ECT Write a few lines summarizing these chapters

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Who gave you "our" definition of Sola Scriptura, and how did it differ from your definition?

The definition of Sola Scriptura I have gathered (from STP, John W for example) is that only the bible should be read. No commentaries, study books, confessions nor creeds. Not any works or opinions of men, which of course footnotes happen to be.

Folks can be lead away by others opinions.

Maybe temporarily, but not for long, if the Holy Spirit truly abides in the heart . . for saving faith is His fruit and it is permanent.

Jesus promised the Holy Spirit would lead His disciples into all truth (John 16:13) and I believe every Christian can claim that promise as his own. Prayer for discernment and protection from error, is certainly in order also.

Interplanner

Nope. But you certainly do.

The other way around my friend. I'm referring to 40 years of reading Christian materials and coming here to TOL this year and finding you saying that no one else has it correct about the NT. Not even many others who believe the new covenant is strictly for the ethne Israel do that with the NT. Good luck.

Interplanner

The definition of Sola Scriptura I have gathered (from STP, John W for example) is that only the bible should be read. No commentaries, study books, confessions nor creeds. Not any works or opinions of men, which of course footnotes happen to be.

Maybe temporarily, but not for long, if the Holy Spirit truly abides in the heart . . for saving faith is His fruit and it is permanent.

Jesus promised the Holy Spirit would lead His disciples into all truth (John 16:13) and I believe every Christian can claim that promise as his own. Prayer for discernment and protection from error, is certainly in order also.

Historically, sola Scriptura did not mean the avoidance of other reading. It meant discernment as in Heb 4.

musterion

The Reformed shall not live by the Word of God alone, but by every Word that proceeds from the mouths of the 'early church fathers' and from the settled pronouncements of eminent orthodox scholarship. Yea verily, world without end, His sovereign election be done, His kingdom has already come, etc.

Interplanner

The Reformed shall not live by the Word of God alone, but by every Word that proceeds from the mouths of the 'early church fathers' and from the settled pronouncements of eminent orthodox scholarship. Yea verily, world without end, His sovereign election be done, His kingdom has already come, etc.

And what if you learn that the eminent scholarship affected the 'word of God' that you read today, anyway?

The OP requested that you write summary lines of those chapters, maybe 2-3 if they have distinct sections.

Right Divider

Body part
The other way around my friend. I'm referring to 40 years of reading Christian materials and coming here to TOL this year and finding you saying that no one else has it correct about the NT. Not even many others who believe the new covenant is strictly for the ethne Israel do that with the NT. Good luck.
Well whoopee.
  • Get a Bible (not that NIV crap).
  • Open to Jeremiah
  • Turn to chapter 31
  • Read
  • Open to Hebews
  • Turn to chapter 8
  • Read
  • Learn (but in your case, probably not).
Do you have any idea how bad much of the "Christian Materials" are?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I believe Sola Scriptura is best described by Paul when he tells to search the scriptures to determine if what anyone has told you is of the truth or not.
Not search commentaries.
Scripture has commentary built in.

While I do enjoy threads on particular "subjects" of scripture, I do think the best way to study is book by book, verse by verse.
I think it's unfortunate that bible study has been reduced to sound bytes and one liners.
Getting harder and harder to find folks that what to study the book itself, rather than just certain doctrines of the book.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Historically, sola Scriptura did not mean the avoidance of other reading. It meant discernment as in Heb 4.

Yes. Along with the acknowledgement that Holy Scripture is the final authority in the believers' life.

No matter what we hear or read, all things "religious" must conform to what God has revealed to us . . about Himself, His purposes, and His will. His is the last Word in things of faith and practice.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
I believe Sola Scriptura is best described by Paul when he tells to search the scriptures to determine if what anyone has told you is of the truth or not.

Exactly. This is my definition of Sola Scriptura too.

While I do enjoy threads on particular "subjects" of scripture, I do think the best way to study is book by book, verse by verse.

Indeed. And compare Scripture with Scripture. There are no contradictions in the bible, so every verse must stand the scrutiny of the bible in its entirety.

I think it's unfortunate that bible study has been reduced to sound bytes and one liners.
Getting harder and harder to find folks that what to study the book itself, rather than just certain doctrines of the book.

Agreed. And I believe it is a BIG mistake to go hunting in the bible for verses to prove one's opinions or personal views.

Let the Word of God test and teach!

Interplanner

Exactly. This is my definition of Sola Scriptura too.

Indeed. And compare Scripture with Scripture. There are no contradictions in the bible, so every verse must stand the scrutiny of the bible in its entirety.

Agreed. And I believe it is a BIG mistake to go hunting in the bible for verses to prove one's opinions or personal views.

Let the Word of God test and teach!

The expression was used by the reformers to undercut the authority of the Papacy's bulls and decrees.

northwye

"Nick, tell you what. Write them, but don't post them. I trust you and it will be a good exercise. Just keep one rule: don't go long. Try one sentence per 'section' as found in a good trans like NIV, or 2 at the most for a chapter. "

"....as found in a good translation like NIV..."

Is determining which is a "good translation" a matter of opinion? Or, is a good translation one which is accurate in finding English words and sentence structure which best fits the Textus Receptus? Or, maybe a "good translation" is not even from the Textus Receptus, but from the Westcott-Hort Greek, or mostly out of the Westcott-Hort. And why would an English translation from the Westcott-Hort be a "good translation?" Because the Westcott-Hort is based on the Sinaiticus and Vaticanus texts which are older than the existing Byzantine texts???????

How long ago was the Westcott-Hort rationale written for deciding that the older Sinaiticus and Vaticanus texts are best because they are older than the Byzantine texts in existence? And for how long is this preference for the Westcott-Hort Greek text been taught in the Theologically Correct Christian seminaries?

Maybe its better never to have been inside one of these places.

http://www.themoorings.org/doctrine/issues/versions/WH.html

"The Byzantine text is not just a later recension, but contains distinctive readings, going back to the second century..."

"Since the late nineteenth century, when Westcott and Hort dominated textual criticism, scholars have discovered many dozen papyri containing portions of the Greek New Testament. These papyri, dating from the second and third centuries A.D., are much older than the Alexandrian codices that Westcott and Hort relied upon. Although most of these papyri are fragmentary, they contain several of the readings that Westcott and Hort identified as late conflates."

Conflate means to merge two texts together into one text.

And among the three great early English translations, the Tyndale New Testament, the Geneva Bible and the King James Version, about 80 percent of the Tyndale New Testament's verse wordings were used, sometimes exactly, in the Geneva Bible and In the King James.

See: http://www.tyndale.org/tsj03/mansbridge.html

"It will be seen that in these nine chapters more than 83% of the words in the Geneva Version were taken direct from Tyndale, and more than 81% of the words in the King James Version. I believe this sample is statistically valid for the whole New Testament."

Tyndale's accuracy in translating the Textus Receptus into English is shown in the use of his English word choices and sentence structures by the committees that created the Geneva Bible and the King James Version. Remember that Tyndale was one man inspired by God, and he was then part of a very, very small remnant of Israel.

In some instances in which Tyndale uses a different English word consistently than do the Geneva Bible and the King James, as he does for ekklesia, it is because Tyndale is following the principle that says to use an English word closest in meaning at the time of translation to the meaning of the Greek word at the time the original Greek text was written. This is the case with Tyndale's consistent use of congregation for ekklesia.

The Geneva and King James translations consistently use church for ekklesia. Congregation has a meaning much closer to the meaning of ekklesia, as a meeting, assembly or congregation, than does church which the Oxford English Dictionary reveals. See: http://civ.icelord.net/read.php?f=3&i=63650&t=63650&v=f

"CHURCH: FORMS: (a) cirice, cyrice, chiriche, churiche, chereche, CIRCE, cyrce, chyrce, cirke, etc., etc."

"...there is now a general
agreement among scholars in referring it to the Greek word, properly kurion adj. 'of the Lord, dominicum, dominical' (f. Kurios lord), which
occurs, from the 3rd century at least, used substantively (sc. doma, or the like) = 'house of the Lord.." But the early use of Kurios was perhaps to a pagan house of worship."

The Oxford English Dictionary mentions the Greek goddess circe, and also says in caps in its list of spellings of church, the word CIRCE. The Catholic Encyclopedia lists circe as one spelling of church, but does not mention a possible origin of circe from the Greek goddess circe.

"The L. circus, and a Gothic word kйlikn 'tower, upper chamber' (app. originally
Gaulish) have both been proposed (the latter suggested by the Alemannic chilihha), but are set aside as untenable; "

Early meanings for cirice, chiriche, churiche, chereche, or CIRCE may have been rejected by the churches because of the pagan implications of these meanings.

The churches much prefer the definition of church as Body of Christ than any of the pagan implications attached to the earlier use of this word in various spellings. But ekklesia is a common noun and any word equating to Body of Christ, Saints, the Elect or Redeemed Israel would be a Proper Noun and capitalized. So if Church becomes defined as a proper noun, then it should be in caps.

Whereas the Geneva Bible and the King James consistently use dispensation for oikonomía, Tyndale does not use dispensation at all in any of the texts where the Greek oikonomía appears. This is very interesting and I am not sure exactly why Tyndale avoided the use of dispensation when the earlier Wycliffe English Catholic New Testament of 1382, translated into Middle English from the Latin Vulgate, consistently used dispensacioun.

Another interesting difference between the Tyndale New Testament and the earlier Wycliffe English Catholic New Testament and the two later great English Bibles, the Geneva and King James, is for II Thessalonians 2: 7.

The Tyndale New Testament for II Thesssalonians 2: 7 says "For the mystery of that iniquity doeth he all ready work which only looketh until it be taken out of ye way."

For II Thessalonians 2: 7 the Geneva Bible says "For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: 7 only he who now h letteth [will let], until he be taken out of the way. "

And the King James for II Thessalonians 2: 7 has "For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way."

The Tyndale New Testament for II Thessalonians 2: 7 gives us a different doctrine than do the Geneva Bible and the King James. Before dismissing the Tyndale version because it does not agree with the present day church version of the restrainer who restrains the appearing of the man of sin until he, the restrainer, is taken out of the way, consider the credibility of Tyndale as a Bible translator.

Tyndale says in II Thessalonians that the mystery of iniquity works until it, the working of iniquity, is taken out of the way. It does not say anything implying that a restrainer restrains until he or it is taken out of the way.

Of course, this is too long and not suitable for use in the dialectic.

Last edited:

Interplanner

"Nick, tell you what. Write them, but don't post them. I trust you and it will be a good exercise. Just keep one rule: don't go long. Try one sentence per 'section' as found in a good trans like NIV, or 2 at the most for a chapter. "

"....as found in a good translation like NIV..."

Is determining which is a "good translation" a matter of opinion? Or, is a good translation one which is accurate in finding English words and sentence structure which best fits the Textus Receptus? Or, maybe a "good translation" is not even from the Textus Receptus, but from the Westcott-Hort Greek, or mostly out of the Westcott-Hort. And why would an English translation from the Westcott-Hort be a "good translation?" Because the Westcott-Hort is based on the Sinaiticus and Vaticanus texts which are older than the existing Byzantine texts???????

How long ago was the Westcott-Hort rationale written for deciding that the older Sinaiticus and Vaticanus texts are best because they are older than the Byzantine texts in existence? And for how long is this preference for the Westcott-Hort Greek text been taught in the Theologically Correct Christian seminaries?

Maybe its better never to have been inside one of these places.

http://www.themoorings.org/doctrine/issues/versions/WH.html

"The Byzantine text is not just a later recension, but contains distinctive readings, going back to the second century..."

"Since the late nineteenth century, when Westcott and Hort dominated textual criticism, scholars have discovered many dozen papyri containing portions of the Greek New Testament. These papyri, dating from the second and third centuries A.D., are much older than the Alexandrian codices that Westcott and Hort relied upon. Although most of these papyri are fragmentary, they contain several of the readings that Westcott and Hort identified as late conflates."

Conflate means to merge two texts together into one text.

And among the three great early English translations, the Tyndale New Testament, the Geneva Bible and the King James Version, about 80 percent of the Tyndale New Testament's verse wordings were used, sometimes exactly, in the Geneva Bible and In the King James.

See: http://www.tyndale.org/tsj03/mansbridge.html

"It will be seen that in these nine chapters more than 83% of the words in the Geneva Version were taken direct from Tyndale, and more than 81% of the words in the King James Version. I believe this sample is statistically valid for the whole New Testament."

Tyndale's accuracy in translating the Textus Receptus into English is shown in the use of his English word choices and sentence structures by the committees that created the Geneva Bible and the King James Version. Remember that Tyndxale was one man inspired by God, and he was then part of a very, very small remnant of Israel.

In some instances in which Tyndale uses a different English word consistently than do the Geneva Bible and the King James, as he does for ekklesia, it is because Tyndale is following the principle that says to use an English word closest in meaning at the time of translation to the meaning of the Greek word at the time the original Greek text was written. This is the case with Tyndale's consistent use of congregation for ekklesia.

The Geneva and King James translations consistently use church for ekklesia. Congregation has a meaning much closer to the meaning of ekklesia, as a meeting, assembly or congregation, than does church which the Oxford English Dictionary reveals. See: http://civ.icelord.net/read.php?f=3&i=63650&t=63650&v=f

"CHURCH: FORMS: (a) cirice, cyrice, chiriche, churiche, chereche, CIRCE, cyrce, chyrce, cirke, etc., etc."

"...there is now a general
agreement among scholars in referring it to the Greek word, properly kurion adj. 'of the Lord, dominicum, dominical' (f. Kurios lord), which
occurs, from the 3rd century at least, used substantively (sc. doma, or the like) = 'house of the Lord.." But the early use of Kurios was perhaps to a pagan house of worship."

The Oxford English Dictionary mentions the Greek goddess circe, and also says in caps in its list of spellings of church, the word CIRCE. The Catholic Encyclopedia lists circe as one spelling of church, but does not mention a possible origin of circe from the Greek goddess circe.

"The L. circus, and a Gothic word kйlikn 'tower, upper chamber' (app. originally
Gaulish) have both been proposed (the latter suggested by the Alemannic chilihha), but are set aside as untenable; "

Early meanings for cirice, chiriche, churiche, chereche, or CIRCE may have been rejected by the churches because of the pagan implications of these meanings.

The churches much prefer the definition of church as Body of Christ than any of the pagan implications attached to the earlier use of this word in various spellings. But ekklesia is a common noun and any word equating to Body of Christ, Saints, the Elect or Redeemed Israel would be a Proper Noun and capitalized. So if Church becomes defined as a proper noun, then it should be in caps.

Whereas the Geneva Bible and the King James consistently use dispensation for oikonomía, Tyndale does not use dispensation at all in any of the texts where the Greek oikonomía appears. This is very interesting and I am not sure exactly why Tyndale avoided the use of dispensation when the earlier Wycliffe English Catholic New Testament of 1382, translated into Middle Ebglish from the Latin Vulgate, consistently used dispensacioun.

Another interesting difference between the Tyndale New Testament and the earlier Wycliffe English Catholic New Testament and the two later great English Bibles, the Geneva and King James, is for II Thessalonians 2: 7.

The Tyndale New Testament for II Thesssalonians 2: 7 says "For the mystery of that iniquity doeth he all ready work which only looketh until it be taken out of ye way."

For II Thessalonians 2: 7 the Geneva Bible says "For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: 7 only he who now h letteth [will let], until he be taken out of the way. "

And the King James for II Thessalonians 2: 7 has "For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way."

The Tyndale New Testament for II Thessalonians 2: 7 gives us a different doctrine than do the Geneva Bible and the King James. Before dismissing the Tyndale version because it does not agree with the present day church version of the restrainer who restrains the appearing of the man of sin until he, the restrainer, is taken out of the way, consider the credibility of Tyndale as a Bible translator.

Tyndale says in II Thessalonians that the mystery of iniquity works until it, the working of iniquity, is taken out of the way. It does not say anything implying that a restrainer restrains until he or it is taken out of the way.

Of course, this is too long and not suitable for use in the dialectic.

North,
do you know if the UBS Greek text from the 70s was new work after W-Hort?

northwye

http://www.kjvtoday.com/home/q-dont-christian-leaders-prefer-the-nestle-aland-text

"The international committee that produced the United Bible Societies Greek New Testament, not only adopted the Westcott and Hort edition as its basic text, but followed their methodology in giving attention to both external and internal consideration" (James Brooks, Bible Interpreters of the 20th century, p. 264).

Today, this NA/UBS text is the standard Greek New Testament text for study in evangelical seminaries and translation by Bible societies. All major evangelical Bible translations printed today, except the King James Version, New King James Version and some others, are based on the NA/UBS text. Many who are taught to use the NA/UBS text are fine evangelical pastors and scholars who are sound in many of their doctrines. Nevertheless, the architects and custodians of the NA/UBS text were theological liberals who did not believe in the traditional Protestant canon and the inerrancy and infallibility thereof."

But for those addicted to the dialectic way of making arguments and are more interested in that than in Truth, almost anything can be made a part of the dialectic, including the issue of the source of the Westcott-Hort Greek text of 1881. In fact, that text itself can be considered to be done as an anti-thesis to the Thesis, which is the Byzantine Greek text. Westcott-Hort is part of the Great Rebellion against the Thesis or Bible Truth and it itself can be seen to be a wrecking machine.

The only guy who I have been influenced by since way back in the early seventies - Francis Schaeffer - who went to a Christian Theological Seminary for a while was Dean Gotcher..

Gotcher had been trained in Christian education and once attended a Christian seminary for a while. But one day, after his professor had been spending a lot of time on some theologian, Gotcher got up in the class and asked why they were spending so much time on this theologian rather than studying the word of God. There was nothing but silence from the professor and the class. Gotcher got up and walked out, never to return to a Christian seminary.

As a result, we got the insights Dean Gotcher gives us on the dialectic.. He went on the road and has been giving talks on the dialectic and related topics for many years, mostly outside of the churches, though sometimes small churches invite him to speak to them. Most of the churches, especially the larger ones, dislike him. Gotcher became a kind of Trump of the theological world who exposes Theological Correctness, which is the Wrecking Machines, like the Westcott-Hort deception.

Interplanner

http://www.kjvtoday.com/home/q-dont-christian-leaders-prefer-the-nestle-aland-text

"The international committee that produced the United Bible Societies Greek New Testament, not only adopted the Westcott and Hort edition as its basic text, but followed their methodology in giving attention to both external and internal consideration" (James Brooks, Bible Interpreters of the 20th century, p. 264).

Today, this NA/UBS text is the standard Greek New Testament text for study in evangelical seminaries and translation by Bible societies. All major evangelical Bible translations printed today, except the King James Version, New King James Version and some others, are based on the NA/UBS text. Many who are taught to use the NA/UBS text are fine evangelical pastors and scholars who are sound in many of their doctrines. Nevertheless, the architects and custodians of the NA/UBS text were theological liberals who did not believe in the traditional Protestant canon and the inerrancy and infallibility thereof."

But for those addicted to the dialectic way of making arguments and are more interested in that than in Truth, almost anything can be made a part of the dialectic, including the issue of the source of the Westcott-Hort Greek text of 1881. In fact, that text itself can be considered to be done as an anti-thesis to the Thesis, which is the Byzantine Greek text. Westcott-Hort is part of the Great Rebellion against the Thesis or Bible Truth and it itself can be seen to be a wrecking machine.

The only guy who I have been influenced by since way back in the early seventies - Francis Schaeffer - who went to a Christian Theological Seminary for a while was Dean Gotcher..

Gotcher had been trained in Christian education and once attended a Christian seminary for a while. But one day, after his professor had been spending a lot of time on some theologian, Gotcher got up in the class and asked why they were spending so much time on this theologian rather than studying the word of God. There was nothing but silence from the professor and the class. Gotcher got up and walked out, never to return to a Christian seminary.

As a result, we got the insights Dean Gotcher gives us on the dialectic.. He went on the road and has been giving talks on the dialectic and related topics for many years, mostly outside of the churches, though sometimes small churches invite him to speak to them. Most of the churches, especially the larger ones, dislike him. Gotcher became a kind of Trump of the theological world who exposes Theological Correctness, which is the Wrecking Machines, like the Westcott-Hort deception.

But you would think the criticism would be that this shows in, for ex., the NIV? Does it? There are plenty of miralces, and ways to try to support a restoration of Israel in it.

northwye

"Patch" - The Preterist Pirate is like a pirate with a patch over one eye who can only see with one eye. The preterist only sees the change from the Old Covenant to the New Covenant. He cannot see that there is important prophecy, for example, in the Book of Revelation, which even now is still future, such as the conflict between the dragon-serpent and the remnant in Revelation 12. The preterist also thinks that if a prophecy, for example in Revelation 17 of the woman as false religion and Mystery Babylon, had a partial fulfillment in the rise of the apostate Catholic Church, that this early fulfillment exhausted that prophecy.

The preterist with only one eye is, like the dispensationalist, hindered in his spiritual understanding by being locked within the Capital C. Church, and within the dialectic mind, like the dispensationalist. If you make the church, translated from ekklesia, which means meeting, assembly or congregation into the Body of Christ, Church should be in Caps because you have made it into a proper noun.

The preterist is just as much addicted to the dialectic way of thinking and of making an argument - in fact he may be more interested in argument than in finding out the Truth - as is the dispensationalist - Separation Theology guy.

"God cannot speak into the pre-flood, Tower of
Babel, Sodom and Gomorrah, dialectic mind..." Dean Gotcher

Luke 17: 26 is a prophecy which predicts that in the last times of the "church age" people will have a kind of mind,a mentality, a set of personality traits, a world view, and a carnal
or I Corinthians 2: 14 natural mind not knowing the things of the Spirit, and II Timothy 3: 1-8 type of mind which is like that which existed in the days of
Noah. Dean Gotcher calls this mind the Pre-Flood, Tower of Babel,
Sodom and Gomarrah, dialectic mind. It is the mind predicted in Luke 17: 26 and in II Timothy 3: 1-8 but with the dialectic bent warned about in I Timothy 6: 20-21 added to it. There Paul warns about the dialectic way of thinking and arguing and uses the Greek words αντιθεσεις της ψευδωνυμου γνωσεως, or anti-thesis of falsely called knowledge. Paul does not use the Greek word διαλεκτική, or dialectic. But - αντιθεσεις, or anti-thesis, is a technical term in the early Greek philosophy of the διαλεκτική, or dialectic, before the time of Christ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialectic

"Dialectic (also dialectics and the dialectical method), from Ancient Greek διαλεκτική, is a method of argument.....The word dialectic originated in ancient Greece, and was made popular by Plato in the Socratic dialogues."

Ol "Patch" the one eyed preterist doesn't see the prophecy in Luke 17: 25, or II Timothy 3: 1-8 and Paul's very brief mention of the dialectic in I Timothy 6: 20-21.

Gotcher goes on to say "The key to dialectic thinking is the right to
question, mock, and
ridicule the traditional, didactic, patriarch authority paradigm. The
facilitator's agenda is to create and sustain such an environment. "

Gotcher is looking at the world as though it is just a huge encounter group run by Carl Rogers and his facilitators of the seventies in California.

"The modern apostate Christian church mirrors the ancient haughty Pharisees when confronted with the truth." John 8 shows the Pharisees making use of the dialectic in arguing against the Truth of Christ who was there with them physically. The modern apostate Christian is both the dispensationalist and the preterist.

Last edited: