ARCHIVE: Is it ever OK for a Christian to hate someone?

Aimiel

TobiasKage said:
Listen dude, I was a christian for the majority of my life, I know all about it, all I'm saying is, for a christian to say that they dont hate any one, espetialy people on this site, is totaly bogus. Just read through the posts on the "Coming Out Holiday", from my personal experiance christians hate a whole lot of people. Gays, Muslims, people who dont agree with them. I'm not trying to pick a fight, people hate, I hate this dude for very good reasons.
Those reasons are the darkness that you refuse to acknowledge has you enshrouded. I have plenty of people I could hate, including queers and murderers, were I not obedient to The Lord, Who said we were to love our enemies. Mocking someone, opposing their point of view or even calling them a sinner isn't hatred, but looking the other way and ignoring sin is. I don't hate anyone, in spite of your tainted view of me. I hate a lot of things a lot of people do, but hating someone's sin isn't equal to hating the person who is sinning. Sinners are merely doing what they're supposed to, sinning. You can't fault them for that, merely attempt to get the truth across to them about the consequences, the eternal ones that is.

lovemeorhateme

No, it is not OK to hate anyone. There is no room in the Bible for me to hate someone. Hate is nothing but destructive. It is a highly destructive emotion.

TobiasKage

BANNED
Banned
Aimiel said:
Those reasons are the darkness that you refuse to acknowledge has you enshrouded. I have plenty of people I could hate, including queers and murderers, were I not obedient to The Lord, Who said we were to love our enemies. Mocking someone, opposing their point of view or even calling them a sinner isn't hatred, but looking the other way and ignoring sin is. I don't hate anyone, in spite of your tainted view of me. I hate a lot of things a lot of people do, but hating someone's sin isn't equal to hating the person who is sinning. Sinners are merely doing what they're supposed to, sinning. You can't fault them for that, merely attempt to get the truth across to them about the consequences, the eternal ones that is.

Its very conveniant for christians to be able to say, no I really dont hate you, its just your sin I hate. The realization I've come to since I havent been a christian is that, the rest of the world doesnt see that distinction because they dont see a problem with the "sin", they just see hate, thats it.

Johnny

ShadowMaid said:
Can they really be separated?
Yes. Have you ever had a relative that does something that you know is destroying them? You come to have a rabid hate for the particular sin, but your love for that person remains stronger than ever.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
lovemeorhateme said:
There is no room in the Bible for me to hate someone.
Psalms 139:22 I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies.

What do you suppose "perfect hatred" means?

firechyld

I'm not a Christian, but personally I don't hate anyone. That's not a moral stance... I just can't do it. I can manage an intense dislike for a while, and I can maintain a "preference not to have in my life", but anything stronger than that just doesn't stick. Eventually it all fades into one of the options above.

*shrug*

I've tried for years to figure out why this is, because I think my life would be easier if I could hate people. Others seem to gain such satisfaction and reassurance out of it. And I'm certainly not without people in my life who "deserve" to be hated. But all of them... my rapist, my abuser, that chick next door who always wakes me up in the early morning... just stop seeming important enough for me to maintain such a strong emotive charge against. I guess I just feel I have more important things to worry about.

Apologies... I know this is a deviation from the topic. But it's something that I think about a lot, and... well, I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any input.

But feel free not to leave it here. Back to your on-topic type discussions. :)

TobiasKage

BANNED
Banned
The Berean said:
How long were you a Christian?

I first asked christ to save me at the age of three, then again to "make sure" at around six or seven. I had gotten myself into some trouble and could have been shipped off to Juvie. Then I lost it at around eighteen. I grew up in a very christian home, my father is very well read in the scriptures and christian theology, so I grew up learning and knowing the word for as long as I can remember. Some of my earliest memories are getting into arguments with some of my non-christian friends.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Johnny said:
Jesus said love your enemies. What are you going to do?
Love and hate are not equal opposites.

You should love your enemy enough to hate him. Then and only then might he repent.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
TobiasKage said:
I first asked christ to save me at the age of three, then again to "make sure" at around six or seven. I had gotten myself into some trouble and could have been shipped off to Juvie. Then I lost it at around eighteen.
If all of that is true then you were never sealed by the Holy Spirit and are going to hell.

Just thought you might want to know that fact.

Johnny

Jesus gave an ORDER in unambigious terms. He didn't say "Love your enemies, but you can actually perfectly hate them, like david did." No. He said "love your enemies". That was it. No room for hatred. No matter how many old testament verses you pull out that say "God hates this person" or "David hated that person", it doesn't change the fact that Jesus commanded us directly to love our enemies and love our neighbor. As a Christian, I follow what Jesus said. I don't have to rationalize hate in the old testament. I don't have to look for ways to let my flesh through so I can hate like I want to. No. That's not my place. My place is to love, as I was told.

lovemeorhateme

Knight said:
Psalms 139:22 I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies.

To me, 'perfect hatred' sounds like an oxymoron. I'm not quite sure. However, I am 100% sure that Jesus always told us to love one another, whether enemies or friends, whoever. I see nowhere where we are commanded to hate anyone.

Aimiel

TobiasKage said:
Its very conveniant for christians to be able to say, no I really dont hate you, its just your sin I hate. The realization I've come to since I havent been a christian is that, the rest of the world doesnt see that distinction because they dont see a problem with the "sin", they just see hate, thats it.
Naturally. That's why it's called darkness, because you don't see what you're stumbling over. :cool: :devil:

Aimiel

Johnny said:
Yes. Have you ever had a relative that does something that you know is destroying them? You come to have a rabid hate for the particular sin, but your love for that person remains stronger than ever.
I have a drunk for a brother-in-law that this applies to, specifically. Yes. I know exactly what you mean.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
Love and hate are not equal opposites.

You should love your enemy enough to hate him. Then and only then might he repent.
They will ONLY repent if you hate them?
There is NO WAY to call someone to repentance without hating them?