ARCHIVE: Is it ever OK for a Christian to hate someone?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Mr. 5020 said:
Knight, can you respond to this point by GIT? I'm asking out of sincere curiosity.
Well people are obviously evil so I don't think the point is built a worthy premiss do you?

Mr. 5020

Knight said:
God doesn't seperate the sin from the sinner.

What is sent to hell? The sin or the sinner? :think:
Right, but when He sends them to hell, He does not call them evil, He calls them workers of evil [iniquity].

Matthew 7:22-23 KJV
(22) Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
(23) And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Mr. 5020 said:
Right, but when He sends them to hell, He does not call them evil, He calls them workers of evil [iniquity].

Matthew 7:22-23 KJV
(22) Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
(23) And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
So?

Evil isn't a being unto itself so of course it would take a being to act out evil. That being said God says we are what we are....

Proverbs 23:7 For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.

Therefore if a man thinks evil a man is evil.

Mr. 5020

Knight said:
So?

Evil isn't a being unto itself so of course it would take a being to act out evil. That being said God says we are what we are....

Good point. :up:

I guess...I don't know. What is the definition of righteous hate? I mean, how do I act towards them? Am I nice? Polite? Rude? In a perpetual state of rebuking?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Mr. 5020 said:

I guess...I don't know. What is the definition of righteous hate? I mean, how do I act towards them? Am I nice? Polite? Rude? In a perpetual state of rebuking?
2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.

It all depends on the circumstances right?

Mr. 5020

Knight said:
2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.

It all depends on the circumstances right?
I don't know. It's all so new to me.

God_Is_Truth

Knight said:
It gives them a chance to repent. Read this thread and see for yourself or ask lovemeorhateme and see what he says. :)

well, like i said before, i think it's the kindness of God that leads to repentence. hating is certainly different from kindness.

Being evil would be bad. We all agree.

It can be good to hate (as the Bible states so clearly yet you reject).

well if it were "so clearly" we wouldn't be discussing it now would we? :D

Unrighteous hate is bad, we all agree.

except it doesn't say unrighteous. it just says "hate".

Another excellent example of unrighteous hate.

and another example where it doesn't say it's unrighteous hate. it just says hate.

Until you see that hate is morally neutral you will forver be confused about such verses.

some hate is ok, towards evil things. but i've yet to see reason to hate individuals.

by the way, did you overlook my post on Jesus and his sermon the mount?

God_Is_Truth

Knight said:
God doesn't seperate the sin from the sinner.

What is sent to hell? The sin or the sinner? :think:

the sinner is sent to hell because he sins. he is morally responsible for what he does. but that doesn't mean God hates him. God is acting justly towards him. a judge can love the defendant with all his heart, and still convict him of breaking the law.

that sounds strangely like total depravity :think:

however, i do not think this would justify our hating individuals. i believe we all were born with parts of us that were evil. those parts lead us into committing sin. but we are never so far gone that we cannot repent of our evil and turn to God.

that is why i don't believe we are ever completely evil. complete evil would never repent, never turn away. and since all can turn away, they are not completely evil. and as long as there is some good in people, then there is still hope, and i will continue to do what is necessary to bring the individual to repentence. and as i see it now, that would never include hating them, as hating them would push them away.

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
Git

Git

God_Is_Truth said:
some hate is ok, towards evil things. but i've yet to see reason to hate individuals.

How can a "thing" be evil and what good does it do to hate it?

Does God ever Hate people? And if so, do you condemn him for it?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Mr. 5020 said:

That's where I had trouble understanding. Before to me the thought of a Christian hating someone seemed anti-Chistlike, but once I looked at the scriptures a good case can be made that there is a "righteous" hatred and an "unrighteous" hatred like Knight has been talking about. Even after I realized that my problem was how to practically live that out. I haven't necessarily found any amazing answer except it's different in each situation. I don't think you should approach anyone with hate imediately; if they are showing repentance and an open heart/mind than hate would probably drive them away. If they are stubborn and completely hard-hearted than some righteous hatred might be necessary, some stronger rebukes, potentially "shaking the dust" off, whatever that might mean.

This righteous hatred is new to me also.

God_Is_Truth

CRASH said:
How can a "thing" be evil

murder is by nature evil. any perversion of something God created/declared is evil.

and what good does it do to hate it?

to inform us that we should not do it.

Does God ever Hate people? And if so, do you condemn him for it?

i don't believe he hates people, but hates their deeds. he may hate things about them, but not the person themselves. if God hated individuals, i might question his goodness unless he explained to me some way where you could hate while loving them. but i don't understand how that could be.