The Ever Present Problem of Atheism (HOF thread)

Z Man

Originally posted by Zakath
Z Man dodges questions again:

You wrote there were "many other historical documents that state an declare Jesus' existence". Yet when asked to produce examples, you refused.
I never refused to produce them, I'm just too lazy to search for them on the internet. :eek: Besides, I'm not the one doing the "life searching"; you are. If you're really serious about finding more evidence for Jesus Christ, then you will look for it yourself.

You made the claim. If you cannot produce them, all I'm left to assume is that you were mistaken or you lied. :(
If you can't find them yourself, all I'm left to assume is that you didn't try at all. :(

I have yet to be apprised of one historically verifiable event attributable to Jesus of Nazareth.
But it's not because Christians haven't produced the evidence, it's because you refuse to believe...

But I'm interested in your comments, not Jay Bartlett's. Or is this another case where you cannot answer?
I would have pretty much said what Jay did.

If you truly believe that evidence is worthless, then why do you engage in apologetics arguments with atheists? ;)
Because I have nothing else to do. :eek: Besides, you kept asking me questions and I thought maybe I could share something with you that you haven't heard of or knew before. ;)

I think it is more correct to say that I will not accept weak, easily falsifiable or ambiguous evidence. You Christians do not seem to have anything else to present...
The numerous accounts of evidence that Christians not only present in the Bible, but also in other accounts, is extremely valid. You just choose not to believe in any of it. It's not our problem you don't believe; its yours.

What is the issue is that, once again, when asked to present clear, unambiguous, empircal evidence for the existence of the ultimate cause of the universe, the most powerful being in all existence, a being which allegedly speaks to hearts of all mankind, not a single one of you has been able to deliver.

The atheists are still waiting... :crackup:
Waiting for what? God has given us more than enough evidence to show His existence.

Ateists remind me of little kids that refuse to go somewhere, so their parents have to pick them up and carry them to get them to go through the door.... :crackup:

God gives every bird his food, but he does not throw
it into the nest.
JOSIAH GILBERT HOLLAND (1819–1881)

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Mindlight wrote:
Zakath

For me to adopt your position of hopeless scepticism about God and all that He offer would be entirely dishonest.
Well I certainly wouldn't want you to be dishonest.
1) I am convinced by the quality and evident truth of the Bible manuscripts themselves and because having accepted God into my life His presence is too obvious to ignore in the scriptures also.
You raise an interesting point. I would ask, did your "enlightenment" about the scriptures precede your "accepting God into your life" or did it occur afterwards?
2) There is a considerable amount in the Antiquities of the Jews which affirms the Bible accounts and characters contained in them e.g. James, Pilate, Herod etc. Since these references are extremely numerous I will not bother to quote them all just recommend that you read the book.
I've already read it. Merely because a religious book mentions Pilate, Herod, or even Lazarus does not provide content validity for the religious text. The text merely contains references to some characters that were historically real. I've read other religions' scriptures for which the same claim can be made. The Qu'ran and Bhagavad Gita both mention historical figures. That does not make their religious claims any more or less valid.
I take it your Arabic quotation is drawn from Pines 1971 work on the subject as your translation is similar to his. (see S.Pines - An Arabic version of the Testimonium Flavianum and Its Implications.)
No, if it was, I would have cited it. The citation is from Dr. James Tabor's, professor of Religious Studies at UNC, translation of Josephus provided in a set of lecture notes from one of his courses at UNC "The Jewish Roman World of Jesus". He is currently working on the most recently released materials related to the Qumran Scrolls. I apologize for not citing Tabor.

There was a considerable debate particularly concerning the Slavonic versions of the Testimonium Flavianum in the C19 and many scholars concluded that these texts especially, may have been heavily edited. Also Origen mentioned that Jospehus probably did not believe in Jesus as the messiah. My own view is that there is a hard core of testimony here worth accepting as Josephus and that may have been some Christian editing of some versions.
Well you and I do not agree here.

However even if I accepted the minimalist levels of the Arabic version I would still have here a testimony about the historical existence of Christ from a non Christian source , the fact that it was claimed he was the messiah and also that he performed paranormal acts.
The main difference between the two versions is that in what you refer to as the minimalist version, the author merely cites the beliefs of others. IIRC, Josephus cites beliefs about several allegedly miraculous events ascribed to famous Romans without actually stating he believed them.
Before ascribing too much accuracy to Josephus, let's examine a few other passages from the Antiquities and you can tell me what you think of their likely historical accuracy.
Quote #1 – Using magical rings and incantations developed by Solomon for exorcism
Antiquities 8.2.5. God also enabled him [Solomon] to learn that skill which expels demons, which is a science useful and sanative to men. He composed such incantations also by which distempers are alleviated. And he left behind him the manner of using exorcisms, by which they drive away demons, so that they never return; and this method of cure is of great force unto this day; for I have seen a certain man of my own country, whose name was Eleazar, releasing people that were demoniacal in the presence of Vespasian, and his sons, and his captains, and the whole multitude of his soldiers. The manner of the cure was this: He put a ring that had a Foot of one of those sorts mentioned by Solomon to the nostrils of the demoniac, after which he drew out the demon through his nostrils; and when the man fell down immediately, he abjured him to return into him no more, making still mention of Solomon, and reciting the incantations which he composed. And when Eleazar would persuade and demonstrate to the spectators that he had such a power, he set a little way off a cup or basin full of water, and commanded the demon, as he went out of the man, to overturn it, and thereby to let the spectators know that he had left the man; and when this was done, the skill and wisdom of Solomon was shown very manifestly: for which reason it is, that all men may know the vastness of Solomon's abilities, and how he was beloved of God, and that the extraordinary virtues of every kind with which this king was endowed may not be unknown to any people under the sun for this reason, I say, it is that we have proceeded to speak so largely of these matters.
Quote #'s 2-6
[Jewish War, Josephus, 6.5.288] Here Josephus describes specific "miracles" that preceded the sack of Jesrusalem in 70 AD.
"Thus there was a star resembling a sword, which stood over the city, and a comet, that continued a whole year." [6.5.289] – Such a phenomenal miracle is nowhere else mentioned in any contemporary history.

And in the Temple, "at the ninth hour of the night of the night a great light shone round the altar....This light seemed to be a good sign to the naive, but was so interpreted by the sacred scribes as to portend the events that followed." [6.5.291- 293]

And, "also, a heifer, as she was led by the high priest to be sacrificed, brought forth a lamb in the midst of the temple." [6.5.292]

"Moreover, the eastern gate of the inner temple. ..was seen to be opened of its own accord... This also the vulgar thought a happy prodigy...but the men of learning understood it." [6.5.293 - 295]

And, "...chariots and troops of soldiers in their armor were seen running about among the clouds. [6.5.298 - 299]
So you expect me to accept the veracity of a fellow who reports that cow gave birth to a lamb in the temple at Jerusalem? An author who described all of these wondrous events, yet he never described a single miracle performed by someone he supposedly alleges to be the Jewish Messiah? Seems a bit out of character…

Next topic.
When I provided a citation from a Talmudic source you replied:
There is a debate about this reference and Christians regard it as you do as a very distorted reference on the Biblical account. Yet many believe unlike you that it refers to Christ even though its interpretations of his miracles differ from orthodox Christian belief.
Interesting. To which of Yeshu HaNotzri's "miracles" do you refer? So far as I know, there are none listed in the Talmud.

Jesus here is called the Son of Pandera (As Origen explains in (Contra Celsum 1:32) this was because Jews considered him the child of a Roman soldier by that name. Indeed the reference itself could be regarded as a corruption of the Greek word "parthenos" for virgin and thus the passage provides indirect testimony (albeit corrupted) of the Virgin Birth claims made by Scripture.
The single passage I cited previously does not deal with this individual. I believe you're thinking of a different passage, perhaps you could provide a rendering of the passage and a citation as I did.

6) Try also - i) View Jesus was a sorceror who learnt black arts in Egypt - Sanhedrin 43b.
Would you provide your translation of this citation? The one I have has no reference to Egypt. Also, the Yeshu referred to in my citation was hanged (not crucified) by a Jewish court on the day before Passover. This raises several points:
  • first, this Yeshu did not live in Jesus' time, he lived during the reign of Alexander Janneus (about 103 BCE to 76 BCE), remember the Jews in Jesus' time did not have the right to execute prisoners (hence the whole story in the gospels involving Pilate),
  • second this person was not executed on Passover as the Christians teach.

ii) Jew Trypo makes same charge ( Justin Dialogues Tryph 69.7)
I assume you meant "Trypho". Justin Martyr wrote during the second century AD. I would suggest that it is quite possible that Trypho may be an invented character and the work merely an vehicle for Justin's conversion story and an apologetics reader. Something akin, perhaps to the demons Wormwood and Screwtape in C.S. Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters". BTW, I read a translation of the text you cited and did not find the reference. The entire 69th Chapter consists of a monologue by Justin Martyr. Perhaps you could post the text you are referring to here.

You may be aware that there was another Trypho associated with the Church Fathers, a student of Origen's.

iii) Greek Celsus also says the same(Origen Contra Celsum 1.6)
I'll let the translator speak to this reference. "This work is a paragraph by paragraph demolition of the lost anti-Christian pamphlet "The True Doctrine" by the philosopher Celsus. Celsus wrote around 178 AD, but the work did not come into Origen's hands until the early third century. Origen questions whether anyone will ever have seen the pamphlet -- he had not himself before now -- but at the request of a friend he has refuted it." - J. Armitage ROBINSON, The Philocalia of Origen: The text revised with a critical introduction and indices. Cambridge University Press/New York:Macmillan (1893).

The weakness of your last two items is that neither of them are non-Christian historical references. Both Justin and Origen were Christian writers. The alleged work by Celsum has not survived so there is no way to ascertain what it actually contained. Indeed Origen's work does not survive as an autograph and exists only in variant copies a number of European libraries. The oldest surviving copy of Origen's work is from the 13th century, almost one thousand years after the originals were written.

iv) Also evidence that Jesus name was used in exorcism rites outside the Christian community:
(see Magical papyri - PGM IV. 3019-3020)
Please, tell me you're not using a Hellenistic magic text (Papyri Graceae Magicae) as an historical proof for the existence of Jesus of Nazareth??? :crackup:

Unfortunately for this discussion, as an empiricist, I do not keep copies of alleged magical formulae lying about the place. ;) Could you provide an example of what you mean here, i.e. actual textual citation.

I'd like to see your answers to the above before we investigate more.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Z Man
I never refused to produce them, I'm just too lazy to search for them on the internet.
Well you're not gonna win many souls fer Jesus by bein' lazy, sonny! ;)

Besides, I'm not the one doing the "life searching"; you are. If you're really serious about finding more evidence for Jesus Christ, then you will look for it yourself.
Been doing it for years. You have provided little concrete to discuss, and certainly nothing new.

I'll leave you to your self-described sloth and continue with people who actually have something to offer to the conversation.

Aimiel

Originally posted by temple 2000 An eclipse is not the only event that can cause darkness during mid-day.
Well, maybe somebody forgot to pay the Electric Bill.:doh:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Z Man
You didn't answer the question Zakath: What are Athiests waiting for?

It was spelled out plainly in the paragraph preceding the waiting comment.I know it's got some polysyllabic words in it, Z Man, but do try to keep up:

...when asked to present clear, unambiguous, empircal evidence for the existence of the ultimate cause of the universe, the most powerful being in all existence, a being which allegedly speaks to hearts of all mankind, not a single one of you has been able to deliver.

I'm still waiting for some religionist to deliver such evidence. So far, all I've seen is ambiguous words.

Aimiel

Zakath will Never Come to God Except He Believes

Zakath will Never Come to God Except He Believes

Zakath,

He is available, but you have to believe that he exists to find him, otherwise you are just musing (or perhaps amusing yourself).

Hebrews 11:6
But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.

mindlight

I agree with famousgandalf that the key issue with Zakath is one of faith but nonetheless the foolishness of atheism is such that sometimes it needs to be answered in its own terms lest its followers feel themselves wise in their own eyes. Christians are also called to give a reason for the hope they have and to take every thought captive for Christ. So because I had the time today and in response to Zakaths comments:

did your "enlightenment" about the scriptures precede your "accepting God into your life" or did it occur afterwards?

I have known God all my life even before I learnt to read. But I was read the scriptures even as a child. It was my favourite book as a child especially the old testament. Though now after all the ups and downs of my Christian life I find the New Testament a richer read. I would not separate God from his scriptures in my own experience or in reality. Both have proven in practice as reliable as each other.

Merely because a religious book mentions Pilate, Herod, or even Lazarus does not provide content validity for the religious text. The text merely contains references to some characters that were historically real. I've read other religions' scriptures for which the same claim can be made. The Qu'ran and Bhagavad Gita both mention historical figures. That does not make their religious claims any more or less valid.

The Qu'ran (7th Century) mentions historical figures like Jesus(Yeshua) but like the Babylonian Talmud (6th century) suffers from its distance from the life of Yeshua and from its theological biases regarding him.

Josephus's Antiquities of he Jews (93-94AD) is near to the events of the life of Christ and feeds of the sources and conversations of the time of Christ for his history. While it is clear that there are inaccuracies in him and that he often mishandled his sources there are also large numbers of correlations with Biblical events which have a remarkable consistency with the Biblical account.

So for example Book 18 Chap 3 -55
"But now Pilate, the procurator of Judea....."

So Pilate was procurator of Judea at the time of Jesus

Book 18 Chap 3 -63
"Now there was about this time Jesus......."

Tacitus also tells that Pontius Pilate put the founder of Christianity, Jesus Christ, to death in the reign of Tiberius, Emperor of Rome.

So you have the affirmation of an historical assertion made by scripture relating to the events around about the time of Christ as the Procurator mentioned in scripture as being over Judea was indeed Pontius Pilate. Which ties in with archaeological evidence like the Pilate stone in the Jerusalem Museum as to the historical existence of a major character in the Biblical account. If the historical reality of these characters is accepted then the Biblical accounts become interesting as historical documents providing historical commentary. Documents which like those of Josephus's need to be scrutinised and tested but which appear to tie in with alternative source evidence available. Suddenly the eye witness accounts in them of miracles, resurrections and the life and times of Yeshua are not as incredible as a dogmatic denial of the validity of scripture implies.

The main difference between the two versions is that in what you refer to as the minimalist version, the author merely cites the beliefs of others. IIRC, Josephus cites beliefs about several allegedly miraculous events ascribed to famous Romans without actually stating he believed them.

I grant that is the difference quoting the Arabic or the traditional translation would mean. Nonetheless it confirms that these were the notions being discussed about the life of an historical person called Jesus Christ and that as in the Bible miraculous events have been attributed to him by his followers. The debate about who Jesus was, was already in circulation at this point and worthy of mention in Josephus's history to a Roman audience.

The debate is evident in Justin works and in Origens addressing of the points raised by Celsus. Also in the mockery of Tertullian.

CELSUS in C2nd - Origen, Contra Celsum 1.28 -

Jesus had come from a village in Judea, and was the son of a poor Jewess who gained her living by the work of her own hands. His mother had been turned out of doors by her husband, who was a carpenter by trade, on being convicted of adultery [with a soldier named Panthéra (i.32)]. Being thus driven away by her husband, and wandering about in disgrace, she gave birth to Jesus, a bastard. Jesus, on account of his poverty, was hired out to go to Egypt. While there he acquired certain (magical) powers which Egyptians pride themselves on possessing. He returned home highly elated at possessing these powers, and on the strength of them gave himself out to be a god.

TERTULLIAN - late in 2nd century -De Spetaculis 100.30

This is your carpenter's son, your harlot's son;[1] your Sabbath-breaker, your Samaritan[2], your demon-possessed! This is he whom you bought from Judas. This is he who was struck with reeds and fists, dishonored with spittle, and given a draught of gall and vinegar! This is he whom his disciples have stolen secretly, that it may be said, 'He has risen', or the gardener abstracted that his lettuces might not be damaged by the crowds of visitors![3]

The BABYLONIAN TALMUD SOURCE - Sanhedrin 107b || Sota 47a (except for the last sentence) Translation from - Mead, R.S. Did Jesus Live 100 B.C.?. London: Theosophical Publishing Society, 1903. Goldstein, Morris, Jesus in the Jewish Tradition, New York Macmillan Co., 1950.

The Rabbis taught: The left should always be used to push away, and the right, on the other hand to draw nearer. But one should not do it as Elisha who pushed Gehazi away, nor as R. Joshua ben Perachiah, who pushed away Yeshu with both hands. What was the problem with R. Joshua ben Perachiah? When King Jannai ordered the extermination of the Rabbis, R. Joshua ben Perachiah and Yeshu fled to Alexandria. When it was safe to return, Rabbi Simeon ben Shetach sent him a letter:

From me, Jerusalem the holy city, to the Alexandria in Egypt, my sister. My spouse tarries in your midst, and I sit desolate.
Joshua set off at once. During the trip they happened upon an inn in which they treated him with great respect. Joshua commented, "How fair is this inn[1]." Yeshu replied, "But Rabbi, she[1] has unattractive eyes."[2] Joshua replied, "You godless person, do you fill your mind with such things?" Then he had 400 trumpets sounded and anathematized him. Yeshu often came and said to him, "Receive me back." Joshua paid no attention. One day, while Joshua was reciting the Shema, Yeshu came to him, hoping for a reprieve. Joshua made a sign to him with his hand. [3] Yeshu misunderstood, thinking he had been repulsed, so he went away set up a brick and worshipped it. Joshua said to him, "Repent!" Yeshu replied, "I learned this from you: 'Anyone who sins and causes the people to sin, is not allowed the possibility of repentance.'"
[The Teacher said: "Yeshu practiced sorcery and corrupted and misled Israel."]

The Toledoth Yeshu. - too long to quote here but try:

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~humm/Topics/JewishJesus/toledoth.html

Baraitha Bab. Sanhedrin 43a
The translation is informed by both Goldstein:22,109ff and Mead:178f,210f.

There is a tradition (in a Barraitha): They hanged Yeshu on the Sabbath of the Passover[1]. But for forty days before that a herald went in front of him (crying), "Yeshu is to be stoned because he practiced sorcery and seduced Israel and lead them away from God[2]. Anyone who can provide evidence on his behalf should come forward to defend him." When, however, nothing favorable about him was found, he was hanged on the Sabbath of the Passover[1].
Ulla[3] commented: "Do you think that he belongs among those for whom redeeming evidence is sought? Rather, he was a seducer [of whom] the All-merciful has said: 'Show them no pity... and do not shield them.' (Deut 13.8b NRSV)[4] In Yeshu's case, however, an exception was made because he was close to those who held [political/religious] authority."

"They hanged Jesus of Nazareth on the Eve of Passover because he practised sorcery and was leading Israel astray." (Babylonian Talmud, Tractate Sanhedrin 43b) (Does not refer to Egypt in this version - might be an alternative version of Talmud - but cannot find this)

I grant you that the above passages are not always particularly convincing ( though 43b is not too bad for this debate) and hardly flattering to the Christian cause but they may well refer to a distorted reading of the life of Christ as the Jewish community tried to formulate its response to Christianity. However the time distance and the discrepancies and general hostility of the Jewish community to Christ probably mean that Jewish talmud, Mishnah or other writings is not the best way to attest to Jesus's historical existence or paranormal activities. The sources lack credibility because the people who wrote them were not honest with the realities they were describing or about the person they were commenting on.

I assume you meant "Trypho". Justin Martyr wrote during the second century AD. I would suggest that it is quite possible that Trypho may be an invented character and the work merely an vehicle for Justin's conversion story and an apologetics reader. Something akin, perhaps to the demons Wormwood and Screwtape in C.S. Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters". BTW, I read a translation of the text you cited and did not find the reference. The entire 69th Chapter consists of a monologue by Justin Martyr. Perhaps you could post the text you are referring to here.

You may be aware that there was another Trypho associated with the Church Fathers, a student of Origen's.

Many Jews with philosophical training were converted at that time from paul onwards so it is not implausible to believe that Trypho existed.

The text in the Dialogues Chapter LXIX concerning the accusation by the Jews that Jesus was a magician (but not that he specifically learnt his art in Egypt - a reference I cannot find here):

The spring of living water which gushed forth from God in the land destitute of the knowledge of God, namely the land of the Gentiles, was this Christ, who also appeared in your nation, and healed those who were maimed, and deaf, and lame in body from their birth, causing them to leap, to hear, and to see, by His word. And having raised the dead, and causing them to live, by His deeds He compelled the men who lived at that time to recognise Him. But though they saw such works, they asserted it was magical art. For they dared to call Him a magician, and a deceiver of the people. Yet He wrought such works, and persuaded those who were [destined to] believe on Him; for even if any one be labouring under a defect of body, yet be an observer of the doctrines delivered by Him, He shall raise him up at His second advent perfectly sound, after He has made him immortal, and incorruptible, and free from grief.

See http://www.ccel.org/fathers2/ANF-01/anf01-48.htm for rest of the text.

Chapter IX.-The Christians Have Not Believed Groundless Stories.

"I excuse and forgive you, my friend," I said. "For you know not what you say, but have been persuaded by teachers who do not understand the Scriptures; and you speak, like a diviner, whatever comes into your mind. But if you are willing to listen to an account of Him, how we have not been deceived, and shall not cease to confess Him,-although men's reproaches be heaped upon us, although the most terrible tyrant compel us to deny Him,-I shall prove to you as you stand here that we have not believed empty fables, or words without any foundation but words filled with the Spirit of God, and big with power, and flourishing with grace."

I like the above quote from Justins Dialogue.

Please, tell me you're not using a Hellenistic magic text (Papyri Graceae Magicae) as an historical proof for the existence of Jesus of Nazareth???

I grant you this sort of text is not the best way to affirm my case even if they do show that Jesus is in circulation even here. I would have liked to debate the scriptures but instead found myself wading through the corrupted thoughts of men whose hearts were hardened against Yeshua and who minds have similarly been darkened by their unbelief.

But for now I have a life and the Light to return to.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Re: Zakath will Never Come to God Except He Believes

Re: Zakath will Never Come to God Except He Believes

Originally posted by famousGandalf7
Zakath,

He is available, but you have to believe that he exists to find him, otherwise you are just musing (or perhaps amusing yourself).

Hebrews 11:6
But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.
I've always been amazed that every day...
  • the sun moon and stars manage to shine on the world somewhere, whether I believe it or not
  • the electricity manages to flow through my computer, whether I believe it or not
  • the rain falls from the sky around the planet, whether I believe it or not
  • gravity causes my newspaper to fall in the flowerbed, whether I believe it or not

Great cosmic events and powers manifest continually without one iota of faith on my part.

Yet the one thing allegedly more important than all of them, the thing that is required for my allegedly eternal destiny, is not manifested, but hidden???

The undeniable proof of the existence of the creator of the universe, upon whom allegedly rests existence itself depends upon my miserable little quanta of "faith".

Now that's a serious flaw in design!

Zakath,
Great cosmic events and powers manifest continually without one iota of faith on my part.

Yet the one thing allegedly more important than all of them, the thing that is required for my allegedly eternal destiny, is not manifested, but hidden???

The undeniable proof of the existence of the creator of the universe, upon whom allegedly rests existence itself depends upon my miserable little quanta of "faith".

Now that's a serious flaw in design!
I can't speak for other forms of theism, however, according to Catholic teaching, those who are unintentionally ignorant of Christ's gospel and his church may also attain eternal salvation.

St. Justin Martyr offered this assessment of how one "belongs" to the Church of Christ, and specifically mentions the pagan philosopher Socrates:
Christ is the Logos Divine Word of whom the whole race of men partake. Those who lived according to Logos are Christians, even if they were considered atheists, such as, among the Greeks, Socrates, and Heraclitus (Fr. William G. Most, The Holy Spirit and the Church, Notre Dame Institute Press, 1991, p. 75).
This statement seems to be a very clear example of what St. Paul must have meant when writing to the Romans a century earlier:
For when the Gentiles who do not have the law by nature observe the prescriptions of the law, they are a law for themselves even though they do not have the law. They show that the demands of the law are written in their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even defend them on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge people's hidden works through Christ Jesus (Romans 2:14-16).
One more example of this broad understanding of membership in the partially invisible and mysterious Body of Christ comes from the moving funeral oration of St. Gregory of Nazianzus, which he offered on the occasion of his father's death in A.D. 374:
He was ours even before he was of our fold. His manner of life made him one of us. Just as there are many of our own who are not with us, whose lives alienate them from the common body, so too there are many of those outside who belong really to us, men whose devout conduct anticipates their faith. They lack only the name of that which in fact they possess. My father was one of these, an alien shoot but inclined to us in his manner of life (William A. Jurgens, The Faith of the Early Fathers, vol. 2, Collegeville, MN: The Liturgical Press, 1979, p. 29).

In other words, you may have hope yet. Do what your conscience tells you Zakath. Catholicisim calls the conscience the "aboriginal Vicar of Christ." God will speak to you through your conscience, whether you believe it or not. It is as sure to me as how "the sun moon and stars manage to shine on the world somewhere, whether I believe it or not."

God bless,

Zakath

Resident Atheist
…the foolishness of atheism is such that sometimes it needs to be answered in its own terms lest its followers feel themselves wise in their own eyes.
You're not telling me you're answering me with foolishness, are you? ;)
Christians are also called to give a reason for the hope they have and to take every thought captive for Christ. So because I had the time today…
Thank you for sharing a bit of your background. I'm glad you had the time to post. Now let's see about captivity and bondage…
The Qu'ran (7th Century) mentions historical figures like Jesus(Yeshua) but like the Babylonian Talmud (6th century) suffers from its distance from the life of Yeshua and from its theological biases regarding him.
While it acknowledges the author's belief in certain tales about figures believable to the author (or the one's the author interviewed), it does nothing to bolster the claims of Christians beyond pointing out that "the people who wrote the Qu'ran" believed that someone named Jesus of Nazareth existed.
Josephus's Antiquities of he Jews (93-94AD) is near to the events of the life of Christ and feeds of the sources and conversations of the time of Christ for his history. While it is clear that there are inaccuracies in him and that he often mishandled his sources there are also large numbers of correlations with Biblical events which have a remarkable consistency with the Biblical account So you have the affirmation of an historical assertion made by scripture relating to the events around about the time of Christ as the Procurator mentioned in scripture as being over Judea was indeed Pontius Pilate. Which ties in with archaeological evidence like the Pilate stone in the Jerusalem Museum as to the historical existence of a major character in the Biblical account. If the historical reality of these characters is accepted then the Biblical accounts become interesting as historical documents providing historical commentary. Documents which like those of Josephus's need to be scrutinised and tested but which appear to tie in with alternative source evidence available. Suddenly the eye witness accounts in them of miracles, resurrections and the life and times of Yeshua are not as incredible as a dogmatic denial of the validity of scripture implies.
Again, I raise the point that mere correlation of some biblical personages with non-biblical historical records does not provide any support for uncorroborated events, like miracles or theological claims. For example, the fact that Pilate was a Roman official in Judea does not enhance claims for the accuracy of the crucifixion story. It merely shows that whoever wrote the Antiquities, found Pilate, Herod, and even the Jewish high priest in the historical records of his time.
To follow such logic, we would have to ascribe similar credence to Hindu claims of historical personages (kings and generals) interacting with Hindu deities. Somehow, I seriously doubt that any "bible believing Christian" would find such evidence supportive of Hindu claims that their scriptures and doctrine are true.
Tacitus also tells that Pontius Pilate put the founder of Christianity, Jesus Christ, to death in the reign of Tiberius, Emperor of Rome.
I presume you are speaking of the passage from Annals 15.44. Reread the passage and you'll find two interesting points. First is that Pilate was not actually a procurator but, during the time of Tiberius, he would have been titled "prefect". Secondly, reading further in the passage discloses that Tacitus calls Christianity a "rursum superstitio" or mischievous superstition. While he puts Pilate in the correct place at the correct time, he does nothing to portray the Christian faith in a positive light. His dislike for foreign religions is only exceeded by his dislike for Nero. ;)
I grant that is the difference quoting the Arabic or the traditional translation would mean. Nonetheless it confirms that these were the notions being discussed about the life of an historical person called Jesus Christ and that as in the Bible miraculous events have been attributed to him by his followers. The debate about who Jesus was, was already in circulation at this point and worthy of mention in Josephus's history to a Roman audience.
Any number of religions have analogous positions. Historians have mentioned miracles attributed to Roman emperors, Greek, Hindu, Sumerian, and Egyptian deities by their followers. Such mentions merely indicate that their followers thought miracles had occurred. They do not provide substantive evidence for the veracity of the miracles themselves.
The debate is evident in Justin works and in Origens addressing of the points raised by Celsus. Also in the mockery of Tertullian.

CELSUS in C2nd - Origen, Contra Celsum 1.28 -

Jesus had come from a village in Judea, and was the son of a poor Jewess who gained her living by the work of her own hands. His mother had been turned out of doors by her husband, who was a carpenter by trade, on being convicted of adultery [with a soldier named Panthéra (i.32)]. Being thus driven away by her husband, and wandering about in disgrace, she gave birth to Jesus, a bastard. Jesus, on account of his poverty, was hired out to go to Egypt. While there he acquired certain (magical) powers which Egyptians pride themselves on possessing. He returned home highly elated at possessing these powers, and on the strength of them gave himself out to be a god.
Thank you for finding the quote. 
I do not see how a second-hand quotation from a Greek allegedly writing almost one hundred years after the time Jesus was supposed to have lived, bolsters the credibility of the gospel stories. Particularly when the author paints the "Jesus" in his story as the illegitimate son of a Roman (automatically invalidating any claim to messiahship) and a fraudulent Egyptian-trained magician. A bastard could not ascend to the throne in Israel and a magician would be outcast from Jewish religious circles. As I demonstrated in my previous post there were several versions of the "Egyptian magician" stories of Yeshu that survive to today and none of them took place during the time when Jesus of Nazareth was alleged to have lived.

TERTULLIAN - late in 2nd century -De Spetaculis 100.30
This document "On the Games" is an argument written by Tertullian, a Christian cleric, on the impropriety of Christians attending the gladiatorial games in Carthage. The document has only thirty chapters. The citation you provide does not come from any version of De Spectaculis I've been able to locate.

The BABYLONIAN TALMUD SOURCE - Sanhedrin 107b || Sota 47a (except for the last sentence) Translation from - Mead, R.S. Did Jesus Live 100 B.C.?. London: Theosophical Publishing Society, 1903. Goldstein, Morris, Jesus in the Jewish Tradition, New York Macmillan Co., 1950. [/quote]Thank you for providing your source. But I've got to say that I see why you did not provide them before. ;) Theosophy? This is the second "magical" source you have presented. Are you aware that Madame Blavatsky, her religion, and her followers would be considered in a very bad light and very poor scholarly support by many of the Christians posting to this board? Claiming that the theosophists believe that Jesus exists is something akin to citing Anton Lavey and his Church of Satan as bona fide proof for the existence of Christianity. ;)
Your quote was substantially similar to the one I had used. My previous post explained why this quote was unlikely to be referring to Jesus of Nazareth.

The Toledoth Yeshu. - too long to quote here but try:

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~humm/Top...s/toledoth.html
I went to the link and read the following introduction:
This is a derogatory version of the life of Jesus, growing out of the response of the Jewish community to Christianity. The tradition presented here is most commonly dated to approximately the 6th century CE. The text it self is closer to the 14th c. There is no scholarly consensus on to what extent the text might be a direct parody of a now lost gospel. H.J. Schonfield argued that it was so closely connected to the Gospel of the Hebrews that he attempted to reconstruct that lost work from the Toledoth.
<Sigh> Please note that the person who posted this piece to the web plainly states that it is written as a slander piece and somewhere between 500 to 1300 years after the events in question. This document contains the tale of Miriam's rape, the story of how Jeshu came by his quabbalistic magical powers, his interview by "Queen Helene" (of Adiabene?), and many other adventures. Such a fantastic document hardly provides historical support for the veracity of the Christian religion.

Again, please be aware that Yeshu (and its variants) were common names in first century Palestine. It's someone akin to locating a specific individual named "Jesus" in Mexico City.

Baraitha Bab. Sanhedrin 43a
The translation is informed by both Goldstein:22,109ff and Mead:178f,210f.

There is a tradition (in a Barraitha): They hanged Yeshu on the Sabbath of the Passover[1]. But for forty days before that a herald went in front of him (crying), "Yeshu is to be stoned because he practiced sorcery and seduced Israel and lead them away from God[2]. Anyone who can provide evidence on his behalf should come forward to defend him." When, however, nothing favorable about him was found, he was hanged on the Sabbath of the Passover[1].
Ulla[3] commented: "Do you think that he belongs among those for whom redeeming evidence is sought? Rather, he was a seducer [of whom] the All-merciful has said: 'Show them no pity... and do not shield them.' (Deut 13.8b NRSV)[4] In Yeshu's case, however, an exception was made because he was close to those who held [political/religious] authority."
Several points about this reference:
  • 1. This citation has Yeshu being executed on Passover eve, not Passover. This is a very important distinction for Christianity.
    2. Scholars believe that the Yeshu in this story is the same one referred to in your previous citation. Thus this story took place almost one hundred years before Jesus of Nazareth was born.
    3. This Yeshu was hanged by the Jews, not the Romans, in direct contradiction to the gospel stories.
    4. There is also the problem that Jesus of Nazareth is never described as having friends in the Roman government. This is merely another observation being a bit weak since it's and argument from silence.

"They hanged Jesus of Nazareth on the Eve of Passover because he practised sorcery and was leading Israel astray." (Babylonian Talmud, Tractate Sanhedrin 43b) (Does not refer to Egypt in this version - might be an alternative version of Talmud - but cannot find this)

I grant you that the above passages are not always particularly convincing… the time distance and the discrepancies and general hostility of the Jewish community to Christ probably mean that Jewish talmud, Mishnah or other writings is not the best way to attest to Jesus's historical existence or paranormal activities. The sources lack credibility because the people who wrote them were not honest with the realities they were describing or about the person they were commenting on.
Thank you for being honest. :)

Many Jews with philosophical training were converted at that time from paul onwards so it is not implausible to believe that Trypho existed.
Certainly it is possible, but it is also quite feasible that Trypho was merely a literary tool to serve as a foil for Justin's apology. If that were the case, then any argument proposed by "Trypho" were based on information already in the Justin's Christian community at that time. The same logic applies to all the content of Justin's "Dialogue".
. now I have a life and the Light to return to.
Enjoy! :D

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by itsjustdave1988
Zakath,

I can't speak for other forms of theism, however, according to Catholic teaching, those who are unintentionally ignorant of Christ's gospel and his church may also attain eternal salvation...In other words, you may have hope yet. Do what your conscience tells you Zakath. Catholicisim calls the conscience the "aboriginal Vicar of Christ." God will speak to you through your conscience, whether you believe it or not. It is as sure to me as how "the sun moon and stars manage to shine on the world somewhere, whether I believe it or not."

God bless,
Thank you for that bit of encouragement Dave. Very appropriate for an "Easter message". :D

I'll definitely keep looking, and listening to my conscience.

If there is a deity out there, perhaps I'll find him yet. :)

Z Man

Originally posted by Zakath
Thank you for that bit of encouragement Dave. Very appropriate for an "Easter message". :D

I'll definitely keep looking, and listening to my conscience.

If there is a deity out there, perhaps I'll find him yet. :)
Wow Zakath, I thought "nicey week" started tomorrow? ;)

temple2006

Zak...Happy Bunny Day...I don't think that the deity is "out there".
The kingdom of God is within you. I think you are looking in the wrong places maybe, like the Urban Cowboy song goes "looking for love in all the wrong places, looking for love in all the wrong faces" :)

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Thank you, and a fine holiday to you, as well T2K.

I still keep lookin', cause one never knows where the elusive deity will turn up. ;)

Aimiel

Dohhh...

Dohhh...

Zakath said, "Now that's a serious flaw in design!"
God is all like... "Dohhh, why didn't I think of that?" :doh: "Next time I need something designed, I'm gonna' have Zakath do it!!!" Man, His ways are past finding out. His Plan of Salvation is offered to all. If we could see Him, He would be to busy to save everyone, what with signing autographs, TV appearances, book tours and all. He lives. We don't live forever without His Grace. With Him inside of us, we become a new creation, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. This Holy Spirit, who lives inside of me, is the Living Water that Jesus referred to, which allows us to be thirsty (wondering about whether we are worthwhile to Him or not) no more. Each time you say, "Show me proof of God," you are demonstrating that thirst. Your conscience gets the better of you, and you look for Him, even in your doubt. I believe that one day, just as soon as you admit to yourself, "OK, I know He exists, somewhere..." that is the instant you will find Him. I see you diligently seeking Him, alone in the dark, waiting for Him to speak first. Well, He has... it is called the Holy Bible. You don't find Him in there, that is just a book... but when you answer that knock at your heart's door, you will find that He has been standing there, patiently, all your life, waiting for you to open up to Him. What could it hurt? He is not evil, He does not have one bad thing in His Hand that He has to give to you. The only thing He has is freedom. Freedom from sin and guilt that He bought for you with the greatest price ever paid. If you ask Him, He will tell you, "Yes, Zakath, if I had it to do all over again, and you were the only one who believed in Me and the only one to accept My Sayings, I would die, just the same as I did for all." :thumb:

I pray that your discovery of Him is sooner, rather than later. I came to Him at an early age, ran away from Him really hard, found myself in a pit of bitterness and unforgiveness, and sought Him harder than I ever could have imagined a human could, about twenty years later. That was the hardest three-and-a-half years of my 'not so easy' life. It was not until He gave me repentance that I found Him. I sought within myself for the ability to repent and just could not find it. He had to give it to me. I remember the moment He did (about seven years ago) as if it were last night. I have promised myself to never turn from Him again. He is good to me, all the time. He cares for me more than I do. He feels the same way about you. :cool: