Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ARCHIVE: Is it ever OK for a Christian to hate someone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Berean
    How long were you a Christian?
    I first asked christ to save me at the age of three, then again to "make sure" at around six or seven. I had gotten myself into some trouble and could have been shipped off to Juvie. Then I lost it at around eighteen. I grew up in a very christian home, my father is very well read in the scriptures and christian theology, so I grew up learning and knowing the word for as long as I can remember. Some of my earliest memories are getting into arguments with some of my non-christian friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny
      Jesus said love your enemies. What are you going to do?
      Love and hate are not equal opposites.

You should love your enemy enough to hate him. Then and only then might he repent.
      Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
      TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Comment

Originally posted by TobiasKage
        I first asked christ to save me at the age of three, then again to "make sure" at around six or seven. I had gotten myself into some trouble and could have been shipped off to Juvie. Then I lost it at around eighteen.
        If all of that is true then you were never sealed by the Holy Spirit and are going to hell.

Just thought you might want to know that fact.

Comment

What do you suppose "perfect hatred" means?
          Jesus gave an ORDER in unambigious terms. He didn't say "Love your enemies, but you can actually perfectly hate them, like david did." No. He said "love your enemies". That was it. No room for hatred. No matter how many old testament verses you pull out that say "God hates this person" or "David hated that person", it doesn't change the fact that Jesus commanded us directly to love our enemies and love our neighbor. As a Christian, I follow what Jesus said. I don't have to rationalize hate in the old testament. I don't have to look for ways to let my flesh through so I can hate like I want to. No. That's not my place. My place is to love, as I was told.
          “There's nothing I like less than bad arguments for a view that I hold dear.” - Daniel Dennett

Comment

If all of that is true then you were never sealed by the Holy Spirit and are going to hell.
            Did God know he was going to fall away?
            “There's nothing I like less than bad arguments for a view that I hold dear.” - Daniel Dennett

Comment

Originally posted by Knight
              Psalms 139:22 I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies.

What do you suppose "perfect hatred" means?
              To me, 'perfect hatred' sounds like an oxymoron. I'm not quite sure. However, I am 100% sure that Jesus always told us to love one another, whether enemies or friends, whoever. I see nowhere where we are commanded to hate anyone.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell

Winner of TOL Post of the Year 2012

Comment

Originally posted by TobiasKage
                Its very conveniant for christians to be able to say, no I really dont hate you, its just your sin I hate. The realization I've come to since I havent been a christian is that, the rest of the world doesnt see that distinction because they dont see a problem with the "sin", they just see hate, thats it.
                Naturally. That's why it's called darkness, because you don't see what you're stumbling over.
                "That man of sin must first be revealed." -- Jesus

If you haven't tried: you've already failed. -- Aimiel

Comment

Yes. Have you ever had a relative that does something that you know is destroying them? You come to have a rabid hate for the particular sin, but your love for that person remains stronger than ever.
                  I have a drunk for a brother-in-law that this applies to, specifically. Yes. I know exactly what you mean.

Comment

Love and hate are not equal opposites.

You should love your enemy enough to hate him. Then and only then might he repent.
                    They will ONLY repent if you hate them?
                    There is NO WAY to call someone to repentance without hating them?

Comment

Originally posted by Aimiel
                      Naturally. That's why it's called darkness, because you don't see what you're stumbling over.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by kmoney
                        They will ONLY repent if you hate them?
                        There is NO WAY to call someone to repentance without hating them?
                        I am speaking of enemies as in evil enemies. Not just your typical "lost" soul.

Comment

I am speaking of enemies as in evil enemies. Not just your typical "lost" soul.
                          Where does the Bible tell us to hate? Actually command us to 'hate someone to repentance?'

Comment

Originally posted by lovemeorhateme
                            To me, 'perfect hatred' sounds like an oxymoron. I'm not quite sure. However, I am 100% sure that Jesus always told us to love one another, whether enemies or friends, whoever. I see nowhere where we are commanded to hate anyone.
                            Maybe your missing the point.

Maybe the point is that love is more than just acceptance and tolerance. Maybe love could include perfect hatred for a wicked enemy. For if that perfect hatred helped the wicked realize they were wicked and then they later repented, your hatred would have been the most loving thing you could have done.

Comment

Just thought you might want to know that fact.
                              I can see where you would say that Knight, really, but doesnt the bible say you'll know them by their fruits? From the age of three to eighteen I was a christian, I went to church every sunday, helpped out in the community, donated my time and energy to helpping the church, I was going to go on a mission trip to Brazil but money problems kept me from going, I was a christian through and through.

I believed every word of it, and if some one had put a gun to my head and asked me if I thought I was going to heaven, I would have answered yes and died content in knowing thats where I was going. I was a christian, through and through. And according to some, I'm still saved, just going through a relaps, but once saved always saved. Others, say I'm doomed to hell, and if thats so, well, to bad for me.

Comment

Jesus gave an ORDER in unambigious terms. He didn't say "Love your enemies, but you can actually perfectly hate them, like david did." No. He said "love your enemies". That was it. No room for hatred. No matter how many old testament verses you pull out that say "God hates this person" or "David hated that person", it doesn't change the fact that Jesus commanded us directly to love our enemies and love our neighbor. As a Christian, I follow what Jesus said. I don't have to rationalize hate in the old testament. I don't have to look for ways to let my flesh through so I can hate like I want to. No. That's not my place. My place is to love, as I was told.
                                Amen.

Comment

Working...
                                X