ECT Why would Paul say this to Born Again Christians:

Cross Reference

Try to focus.

I asked you to "show where Paul ever said God declaring the believer dead to His condemning Law and alive to Himself forever in His Son is conditioned upon anything more than having believed the Gospel of grace."

You came back with Romans 8:1, which shows no conditionality.

Only to your untoward understanding would it make it that way to you which I expected all along would be what I willingly knew would confront me.

Take a hike!

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit" Romans 8:1 (KJV)

It is not so that all who are in Christ Jesus, do not walk after the Spirit always.

It should be obvious that many in Christ do walk after the flesh, not always, as Paul has just explained in the previous verses.

Paul experienced his need for further submission to Christ after his conversion.

Few ever proceed that far.

Even Christ continued to lay down His life to His Father many times for He knew where the flesh wanted Him to go and do.

His greatest concern was that He might deal with those immediately, who inflicted such pain on Him.

Yes there is evidence of this.

LA

Danoh

The "no condemnation" of Romans 8:1 refers to freedom from Romans 7:24's "body of this death" - it refers to freedom in Christ from Romans 7: 21's "I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me."

musterion

I've always taken Romans 8:1 most simply as Paul's encouraging guarantee that, first and foremost, the believer is under no condemnation from the Father despite the constant war waged against the new man/spirit by the old man/flesh, which will not stop until we die or are raptured. But that does not preclude other interpretations as well.

Cross Reference

I've always taken Romans 8:1 most simply as Paul's encouraging guarantee that, first and foremost, the believer is under no condemnation from the Father despite the constant war waged against the new man/spirit by the old man/flesh, which will not stop until we die or are raptured. But that does not preclude other interpretations as well.

Well, Satan believes . . and trembles. But Paul doesn't say that, does he?
Why not read it again for a better understanding ad then write your own commentary?

oatmeal

"And I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless." 1 Thess. 5:23.

Because each of those three parts can be misused.

The body can be misused, the soul can be misused and the spirit can be misused.

Romans 12:1-3, I Corinthians 12-14

Cross Reference

Because each of those three parts can be misused.

The body can be misused, the soul can be misused and the spirit can be misused.

Romans 12:1-3, I Corinthians 12-14

Mans soul can only be mis-guided by his flesh; any love he has for the world. Ergo, Do not love the world.

Only by the will of man, God will not come against, will his soul must choose between spirit and body in all matters of his life. "Choose you this day whom you will serve". . . and "to whom you 'choose' to obey, his servant you are".

SaulToPaul 2

Heb 3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
Heb 3:13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
Heb 3:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;

You can stay.

I doubt that anyone cares either way.

LA

Eph 5:30 (KJV)

Hebrews- not yet partakers
Ephesians- already partakers

Study.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit" Romans 8:1 (KJV)

It is not so that all who are in Christ Jesus, do not walk after the Spirit always.

It should be obvious that many in Christ do walk after the flesh, not always, as Paul has just explained in the previous verses.

Paul experienced his need for further submission to Christ after his conversion.

Few ever proceed that far.

Even Christ continued to lay down His life to His Father many times for He knew where the flesh wanted Him to go and do.

His greatest concern was that He might deal with those immediately, who inflicted such pain on Him.

Yes there is evidence of this.

LA

Romans 8:9 (KJV)

Rom 8:12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
Rom 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

LA

Danoh

Rom 8:12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
Rom 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

LA

The Apostle Paul has been talking about attempting to serve the Lord in the flesh.

In others words, in your own strength.

By the time he gets to the above passages, the sense is that if you attempt to please God in your own strength you won't be able to; you'll have died spiritually - you"ll not have produced spiritual fruit that God will not accept.

If you however put to death the deeds of the flesh through the Spirit - not in your own strength - you shall live.

You will produce spiritual fruit that has life because it is empowered by the Spirit.

See also Galatians 5.

You miss all this in your understanding because you have yet to grasp that the issue Paul is dealing with and addressing, is the issue of Identity.

Identity in Christ given the Believer the moment he or she trusts Christ - see the end of Gal. 2 and into Gal. 3.

What you are doing is looking at things from a lower level of abstraction. The lower level of Behavior - which was what the Law based acceptance before God on, Rom. 10.

See Romans 5 and 6 - the issue is now Identity based behavior.

The issue now is do because you are, not in order to be...

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Apostle Paul has been talking about attempting to serve the Lord in the flesh.

By the time he gets to the above passages, the sense is that if you attempt to please God in your own strength you won't be able to; you'll have died spiritually - you"ll not have produced spiritual fruit that God will not accept.

If you however put to death the deeds of the flesh through the Spirit - not in your own strength - you shall live.

You will produce spiritual fruit that has life because it is empowered by the Spirit.

See also Galatians 5.

You miss all this in your understanding because you have yet to grasp that the issue Paul is dealing with and addressing, is the issue of Identity.

Identity in Christ given the Believer the moment he or she trusts Christ - see the end of Gal. 2 and into Gal. 3.

What you are doing is looking at things from a lower level of abstraction. The lower level of Behavior - which was what the Law based acceptance before God on, Rom. 10.

I did not miss anything.

Mat 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Mat 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
Mat 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
Mat 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
Mat 7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
Mat 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Mat 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Mat 12:33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.
Mat 12:34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
Mat 12:35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
Mat 12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
Mat 12:37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Note John W and Grosnick Marowbe.

LA

Cross Reference

See also Galatians 5.

Does that mean I shouldn't be courteous and kind, benevolent and gracious. How about saying grace at the lunch bar?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I did not miss anything.

Mat 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Mat 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
Mat 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
Mat 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
Mat 7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
Mat 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Mat 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Mat 12:33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.
Mat 12:34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
Mat 12:35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
Mat 12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
Mat 12:37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Note John W and Grosnick Marowbe.

LA

Matthew was written to the Hebrews. You really need to learn
how to rightly divide the word of God. Otherwise, you'll remain
in ignorance and utter confusion.