ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
    He's gone mad. All logic, reason and rationale are absurd to him.
    You are killin' me, Smalls.
    My New Years Resolution: 1 Peter 3:15
    Omniscient without man's qualification. John 1:3 "Nothing"
    Colossians 1:17 "Nothing" John 15:5 "Nothing"
    Mighty, ALL mighty (omnipotent). Revelation 1:8
    No possible limitation Isaiah 40:25 Joshua 24:15
    Infinite (Omnipresent) Psalm 145:3 Hebrews 4:13

? Yep

Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Knight View Post
      Absurd?? What did I say that was absurd?
      Btw, was going to fix but realized my edit button doesn't work in the ARCHIVE? Is that right?

? Yep

Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Lon View Post
        You are killin' me, Smalls.
        Would you like a s'more?
        sigpic

Comment

Would you like a s'more?
          Good movie, back to discussion...

I suppose calling me MAD wasn't meant in a bad light

? Yep

Comment

If we have opened our hearts to Him then He does know.
            This, btw, partially answered my question. Thanks.

I disagree, but was looking for how an Open Theist understood this.

Would it then be, that God didn't know Abraham's mind but He does our's? Would that be a correct summation?

? Yep

Comment

Good movie, back to discussion...

I suppose calling me MAD wasn't meant in a bad light
              It was meant negatively. You appear to have lost your marbles, Tootles.

Originally posted by Lon View Post
              This, btw, partially answered my question. Thanks.

I disagree, but was looking for how an Open Theist understood this.

Would it then be, that God didn't know Abraham's mind but He does our's? Would that be a correct summation?
              Only in that we have let Him in to know. Yet He still does not know what we do not, regarding our future decisions.
              sigpic

Comment

It was meant negatively.
                I'm sorry. I don't believe you.

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
                You appear to have lost your marbles, Tootles.
                See, you are quoting Hook to me. You can't possibly mean that negatively....

Only in that we have let Him in to know.
                As I said, we disagree but thanks for explaining this part. I was simply trying to reconcile these two ideas and this is the answer, at least post resurrection, to me. Thanks.
                Yet He still does not know what we do not, regarding our future decisions.
                Different day, different disagreement, different questions. Thanks.

? Yep

Comment

I'm sorry. I don't believe you.

See, you are quoting Hook to me. You can't possibly mean that negatively....

As I said, we disagree but thanks for explaining this part. I was simply trying to reconcile these two ideas and this is the answer, at least post resurrection, to me. Thanks.

Different day, different disagreement, different questions. Thanks.
                  Just because I'm quoting a movie doesn't mean I'm not being negative.

But you're welcome.
                  sigpic

Comment

Just because I'm quoting a movie doesn't mean I'm not being negative.
                    Okay, okay. I'm sorry. It is like trying to yell at me while wearing a Mickey Mouse T-shirt. I'm easily distracted (and this isn't a topic that needs either of us in bunched shorts but really a curiosity question for how it works from an OV perspective).

But you're welcome.

? Yep

Comment

My question was how God could know Abraham's mind when he didn't actually kill his son. How could God have possibly known if Abraham would have followed through according to Open View? To me, anything short of killing his son would have left me guessing unless God knew minds and hearts of man.
                      Apparently you just post without reading.
                      Here it is again.

Jeremiah 17:10
                      10 I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

Learn to read what is written.

_____
                      The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
                      ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

Comment

• The mind is not some, albeit complex, machine-like thing. Or some kind of mathematical object. It's not something that, if you know enough of it, you can know it all. It makes no sense to say 'God knows our minds perfectly' as if that meant that God can predict exactly what we will do in any given situation, how we will react to the new recipe your mum is going to make for you next week. Etc. God will know how you react, when you react. So long as he finds it interesting enough to watch you. Because the mind, aka, the human being is a relational thing, a living thing. Being itself day after day, moment after moment. The question is not what can you know about it but how do you relate to it and what is its role in the world?
                        Total Misanthropy.
                        Uncertain salvation.
                        Luck of the draw.
                        Irresistible damnation.
                        Persecution of the saints.

Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so.
                        (The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

RevTestament: It doesn't matter to me too much that the "New Testament wasn't written in Hebrew.
                        Dialogos: Calvin, as a sinner, probably got some things wrong.
                        Brandplucked: I'm shocked that other people disagree with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by genuineoriginal View Post
                          Apparently you just post without reading.
                          Here it is again.

Jeremiah 17:10

10 I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.
                          No, you are just on iggy is all, can't remember why, unless it was in "Our Triune God" thread?

? Yep

Comment

Open theist question:
                            Gen 22:12 And He said, Do not lay your hand on the lad, nor do anything to him. For now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only one, from Me.

If God doesn't know our minds, how can He know if we are a new creation or not? How could He know if we won't rebel in heaven, like the angels did or not? (Knight's angels thread had me thinking which brought this passage to mind) How could He know if there will be no more sorrow in heaven or not?
                            God does know our minds in Open Theism view. Before a test, there is more than one possibility. After the test, the potential future becomes the fixed past through the present. God knows reality as it is and correctly distinguishes past/present/future (but you blur these distinctions wrongly?).
                            Know God and make Him known! (YWAM)

They said: "Where is the God of Elijah?"
                            I say: "Where are the Elijahs of God?" (Ravenhill "Why Revival Tarries")

Rev. 1:17, 18; Jer. 9:23, 24

"No Compromise!" (Keith Green)

The Pledge: He died for me; I'll live for Him.

Comment

Not well thought out, you two. First of all, OV denies omnipotence, even if neither of you do.
                              2nd, omnipotence requires omniscience in order to work and is why the OV denies it. If you give in on one omni- you give in to them all (not that, that would bother me in the least).
                              How do OT deny omnipotence? We deny that omnipotence means doing the logically impossible (making square circles). We deny that God always does all He can do (He does not always destroy people, etc.). You should also agree with this. We also do not deny omniscience, but we do differ as to what is possible vs certain future knowledge. In both views, God is not ignorant of anything logically knowable.
                              Know God and make Him known! (YWAM)

They said: "Where is the God of Elijah?"
                              I say: "Where are the Elijahs of God?" (Ravenhill "Why Revival Tarries")

Rev. 1:17, 18; Jer. 9:23, 24

"No Compromise!" (Keith Green)

The Pledge: He died for me; I'll live for Him.

Comment

Okay, okay. I'm sorry. It is like trying to yell at me while wearing a Mickey Mouse T-shirt. I'm easily distracted (and this isn't a topic that needs either of us in bunched shorts but really a curiosity question for how it works from an OV perspective).
                                OK
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X