You are an idiot

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
Unless you think that regarding Genesis as allegorical is something new then I'm not sure what point you're trying to make? It isn't. It goes back centuries and not some new phenomena to coincide with the advent of modern science. The poetic language is hardly thinly veiled...

It has nothing to do with Christian's having to 'retreat' into some bushel because science has 'played its hand' or some such either as plenty like Alate One etc would tell you. Stripe is free to be as fundamentally literal in reading as he wants. No need for that to impact on anyone else or for that to be the 'status quo' for anyone.

So that being said, just what dog do you have in this race?

I'll give you Genesis, but there are some strange numbers in Leviticus that Christians feel they can avoid... when God explicitly commands people not to.

I prefer consistency, if you believe in a God - damn well act like it.

Arthur Brain

I'll give you Genesis, but there are some strange numbers in Leviticus that Christians feel they can avoid... when God explicitly commands people not to.

I prefer consistency, if you believe in a God - damn well act like it.

If you accept the allegory of Genesis then how about taking the rest to another thread? I'm a bit tired of Stripe and his usual smiley nonsense as it is let alone his apparent need to fuel that addiction here...

Arthur Brain

Why? :AMR:

Because people as far back as Augustine recognized allegory within it?

Are you totally uneducated as regards this or something?

:AMR:

Oh, that'll be number 10 or 11 or something, whatever the point of this thread actually was, blah blah...

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
Because people as far back as Augustine recognized allegory within it?.

That's Augustine's word. The bible is supposed to be God's word...

Surely to a Christian one must trump the other.

So your authority that God was being poetic is Augustine.

Arthur Brain

Er, no it isn't. I was simply using an example of someone from many who saw the allegory as pretty much obvious (as you've already conceded else why would you "give me Genesis" in the context of earlier?)

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I didn't request anything from you, I asked why not. You say, 'because it's stupid'. Why isn't it even worth considering? You've automatically excluded the possibility because it's impossible due to which facts? You are only after a fight, I see. I'm over it.

Here was your question...
I'm just asking why Christians have to believe the process of evolution isn't a part of God's design.
His answer was...

They don't

and yes he is out to ruffle the feathers of those who believe in evolution. I quite enjoy that about him!

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Good post!
Augustine was a hack, that loved Plato more than the God of the Bible!

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
Er, no it isn't. I was simply using an example of someone from many who saw the allegory as pretty much obvious (as you've already conceded else why would you "give me Genesis" in the context of earlier?)

Even if God used poetry why does that mean what he says wasn't supposed to be true? It makes more sense literally than as poetry. Plus I've read many sources saying it doesn't appear to be Hebrew poetry from how it is written.

Why would your God start his book with a vague poetry of how he did it all?

Posted from the TOL App!

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Selaphiel

I'm pretty sure Christianity gets to define its own scriptural hermeneutics. To see something as the word of God (for Christians this does not mean the same thing as when a Muslim is calling the Quran the word of God, the Bible is not divine dictation) does not entail that it is read as a scientific account or even as history in the case of Genesis. A myth can be the word of God insofar as the point of the myth is considered to say something true.

And no, the authority is not simply Augustine, it is church tradition. Allegorical readings goes much further back than Augustine. The Bible never existed in a vacuum, read only in light of itself, as some modern Christians seems to believe. The Bible was first and foremost read in the light of Christ, Christ is the word of God and the absolute revelation in the Christian faith.

So no, Augustine does not trump God, but scripture is scripture insofar it is read in the light of Christ by the church in light of its traditions (that is theology, worship and liturgy). And for them, Genesis was not simply a descriptive account of origins.

Plus I've read many sources saying it doesn't appear to be Hebrew poetry from how it is written.

Correct, but ultimately irrelevant for Christian theology.

First of all, there is not one account, there are clearly two different accounts which are very different from each other and they have different origins. Genesis one was probably a polemic against contemporary creation accounts where natural entities such as the stars, sun, moon and so forth were divine entities themselves. Genesis 1 opposes this by talking about them as created. It has also been seen as a polemic against the idea that the creator God created by violence, that is imposing his power upon some pre-existing matter or in some cases a beast, in Genesis 1 God simply speaks things into existence (although this is disputed by some experts, since the verb bara does not really entail creation from nothing as the word literally means "to form"). That is all historically interesting, but not really relevant to Christian theology, at least as it is classically understood.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm pretty sure Christianity gets to define its own scriptural hermeneutics.
Nope. You get your feet held to the flame of rational criticism just like anyone else.

To see something as the word of God (for Christians this does not mean the same thing as when a Muslim is calling the Quran the word of God, the Bible is not divine dictation) does not entail that it is read as a scientific account or even as history in the case of Genesis. A myth can be the word of God insofar as the point of the myth is considered to say something true.
Evolutionists love to talk about what it is possible to believe rather than defend what they do believe.

And no, the authority is not simply Augustine, it is church tradition.
The bible trumps tradition. :up:

Allegorical readings goes much further back than Augustine.
And therefore, evolution. :chuckle:

For them, Genesis was not simply a descriptive account of origins.
Who are "they"?

What you have to do is show how "Six days" cannot mean what it plainly says. Speaking in riddles does not cut it.

Selaphiel

Good post!
Augustine was a hack, that loved Plato more than the God of the Bible!

Yes, because orthodox Christianity originated 1500 years after Augustine. Sorry, but your biblicism never existed until modern times. And if a literal reading of Genesis is the only way to read the Bible, then the scriptures would be nonsense that should be rejected by any thinking person.