actual sins nor gathering them up in a bag to be thrown away. One act can be different than our standing. A believer can be in Christ, yet be sinful in one motive, thought, or act. If one is fornicating, they are not righteous in that one act, yet they are still in relationship with Christ.

sentientsynth

godrulz said:
Ephesians 3:4-6 shows that the mystery (Jew and Gentile one in Christ) was not just revealed to Paul, but to God's holy apostleS and prophetS.
Sure. The point is the Paul was the FIRST.

Peter did have a Gentile revelation. Just because it was revealed to Paul does not mean the others did not have an understanding.
That must be why Peter said Paul was hard to understand.

The church was birthed in Acts 2 by the Spirit (fulfill promise that Christ would build His church- Mt. 16:18..rock of Peter's confession), not later at Paul's conversion.
Right. A Jewless-Gentileless body having a Jewish feast that was banned by Paul. :kookoo:

elected4ever

This is getting to be the most idiotic tread I have ever read. I go away for a day and the stupidity that comes out of your pie holes is amazing. Isn't there anyone on this board who knows what a child of God is other that Zozo and me?

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
elected4ever said:
This is getting to be the most idiotic tread I have ever read. I go away for a day and the stupidity that comes out of your pie holes is amazing. Isn't there anyone on this board who knows what a child of God is other that Zozo and me?

Do you ever struggle with pride?

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
elected4ever said:
Suppose you tell me what a child of God is. Let me ask you this question, Does God have pride?

Someone who is born again.
No, not the kind that is a sin;
pride Arrogant or disdainful conduct or treatment; haughtiness.

Have you struggled with pride as a Christian?
Is pride a sin?
How long have you been saved?
Have you sinned since you've been saved?
If not, what do you call it when you do something wrong?
Are you afraid to answer these questions like Sozo?

lollu

BANNED
Banned
Sozo said:
I am done wasting the gospel on swine.

NOTE: Just so you all know why this thread exists in the form that it does... Sozo made an opening post arguing that Christians cannot sin. He later deleted all the content from the first post and replaced it with... "
I am done wasting the gospel on swine."
. That's why there is almost no content in Sozo's first post. The thread later develops into a really great refutation of the argument so that's why it's a "keeper" - Knight

free from sin. simple, sin no more.

elected4ever

CRASH said:
Someone who is born again.
If someone is born of God, do they sin, period. Why or why not.
No, not the kind that is a sin;
Then why is God vengeful?
Have you struggled with pride as a Christian?
No, just in the flesh and the flesh is dead so what do i care what the flesh does. I am not of the flesh
Is pride a sin?
does it stand in opposition to God.
How long have you been saved?
50 years. but what does that matter.
Have you sinned since you've been saved?
I am not capable of sin. I am born of God
If not, what do you call it when you do something wrong?
A mistake. Mistakes are not sins but opportunities to learn
Are you afraid to answer these questions like Sozo?
Sozo is not afraid to answer these questions. Why is it necessary to carry around a bag of false guilt?

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
elected4ever said:
If someone is born of God, do they sin, period. Why or why not.
Then why is God vengeful?
No, just in the flesh and the flesh is dead so what do i care what the flesh does. I am not of the flesh
does it stand in opposition to God.
50 years. but what does that matter.
I am not capable of sin. I am born of God
A mistake. Mistakes are not sins but opportunities to learn
Sozo is not afraid to answer these questions. Why is it necessary to carry around a bag of false guilt?

Thanks for the answers:doh: but.... :grave:

:wave:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
elected4ever said:
I am not capable of sin.
The apostle Paul disagrees...

1Corinthians 8:6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live. 7 However, there is not in everyone that knowledge; for some, with consciousness of the idol, until now eat it as a thing offered to an idol; and their conscience, being weak, is defiled. 8 But food does not commend us to God; for neither if we eat are we the better, nor if we do not eat are we the worse. 9 But beware lest somehow this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to those who are weak. 10 For if anyone sees you who have knowledge eating in an idol’s temple, will not the conscience of him who is weak be emboldened to eat those things offered to idols? 11 And because of your knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? 12 But when you thus sin against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ.

Ephesians 4:25 Therefore, putting away lying, “Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor,” for we are members of one another. 26 “Be angry, and do not sin”: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, 27 nor give place to the devil.

Romans 4:7 “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, And whose sins are covered; Blessed is the man to whom the LORD shall not impute sin.”

1Corinthians 6:17 But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him. 18 Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body.

You are capable of sin, but thankfully your sin is covered. That is the gospel.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
lollu said:
free from sin. simple, sin no more.

There is a difference between will not and cannot. A true believer does not need to sin and will normatively not sin, but this does not mean it is absolutely impossible to sin (unless we are neutered robots at conversion).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
CRASH said:
Thanks for the answers:doh: but.... :grave:

:wave:

Apparently a sin is sin one minute before conversion and a 'mistake' one minute after conversion. God's holiness and moral law are universal and eternal since they are based on His being and character, not an arbitrary, changing standard. Euphemisms do not change the fundamental reality of sin and holiness. Keep it up, Clete/Crash.

e4e...comments on Knight's verses that use sin in reference to believers?

Last edited: